Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Moderate to heavyish snow for the last hour in Hailsham, albeit nothing settling.

Think I may be too far south later for the streamers if it’s an ENE wind, though hopefully we’ll get something, as showers seem to look that they’ll be quite widespread.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
15 minutes ago, Matty J said:

Can't help wondering where these "showers" are going to come from. Looking from Birmingham northwards the North Sea is packed with showers and has been for hours on the radar returns.

But off the coast of EA/SE there is nothing there at all? We have around 2cms on everything other than roads or paths, but those are drying nicely now so IF anything else appears later today it should stick.

Need a lifting mechanism to bring more snow across the SE, cold front clearing south brought the lift for snow this morning, north of our region there are sunny spells generating enough surface heating for showers inland as well as showers feeding off the North Sea thanks to colder uppers.

We have a lot of cloud cover plus subsidence following clearance following the front which will prevent showers for now, but convergence forecast through and downwind of Thames Estuary + wave in frontal boundary close to south coast later and overnight likely to develop snow again.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

The warning kicks in at 4pm for the region,so not sure where you get 12pm from?

Imo the met office will err on the side of caution anyway with a warning  like that,so perhaps more likely after 1700 to start causing issues.

Ukv is suggesting around 2 to 3 p.m as a starting point which looks pretty reasonable to be based on how it's dealing with the front so far.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Very dull and grey with occasional snizzle, the wind has also picked up making it feel bitter:cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

I suppose I should really make the most of the snow free window of opportunity to do some chores. I've just changed the batteries in both my weather stations. The garden reading is -1.5 which I think is too low, and the display on the cheapo station has just failed after changing the outside sensor batteries, so off to buy some more (and wine, could be a long night!)

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

Hi Eddie, maybe later tonight?

From what's been forecast it's not looking great for us hoping a surprise comes along but at the moment doesn't look like much on offer 

Posted
1 minute ago, Nick F said:

Need a lifting mechanism to bring more snow across the SE, cold front clearing south brought the lift for snow this morning, north of our region there are sunny spells generating enough surface heating as well as showers feeding off the North Sea thanks to colder uppers.

We have a lot of cloud cover plus subsidence following clearance following the front which will prevent showers for now, but convergence forecast through and downwind of Thames Estuary + wave in frontal boundary close to south coast later and overnight likely to develop snow again.

Not just the slightly lower upper temps nick but more relevantly the upper cold pool is crossing n midlands and n England. To think that was our prize only a few days ago! That would have provided better coverage for the region. Now it’s the streamer and wave on the front headed along the channel. 

To add that the metoffice don’t actually make it snow in one particular place ........... their warnings reflect probability from their models. We have seen only couple weeks ago that a small variation in the flow high up will affect the distribution of the shower lines. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Had a bit in the early hours and some more early morning, then woke up and my bit was gone:vava:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

You can tell it's the weekend, plenty of bread and milk on the shelves, It's the Alcohol flying off the shelves this time :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
1 minute ago, lassie23 said:

Had a bit in the early hours and some more early morning, then woke up and my bit was gone:vava:

Yes but what about the snow :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

All very 2013-esque here: 43 mph NE'erly wind, 0C and occasional flakes of blowing snow...Vile!:good:

Posted

If the so called Thames streamer actually followed the Thames, South Bucks would be in with a shot! Any chance the winds could turn more east than northeast? :cc_confused:

Posted

And whilst those big showers look good on the radar and satellite over n England, the sunshine between them is melting cover in most cases. At least we have cloud cover to protect what little we have! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
16 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

The warning kicks in at 4pm for the region,so not sure where you get 12pm from?

Imo the met office will err on the side of caution anyway with a warning  like that,so perhaps more likely after 1700 to start causing issues.

Heavy snow symbols on the Met Office site from last night were showing from 12pm, the warning though is from 4pm.

Posted

Latest TAF for LHR is showing heavy snow showers and blowing snow for this evening, especially later in the evening.

• Like 2

Posted

The winds picking up here which is helping to dry the ground but the snow isn’t melting as no sun. Good combo for later 

• Like 1

Posted

Latest fax issued for 6am tmrw shows a variation in the low to our sw compared with previous output for noon. now a trough shown heading west across the West Country - this looks to be what Hirlam has been showing being thrown up overnight as the wave moves west across n France 

with the uncertainty of a wave system heading east to west, there will be some surprises come the morning - that’s good and bad! 

• Like 3

Posted

Been snowing steadily here, a mixture of heavy and light. Im not too fussed about the snow depths. The thing that amazes me is the fact that it is very cold and some areas are seeing heavy and lying snow and it is mid March!!!. It is truly amazing.

Hope everyone enjoys themselves :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

How I wish that system moving up from france tomoz,was moving this way,why is it so difficult to get a decent system,producing those totals,here in the south east,instead of,yet again,showers,and having to be lucky to be underneath a shower train,fingers crossed,i'll be underneath it later,but like last time,I think I may just miss out on the heavier stuff,shouldn't moan too much,as its still snowing outside,3hrs now,not settling yet,but remarkable considering yesterday was beautifully sunny and 13c,this why I love the weather in britain,so unpredictable,and thankfully so,or there wouldn't be great weather forums like this.hopefully we all get pummeled later

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Some of the heaviest snow Ive ever seen falling for hours down here and none of it is settling...i feel as sick as a parrot...we would have had a foot by now if it has settled....so dissapointed

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow
3 minutes ago, snowy weather said:

Been snowing steadily here, a mixture of heavy and light. Im not too fussed about the snow depths. The thing that amazes me is the fact that it is very cold and some areas are seeing heavy and lying snow and it is mid March!!!. It is truly amazing.

Hope everyone enjoys themselves :)

in the UK we are more likely to have snow in March and April that we are in December.  Contrary to popular conceptions (eg, christmas cards,etc).  thats always been the reality and not just because of global warming.  If anything maybe they should consider changing our winter season instead of being December, January and February to February, March and April instead?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
3 minutes ago, EML Network said:

Some of the heaviest snow Ive ever seen falling for hours down here and none of it is settling...i feel as sick as a parrot...we would have had a foot by now if it has settled....so dissapointed

Oh dear ? same here unfortunately. Out of interest what radio station are you on ?