Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

It's been a lovely day to be spring cleaning, so mild out there, it's hard to believe it will be snowy in a few hours!

I've got to go to London tomorrow morning on the train, reckon I'll be finished by 2pm and back home 3pm, is it likely that the snow will disrupt my morning/early afternoon travel plans? Or is the heavy snow arriving Saturday night into Sunday? I don't know what to do but I've got to decide by 5pm today which is annoying.

Was hoping to finish my polytunnel and get the chillis and toms started too but I don't think that's going to be happening.

Edited by Team Squirrel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

:help:OMG, could be very heavy snow around midnight, it never stops on the 12z hirlam!:shok:

And cumul by Sunday morning, thats just crazy....

hirlam-1-35-0.png

hirlam-1-36-0.png

hirlam-45-43-0.png

Edited by snowray
  • Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Team Squirrel said:

It's been a lovely day to be spring cleaning, so mild out there, it's hard to believe it will be snowy in a few hours!

I've got to go London tomorrow morning on the train, reckon I'll be finished by 2pm and back home 3pm, is it likely that the snow will disrupt my morning/early afternoon travel plans? Or is the heavy snow arriving Saturday night into Sunday? I don't know what to do but I've got to decide by 5pm today which is annoying.

Was hoping to finish my polytunnel and get the chillis and toms started too but I don't think that's going to be happening.

Its never a lovely day to clean

Posted
5 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

you are more central southern though? so when you say  "for our neck of the woods" ??

I refer ALWAYS to the SE area unless I say otherwise, regardless of my current location, I'm a LONG time veteran from Essex (14 years infact!!), though I admit technically I'm probably in CS England, I'm literally off the A3 and all of Surrey/SW London is within touching distance...besides this thrad is far more active and I'm my weather is far closer to you guys than the most of the SW/CS area as well.

Models have been steadily upgrading snow chances across the Thames estuary during the early afternoon hours

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Team Squirrel said:

I've got to go to London tomorrow morning on the train, reckon I'll be finished by 2pm and back home 3pm, is it likely that the snow will disrupt my morning/early afternoon travel plans? Or is the heavy snow arriving Saturday night into Sunday? I don't know what to do but I've got to decide by 5pm today which is annoying.

I'm really hoping that it will be already lying snow early tomorrow morning as i will cancel my appointment, if the snow hasnt happened by then i will go, but then i'll worry it will snow before i can get back, like you, its difficult to know what to do, and i just brought some seed packs as well, but if its going to be cold until april i'll hold off planting them or see if some can be started on the windowsill indoors.

Edited by JennyJane1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
13 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

i thought the same about the temperature although very overcast again here now and a bit chillier than earlier also seems to be quite thick fog setting in.

And i am getting very confused about golden syrup and treacle.

yep quite thick fog rolling in from the east now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder

Met O now saying heavy snow for the Surrey Hills from noon until 10pm tomorrow:yahoo::yahoo:

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I refer ALWAYS to the SE area unless I say otherwise, regardless of my current location, I'm a LONG time veteran from Essex (14 years infact!!), though I admit technically I'm probably in CS England, I'm literally off the A3 and all of Surrey/SW London is within touching distance...besides this thrad is far more active and I'm my weather is far closer to you guys than the most of the SW/CS area as well.

Models have been steadily upgrading snow chances across the Thames estuary during the early afternoon hours

:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

I wonder what effect the warm ground temperature will have on snow cover How quickly does it take for it to cool down? 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
53 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Looks like we are going to miss the more persistent snow Sun now,according to the Met.Going to hit more central S and SW England.Just like last time,if you can believe it AGAIN

Hoping we get something from the convective showers,unlike like last time,or it’s two misses in a row :wallbash: 

Where did you here that forecast?

Posted
48 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

You honestly would not believe that by tomorrow temperatures would be struggling to get above freezing. An absolutely gorgeous afternoon with lots of sunshine and barely a breath of wind. Up to a mild 14C here.

Looking at the models, snow wise it be over as soon as Saturday lunchtime up here and be left with the worst possible scenario of being stuck under residual cloud from the frontal band which stalls over southern England. Too far south for showers and too far north for the persistent snow.

Yeah I know, just had a conversation with my 17 year old, she has a job trial in deal tomorrow 11:30. Told her to leave early if it's snowing in case of traffic, she said it's not gonna snow look how warm it is I'm sweating. I'm not worried about if she can get back, as she has friends over there she can stay with if she can't.

Posted

Got a feeling we might see more from beast ii than beast I here in Coulsdon.  We seem to be slap bang in the middle of the Amber warning area so probably good news they have finished putting my new roof on today☺

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Met office now have heavy snow symbols over much of the region from tomorrow 6am for almost 24 hours non stop, never seen that before!:shok:

Edited by snowray
  • Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

yep quite thick fog rolling in from the east now

The change is happening.

Posted

I was feeling quite good for South East Kent earlier but it seems to be slipping away.....again! ?? just light stuff now? 

Posted
4 minutes ago, snowray said:

Met office now have heavy snow symbols over much of the region from tomorrow 6am for almost 24 hours non stop, never seen that before!:shok:

An amplified convergence is very probable from the French/Belgium border on Sunday afternoon to cover the SE :D  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

What a glorious day it was today. Nearly had to take my jacket off out on delivery, ended up just unzipping it as I didn't want to look totally crazy like my colleagues who are still wearing shorts. Even made time to chat to some of my customers out in the sunshine. Can't believe how much its going to change in less then 12 hours. Tomorrow should make an interesting day at work and travelling home :)

Posted
1 minute ago, snowy weather said:

Where are you based mate?

Erith SE London/Kent borders. 

Looking good for most of us, surely nothing can go wrong now?????

Posted
1 minute ago, yamkin said:

An amplified convergence is very probable from the French/Belgium border on Sunday afternoon to cover the SE :D  

Is this quite recent? Tv or met office not showing this although I know that’s not great reliability for this 

Posted
18 minutes ago, John Hodgson said:

I wonder what effect the warm ground temperature will have on snow cover How quickly does it take for it to cool down? 

To answer your question it depends on what sort of precipitation falls and how heavy it is. Over night tonight we will see temperatures fall away to about 3 or 4c before it most likely starts to rain, the rain will be cold rain so will bring the surface temps down, once it transitions to snow it will need to snow for around 1 hour with moderate intensity before it will begin to accumulate.

Here before christmas when it snowed on the Sunday it was raining hard at 08.30, I went back to bed annoyed it wasn't snow, woke up 2 hours later to everything white.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

i for one am finding it hard to imagine this weekend being as bitterly cold and snowy as they are forecasting.  today feels so mild and really pleasant in the sun.  I cannot see how 24 hours is going to make that much of a dramatic difference.  we shall see I suppose.