Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

17 minutes ago, plumehead said:

A lot of chat on the mod thread about stuff moving north and other regional threads seem to be getting busy. Did we get excited to early or will we still have a chance of snow in the SE. Can't understand the mod threads yet! ?

Just had a quick peep I don't think it's the possibilities of snow falling that has shifted north.

A few of the models today push the actual high pressure further north, which maybe might extend the cold spell, as before that high was predicted to move South lot faster and shunt the coldest of the air out. 

So snow wise nothing has shifted north it's only the length of the cold spell that could possibly change. 

Regards ??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

So then, slowly we are seeing the models converge on a solution regarding this weekend.

So tomorrow we will see a front slowly move north east bring rain and a stiff south easterly wind. This will clear later in the day but it will never be that far from the coast of Norfolk and Suffolk.

Friday - Another area of rain will push through the UK but will begin to struggle to clear the east coast with the fronts beginning to move back westwards overnight, as colder air arrives from the east this rain will turn increasingly to snow.

Saturday - The front will steady clear westwards with snow becoming lighter and patchier, sunny spells will follow with snow showers initially developing near to the coasts of Norfolk and Suffolk, overnight we will see convergence lines along the Wash and Thames with areas in line with those bodies of water seeing significant amounts of snow (10cm possible with some drifting in a strong ENE wind).

Sunday - We will see heavy snow showers during the morning, these will tend to ease off a bit later, conditions will slowly turn less cold next week with sunshine and overnight frosts.

Matt, I know nobody can know for sure, but given my location, should i cancel my appointment at the hospital on saturday morning? i have to leave at 8.30 on the bus and it could be a four hour appointment with the tests being run, so i'm worried in case i get stranded midafternoon coming back, and given the transport chaos here a few weeks ago with the snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
Just now, JennyJane1 said:

Matt, I know nobody can know for sure, but given my location, should i cancel my appointment at the hospital on saturday morning? i have to leave at 8.30 on the bus and it could be a four hour appointment with the tests being run, so i'm worried in case i get stranded midafternoon coming back, and given the transport chaos here a few weeks ago with the snow.

I guess a first port of call will be any rain/snow we see of Friday night and how long the precipitation lasts before dying out. We have a yellow warning for that at the moment but of course a lot of uncertainty regarding the amount of snow we could see. As for the showers, they should start off quite light like the last event so you should be okay if you make it to the hospital that morning.

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

It got on at Canada Water.

I do that often too we’ve not crossed paths yet. :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

• Like 2

Posted
45 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

I'm hoping i don't wake up with the usual 1cm, come Sunday morning:nonono:

What about the snow? Boom boom lol 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love hot sunshine and cold snowy weather
1 minute ago, c00ps said:

What about the snow? Boom boom lol 

Ha! I was brewing a similar reply,

you beat me to it! 

Off to Methwold near Thetford for the weekend, wonder where will get most snow home or there..?!

whatever happens wherever you are enjoy the snow if it comes and if you can. Sorry for Alexisj9 and e17boy have been ??ill  hope you both get better to appreciate this final blast, then roll on spring and summer, heatwaves, thunder storms! Hoping for a heatwave Wimbledon week managed to bag 2 tickets to the ladies final in the ballot!! ??

• Like 4

Posted
13 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I can see some doing better this time than last despite a smaller window we’ll see. :) 

My gut is telling me more to the west/nw of Kent. Basiclaly west of me this time for bigger accumulations  but anyone can get lucky with this really. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, c00ps said:

My gut is telling me more to the west/nw of Kent. Basiclaly west of me this time for bigger accumulations  but anyone can get lucky with this really. 

I agree with your gut also SE London. :spiteful:

ICON upgrades by bringing the deep cold in quicker...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 'Big talk' weather....:-)

I thought there would be more people on here?!  For once, I'm hoping for no snow (never thought I would say that), well at least not enough snow to cause travel disruptions as taking my girls to Disney World Monday morning! It's about time for some warmth and sunshine....roll on next winter :-) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
27 minutes ago, c00ps said:

I'm hoping that the upper winds veer more ENEly for a proper Thames streamer, just a bit worried that we end up with too much of a NEly and London misses out on the best of the snow, Anyway looking good, North/Central Kent and Sussex could be the places hitting the jackpot.:D

snowdepth_102.thumb.jpg.c23d4489b06f4f418c65279c683ea4e2.jpg

Edited by snowray
  • Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, snowray said:

I'm hoping that the upper winds veer more ENEly for a proper Thames streamer, just a bit worried that we end up with too much of a NEly and London misses out on the best of the snow, Anyway looking good, North/Central Kent and Sussex Looking like hitting the jackpot right now.:D

snowdepth_102.thumb.jpg.c23d4489b06f4f418c65279c683ea4e2.jpg

I think it might start out more NE but veer more E bringimg London into play. That’s the beauty and the frustration of this set up. Fingers crossed ? 

• Like 1

Posted

Avery has just done the 21:55 forcast and put barely any snow in the graphics at all. Mentioned wintry showers for Saturday and then put any heavier snow in the english channel for sunday! 

Yet people in the mod thread are talking 20+ cms for some. His graphics had less snow on than the same time yesterday. Don't rate him personally and I'd rather listen to our experts on here, although personally i think 20+ cms is a bit of a tall order.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Matty J said:

Avery has just done the 21:55 forcast and put barely any snow in the graphics at all. Mentioned wintry showers for Saturday and then put any heavier snow in the english channel for sunday! 

Yet people in the mod thread are talking 20+ cms for some. His graphics had less snow on than the same time yesterday. Don't rate him personally and I'd rather listen to our experts on here, although personally i think 20+ cms is a bit of a tall order.

Yes quite there Is a lot of enthusiasm on that thread 

Posted
1 minute ago, Matty J said:

To be fair to that forecast, he did say still on Sunday the south will gave the bulk of the snowfall, so it didn’t sound like he was saying no, but it seems like only showers still from that

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
22 minutes ago, scrat said:

I thought there would be more people on here?!  For once, I'm hoping for no snow (never thought I would say that), well at least not enough snow to cause travel disruptions as taking my girls to Disney World Monday morning! It's about time for some warmth and sunshine....roll on next winter :-) 

I'm going to a football 6-aside tournament w/ my school, so I hope the snow falls during the weekend, and eases Monday Morning, so I can get there without any issues. (It's in Burgess Hill). I'm really looking forward to it! 

• Like 1

Posted

The window is shorter than last time. Cover tended to even itself out over four or five days back then. This will be two days max. Plenty will be disappointed but the lucky ones will be really chuffed with the amounts they get! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Looking like the same areas as last time will do best, north and west Kent and down into Sussex? Still, whoever gets snow this weekend, certainly a memorable month!

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The window is shorter than last time. Cover tended to even itself out over four or five days back then. This will be two days max. Plenty will be disappointed but the lucky ones will be really chuffed with the amounts they get! 

I don’t know whether plenty will be disappointed the synoptic on Sunday looks pretty darn good to deliver quite widely in our region looks very good convectively. 

9586EB47-AA0B-44DE-BD91-D4FCAD63BE4D.thumb.png.ad4335dba0892797fcf23155973a06d1.png

• Like 5

Posted

We did unexpectedly well here during the last event, but I’m not expecting too much snow here in east Berkshire this weekend. 

Edited by CK1981

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy all weather but LOVE snow and thunderstorms

Well I might be being greedy but does anyone know how sheppey/North kent will do this time we got about 5 inches here the last time a lot more than i thought we was going to get so this is a extra bonus. :D