Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!

Screenshot_2018-03-16-23-01-23.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Temp down to 6.7 now as at 11pm so still got a way to go.If the latest HIRLAM nails this "snow event" like the last one then i think more of the SE thread will see more significant snow than Beast 1 which was more a hit and miss affair with the nature of the streamers that set up.Will be fascinating to see how the next 24-36 hrs develop.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Hotspur61 said:

Temp down to 6.7 now as at 11pm so still got a way to go.If the latest HIRLAM nails this "snow event" like the last one then i think more of the SE thread will see more significant snow than Beast 1 which was more a hit and miss affair with the nature of the streamers that set up.Will be fascinating to see how the next 24-36 hrs develop.

I only managed a max snow depth of 5cm with beast 1, so won’t take much to beat it. Ground temps might bring in a degree of marginality as far as accumulating snow is concerned

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder

Temp 5c dp 4c Wotton in the Surrey hills. Temp risen slightly.... Haven't looked but probably beginning to cloud over

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow
1 minute ago, Stu_London said:

I only managed a max snow depth of 5cm with beast 1, so won’t take much to beat it. Ground temps might bring in a degree of marginality as far as accumulating snow is concerned

I was exactly the same here but my mate in West Kingsdown got 15cms and that is only 7 miles from me.The only significant snow(3cms) i got from Beast 1 was the snow that fell from 2pm-5pm on Friday 2nd March and that was all completely washed away by the end of Saturday night!!

Posted
  • Location: Gravesend (by the thames) and work Borough Green deliveries on job around the South east
  • Weather Preferences: Snow November to March. Heat and sun late April to early October
  • Location: Gravesend (by the thames) and work Borough Green deliveries on job around the South east

Catching up with the thread a few pages back and I thought I had gone on to the alcoholics forum lol. Maybe I'm just a wee bit jel as I'm a delivery driver 6 days a week so rarely get a full weekend like most to have a few?. Kinda dreading driving round London/Surrey/Kent all day tomo! Might need to hit the whisky tomorrow evening and watch from my balcony overlooking the Thames the streamer set in?❄☃️ Before spending my day off sledging with the neighbours? goodluck to everyone in the region we deserve a second "mini beast" after the last few winters/Marches

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Hotspur61 said:

I was exactly the same here but my mate in West Kingsdown got 15cms and that is only 7 miles from me.The only significant snow(3cms) i got from Beast 1 was the snow that fell from 2pm-5pm on Friday 2nd March and that was all completely washed away by the end of Saturday night!!

Yes. I’m not far from you in Orpington. We did slightly better on Wednesday than Friday. Up towards Chelsfield did ok,on the golf course there was still snow in the gullies last weekend despite a few days of double digit temps.

Posted
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
1 hour ago, Nikkib74 said:

Legend! ?

Eccentric legend ;)

Posted
49 minutes ago, paget said:

I have just got out of the car and can confirm here in Farnham (Bourne Valley) it is brass monkeys! ? ?

How long was your return journey, in hours?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados
4 minutes ago, High&low said:

2.2c in Oulton  Broad Lowestoft with sleet

Oulton broad,lovely place,took my girl's to lowestoft last year in august,done the boat trip out on the broads,had lunch outside by the harbour,then a couple of hours at the petting zoo,getting in the goat enclosure was epic

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold
1 minute ago, Come rain snow or shine said:

How long was your return journey, in hours?

Did really well back home

2 hours 40 mins 

Posted

Wonderful 18z fax chart update, with a classic Thames streamer in place by this point:

fax24s.gif?1

Suspect HIRLAM may not be far off from the mark again but I think we will have to wait till 15z to have a good idea of which model has a good grip. GFS to be fair is also along a similar route, but not as potent.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Nick F said:

Not bad, can’t believe it’s 10 years since I first met you out in the U.S. chasing storms with Michael Fish!

Also can’t believe we going to experience another cold snap that tops anything upper temperature wise experienced in many winters we experienced from the late 90s through much of the naughties before 2009. Doesn’t feel right in mid-March and there’s no guarantee that we won’t see more cold snaps as we head through Easter. Oh well, we will see the back of winter some time  in the next few months 

I would not be in a rush to see the back of it - we could be waiting years and years before we see another easterly after the cold comes to an end in this current pattern.That's why i'll never understand people telling the snow to go way. Thank God their locks failed, and the beast has got back in the door .Finally, one last thing needs to be said; welcome son of the beast to London, now do your worst!:yahoo:

Edited by Bricriu

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Meh Thames Streamers suck! Poor folkestone didn't get much of a whiff last beast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything and everything

Well it's a shame about this weekend and if it doesn't snow I may well just cry. 

We were meant to be moving this weekend, and now we are not. My fiancé heard about the amber warnings on the radio and wanted me to check up and was all "oh it will be fine", "don't worry" etc etc and then for some reason within the next 10 mins he had changed his mind. As he was meant to be the driver, I couldn't really argue it. So van, storage and the site we are due to move to (living in caravan for a bit) all contacted by me (not him lol) 

Everyone else seems to be just carrying on as normal with their weekend plans and ours came to a halt (until next Sunday).. :(

Believe me it better snow now! I think I need a stiff drink. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Great to hear them updates @kold weather and @steveMurr. We have a gusty easterly wind here with a light rain shower. 

Posted
8 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

^^ The twig is back!! Slightly curvature of the isolines SW is all we need !!!

but its really not great for the majority Steve..... not keen on streamers

Posted

Shoreditch, central London, 8.3c according to my weather station. Going to have to drop some, but expecting/ hoping for some nice surprises!!