Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Streamers are the holy grail if you happen to be in a location where they're favourable, you can have large amounts of snow in a very short period of time. 

I wonder how much of this is going to settle given temperatures have been in the mid-teens the last few days.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Streamers are the holy grail if you happen to be in a location where they're favourable, you can have large amounts of snow in a very short period of time. 

I wonder how much of this is going to settle given temperatures have been in the mid-teens the last few days.

That was a concern of mine. I’ve seen heavy snow accumulate before and then thaw for the ground upwards. Hopefully the air temps of around freezing will temper that a little bit.

Posted

I would imagine a Thames streamer would be great for your location Daniel. I lived in Greenwich for 2 years and it was generally rubbish for snow. Although they were rubbish winters generally (2014/5 & 2015/6)

Edited by Stu_London

Posted

The original band of ppn looks like it’s breaking up with a secondary band incoming that is all snow. Maybe the first band will pick up some convection over land as it sinks south west. None of this stuff looks particularly exciting yet, although north midlands and Yorkshire doing nicely tonight

Posted
9 minutes ago, Stu_London said:

I would imagine a Thames streamer would be great for your location Daniel. I lived in Greenwich for 2 years and it was generally rubbish for snow. Although they were rubbish winters generally (2014/5 & 2015/6)

Greenwich near yep although strangely last beast I think I cropped a lot more weird isn’t it, it was atrocious for five years I had nothing but dusting it was depressing. From 13/14 up to the daddy beast.  :D 

This winter and spring is going down as memorable I’ve seen more snow than the last four winters combined x10. It is incredibly rare for London to be looking at significant snowfall mid March and not even the wet variety in general powdery snow is nonexistent most of the time so for what 17-18th March. Soaking it in. 

Also drifting snow likely!.... so very impressive if short.

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted

Hello Southeasteners! Today (Saturday) my daughter is going on a coach day trip to Bletchley Park. We live in South Gloucestershire. Can anyone advise what the weather is likely to be en route as we are slightly panicking! Thank you very much. ?

Posted
2 minutes ago, noggin said:

Hello Southeasteners! Today (Saturday) my daughter is going on a coach day trip to Bletchley Park. We live in South Gloucestershire. Can anyone advise what the weather is likely to be en route as we are slightly panicking! Thank you very much. ?

Reckon it will be fine, but a bit of a nowcast situation. The more disruptive stuff should be a bit south of your daughters route

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

Has the snow moved more north???

Not sure - there was an amber warning for up north too so it wasn’t unexpected. The radar doesn’t look that great for our region for tonight but it could change

Posted
4 minutes ago, Stu_London said:

Reckon it will be fine, but a bit of a nowcast situation. The more disruptive stuff should be a bit south of your daughters route

Thank you Stu, that is reassuring! Our knowledge of Southeastern geography is sadly not very good and as Nweatherers are a fine bunch of folk I thought I'd pay a visit and ask! ??

In the last lot of snow my other daughter was heavily pregnant, in Somerset, and gave birth to a beautiful baby boy at 2am on 2nd March, at the height of the blizzard. Whilst I love snow, it is happening at inconvenient times lately!

Thank you again and love to all in the SE. ??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

I feel things have changed a lot for us down here. The reports say snow tomorrow all day and nine sunday

Posted
8 minutes ago, Stu_London said:

Not sure - there was an amber warning for up north too so it wasn’t unexpected. The radar doesn’t look that great for our region for tonight but it could change

I do not understand why you are downbeat. Our region is not expected to see snow until roughly 06:00 hrs & that's when the fun begins

Edited by yamkin
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
1 hour ago, kold weather said:

Wonderful 18z fax chart update, with a classic Thames streamer in place by this point:

fax24s.gif?1

Suspect HIRLAM may not be far off from the mark again but I think we will have to wait till 15z to have a good idea of which model has a good grip. GFS to be fair is also along a similar route, but not as potent.

Beautiful. That's a streamer straight up the Thames Estuary, funnelling into Greater London and beyond.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

I feel things have changed a lot for us down here. The reports say snow tomorrow all day and nine sunday

What has changed? Nothing :wallbash:

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, yamkin said:

I do not understand why you are downbeat. Our region is not expected to see snow until roughly 06:00 hrs & that's when the fun begins

Not really downbeat. Most of the action was always going to be tomorrow. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Snow y’all say?

well it’s raining here lol

Posted
11 minutes ago, tomp456 said:

Snow y’all say?

well it’s raining here lol

Our region is not expected to see snow until roughly 06:00 hrs & that's when the fun begins

Posted
52 minutes ago, noggin said:

strange time to ask that question.why not just look on the met office website instead .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Not on the radar but there is a very fine drizzle here in South Woodham, the wind feels fresher and the temperature has dropped a little more rapidly in the past hour. Still 4 degrees but feels colder.

Posted
9 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

Where did you here that forecast?

still the same forecast yesterday evening ,upto 10cm and 25cm on high in the Sw on Sun.dont think any of us in this region will see totals anywhere near that over the weekend.

• Like 1