Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
Just now, Steve Murr said:

confirmation -0.5c at home

ground dry & prepped for the meat & 2 veg later....

My god what are you planning...? This is hardly the weather...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
2 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

If it's dry you might want to start the foreplay before 4pm :diablo:

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

i know you like snow but thats taking it too far! :shok:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

It's definitely freezing now judging by the lack of dripping and the icicles on my canopy

_20180317_125308.thumb.JPG.0e2f6d6291a1a8257035c472a558c5ba.JPG

Edited by D.V.R
  • Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

I’ve heard of making snow angels in the snow, but, wow. That’s brave and shows dedication

Edited by SnowBungle

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

Little stories here - my son was born on 05.03.1970 at Hemel Hempstead - it started snowing quite heavily the previous day, so had to trek out to the telephone box to call the midwife to ensure that she was given plenty of notice. 

Our sone was born about 0500 the next morning. The snow depth by then was about 20 cm, possibly a little more, so later that morning I took our daughter then aged just short of 2 years into the garden to make her an igloo. 

The second is about 06.03.2010, we were down at our house at Capestang in southern France. During the evening it started to snow, large flakes and I was quite surprised. It started off wet but with time it became dry. 

The next day some friends of ours from Montpellier visited and reported that the A9 was almost blocked, mostly by the heavies losing traction on the uphill gradients but they had been able to get through with their 4X4. 

The following day, the Monday we decided to go shopping in Narbonne. We got as far as Cuxac to find that their were diversions, so we travelled through the villages.

The scenes were beautiful with the contrast of the fresh white snow against a wonderful azure sky - the French were using JCB's to clear the snow and once the road had been cleared most of the road surface, except for patches of melt water, became dry very quickly. 

I still regret not taking my camera with me. 

At Narbonne in the car park of the Commercial Centre I was fascinated to see the powder snow being blown off the roof of Tri Dome. 

It remained fine for the rest of the week with thaws during the day and frosts at night. 

Towards the end of the week, en route to Narbonne again, I saw the Sapeurs Pompiers dealing with a small fire in a ditch, though snow was still lying over a lot of the surface. It appeared a paradox that with the snow about the vegetation was still dry enough to burn readily in a small bush fire. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

I went out for a coffee earlier, moderate snowfall gave a sugar coating on greenery, but nothing else. Right now it’s fluctuating between snizzle and snow. Absolutely nothing is settling though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
1 minute ago, mike Meehan said:

Little stories here - my son was born on 05.03.1970 at Hemel Hempstead - it started snowing quite heavily the previous day, so had to trek out to the telephone box to call the midwife to ensure that she was given plenty of notice. 

Our sone was born about 0500 the next morning. The snow depth by then was about 20 cm, possibly a little more, so later that morning I took our daughter then aged just short of 2 years into the garden to make her an igloo. 

The second is about 06.03.2010, we were down at our house at Capestang in southern France. During the evening it started to snow, large flakes and I was quite surprised. It started off wet but with time it became dry. 

The next day some friends of ours from Montpellier visited and reported that the A9 was almost blocked, mostly by the heavies losing traction on the uphill gradients but they had been able to get through with their 4X4. 

The following day, the Monday we decided to go shopping in Narbonne. We got as far as Cuxac to find that their were diversions, so we travelled through the villages.

The scenes were beautiful with the contrast of the fresh white snow against a wonderful azure sky - the French were using JCB's to clear the snow and once the road had been cleared most of the road surface, except for patches of melt water, became dry very quickly. 

I still regret not taking my camera with me. 

At Narbonne in the car park of the Commercial Centre I was fascinated to see the powder snow being blown off the roof of Tri Dome. 

It remained fine for the rest of the week with thaws during the day and frosts at night. 

Towards the end of the week, en route to Narbonne again, I saw the Sapeurs Pompiers dealing with a small fire in a ditch, though snow was still lying over a lot of the surface. It appeared a paradox that with the snow about the vegetation was still dry enough to burn readily in a small bush fire. 

LOL, I was born 05-03-1976 at Hemel hospital. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
41 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

I'm losing the will to live. 

Once again, for those at the back. The main snow risk isn't until 4pm onwards.

4pm onwards.

4pm onwards.

4pm onwards.

4pm onwards.

The coldest air isn't over us yet, once it reaches our shores and winds back ENE (from 4pm onwards) then showers/streamers will kick into action. Hope that clears things up a little.

Yes Daniel, patience required here. We also need this overhang of frontal cloud to b....r off and do one!! If it hangs about for too long, could prevent convection initiating over the southern N,Sea/Thames Estuary.  The cloud acting like a blanket, coming between 850 temps of around -10c/-12c, preventing interaction with the S,North Sea/Estuary temps of 5c/6c. Hopefully that we be enough of a differential, to spark some convection. We're expecting upper air temps of -14c, to cross the region, later on. Generally, the greater the differential between upper air and sea surface, the deeper the convection. 

Sat on my computer, a few years ago, with weather warnings out for parts of Essex, Kent and E.Sussex, for heavy snow showers, to kick off, on a NE flow, nothing initiated, There was an overhang of cloud, in the S.North Sea, associated, with a stationary warm front, which had stalled over NE France and Belgium. A salient lesson, learnt!! Going off to look at latest satellite pics, in those areas, I've just mentioned!!

"Since the North Sea is relatively warm (around 13 °C or 55.4 °F at the beginning of winter, typically 10 to 6 °C or 50 to 43 °F by the end), sufficiently cold air aloft can create significant snowfalls in a relatively short period of time. The best-known example occurred in January 1987, when record-breaking cold air (associated with an upper low) moved across the North Sea towards the UK. The end result was over a foot of snow for coastal areas, leading to communities being cut off for over a week. In recent years, lake-effect snow has been much lighter and less frequent. The most recent lake-effect snowfall event along the east coast of England was on 30 November 2017, coming four years after the previous event".

Regards,

Tom.

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Further, to my post above, you can quite clearly see the shower trains forming, in the clearer air, to the north of our region. We need that air to sink, further south. See satellite link below.

https://en.sat24.com/en

Regards,

Tom.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Passing showers have intensified a wee bit. It could be random or could be the start of something special. Perhaps there's a willy over the North Sea?:drunk-emoji:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Still snowing lightly here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Light snow falling again in NE London. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
7 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

dreaded snow grains have returned:nonono:

Same here Lass, and I'm right under our big sausage warning too from 4PM, lets hope the sausage gets a move on....:aggressive:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sunny days!

My friend just told me its starting to snow again in Chadwell Heath. We also have a bit starting to fall here again too!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
7 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Passing showers have intensified a wee bit. It could be random or could be the start of something special. Perhaps there's a willy over the North Sea?:drunk-emoji:

Its not a willy its Lassies 1cm sausage that he lost the other day.:laugh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
3 minutes ago, snowray said:

Its not a willy its Lassies 1cm sausage that he lost the other day.:laugh:

Anyone seen my sausage:oops:

Never really stopped here all day just such fine flakes and blowing around its not amounted to much BUT everything is going to plan..

Cold air pushing South YEP

Colder air moving in and snow starting to settle YEP

The actual main event was not until much later today and overnight into tomorrow morning ... 

Good luck all and my the snow gods be forever in your favor 

• Like 2

Posted

Some beefy looking showers further north out of our region towards NE England. We need this precip hanging around EA to bugger off so we can get in on the convective action.

• Like 1

Posted

Developments are starting to occur on the radar. Expect to see expansion of precipitation returns from mid afternoon.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Come own, own up? Who's hidden lassie's salami!:yahoo:

Posted
3 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Oh no.......I think your goat has had it!:p