Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

I can smell snow. I appreciate it’s all probably psychosomatic but I can. Whatever falls and settles the fact it’s mid March is remarkable. If it can fall again on the 30th and I have snow on my birthday that would be awesome.

I will leave you all to sort that ;) 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Snipper said:

Oky dokes. 

I think you needed to be around the last time to appreciate my humour there.

Posted

Well this is a much watered down version to what they implied yesterday

Kent gritting...

Clear breaks and long dry periods between isolated showers or drizzle at first tonight, but then clouding over with colder air digging in from the northeast. Rain and sleet are expected to arrive from around 1am, turning to snow from early tomorrow morning and continuing until noon. Road surface temperatures (RSTs) should hold above zero through the night, but could fall at least very close to if not just below freezing in any more pesistent periods of snowfall.

Snow Summary Friday- Saturday morning
1-2cm of snow could accumulate on cars, grass and other surfaces tomorrow morning, but will struggle to settle on roads. However, a temperoraryslushy covering on road surfaces cannot be ruled out.

Snow showers will become increasingly frequent and widespread through much of Saturday, mostly light, but turning dry and powdery. Snow continuinginto at least the first half of Saturday night, accompanied by the slight risk of drifting with strong easterly winds. RSTs below zero in most places with a
widespread risk of ice. Daytime temperatures may struggle to rise far above freezing. Snow will then become patchier and clear westwards into Sunday morning.

Snow Summary
1-3cm of snow is expected widely by Sunday morning, with the bulk of this accumulating during the evening and overnight after struggling ot settle onroads during the day. 5-7cm could accumulate locally where any heavier snow occurs or snow showers linger well into the night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Well we maxed out at 13.9 today in Locksbottom.Working outdoors for a living i can honestly say it is the first time this calender year that i have felt some warm sunshine on my back.The birds were singing,the blossom is starting to come out,the daffs were resplendent and even saw a couple of bees buzzing around.I just cannot comprehend that in less than 12 hours it might be snowing!!Even as i type this it is 7.9 degrees and quite a nice evening.I love the snow but wish the calender was 16th Feb and not 16th March and if LRFs are to be believed Old Man Winter is not done with us yet even after this cold snap.Those that love the snow enjoy it and if it does fall, keep sending the pics through as they always show how wonderful the landscape looks when it turns white.

• Like 5

Posted

Probably time to set some realistic expectations (without some surprises cropping up which are currently unmodelled)

Certainly the risk of 2-5cms across the region, more especially around the estuary, with perhaps 10+cms over the downs.

If you want more than that, you need to hope the HIRLAM is correct

Edited by snowking
  • Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, paget said:

History, this is her first year, she loves it 

We went to look there as my daughter was interested. It was lovely and really hoped she’d choose it as it’s only a 3 hour drive from here opposed to Bangor which is closer to 6 where she eventually chose!

She’s back next Friday and can’t wait for her train to get in!

Posted
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
52 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

I just watched the forecast on the metoffice website, two areas highlighted for more organised showers were around the Humber and the Thames as highlighted by the amber warnings. Seems sensible, unfortunately for northern parts of the region the Wash streamer isn't going to happen as we are now seeing a straight easterly rather than the ENE predicted a couple of days ago as the cold pool pushes west a lot quicker. Still there does seem to be plenty of shower activity, it will be a case of scattered showers elsewhere. 

It is also worth noting a couple of things tomorrow;

arpegeuk-41-25-0.png?16-17

Highs of 0-2C tomorrow, the temperatures will barely rise in the north and will likely fall throughout the day in the south as the cold digs in.

arpegeuk-11-24-0.png?16-17

Also possible gusts of 50-60mph over Norfolk so it will feel bitter out there.

Channel 4 forecast has just shown a snowfest for the east and south east, the south coast included, especially later Sat/into sunday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

What time is any estimate for snow starting to fall over here? us first because we are on the east coast? and if so do i set my alarm for early morning, say 4 or 5 to see if i should cancel my appointment?

Posted

For anyone worrying about snow accumulations and distribution, don’t! This will come down to a nowcasting event, much as last time. Take this area, for example. We were predicted very little snow, but thanks to a continuous streamer, ended up with 12cm. Snow is notoriously difficult to nail, so expect changes at short notice!

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, JennyJane1 said:

What time is any estimate for snow starting to fall over here? us first because we are on the east coast? and if so do i set my alarm for early morning, say 4 or 5 to see if i should cancel my appointment?

Midnightish, give or take.

Posted
Just now, Come rain snow or shine said:

Midnightish, give or take.

thanks, wouldn't matter but i am worried about this hospital appointment, any other day, it could happen as it likes.

Posted

Like others on here, I'm finding it difficult to believe what is coming after such a lovely day today!

Still, I love the snow, although I'd have preferred this type of weather in mid January so it would stick around for longer.

Can't complain though, we did pretty well here a couple of weeks ago! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

I’m meant to be playing football tomorrow morning:cold:

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, plumehead said:

Yes as I mentioned earlier the meto forecast mentioned snow in the east but had no real concern for SE. Think the amber "member" shaped warning shot a bit early. Nothing much happening I think. Please though someone prove me wrong with evidence rather than "don't know what you were watching" check the meto YouTube channel forecasts for yourself

• Like 1

Posted

Well what a month! Freezing start, beautiful 14c today in West Wickham and now temp dropped 3 deg. c in the last hour and an artic weekend on the way! :-)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Right... So it looks like a Saturday evening/night snow watch. This is screaming out for an alcohol assisted session to me.

What will be the tipple of choice for us SEers?

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, lawrenk said:

Right... So it looks like a Saturday evening/night snow watch. This is screaming out for an alcohol assisted session to me.

What will be the tipple of choice for us SEers?

I’ve got a nice bottle of Malbec ready for Saturday night ?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

The global forecasting sausage  suggests  more cold later this month from the north/northeast. Heavy rain here and lots of rats

Edited by lassie23

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold
29 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

We went to look there as my daughter was interested. It was lovely and really hoped she’d choose it as it’s only a 3 hour drive from here opposed to Bangor which is closer to 6 where she eventually chose!

She’s back next Friday and can’t wait for her train to get in!

I must say we live the fact that she’s getatable in 3 hours but also we do a lot of driving!!! X

Posted
3 minutes ago, snowy weather said:

How's it looking for Crawley? 

Very good! I think most of the south will see a good cover by Sunday.

Edited by CK1981
  • Like 3

Posted

Temperature watch: 8.1C (heading in the right direction!)

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 1