Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
1 hour ago, IPredictASnowStorm said:

she didn't say that u liar

I'm afraid she did...surprised me, did you watch it then?

But as we all know 'concerned' might only be in relation to 2cms...but in the after wake of 2 weeks ago maybe not.

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 2

Posted

All looking good chaps.

Just had a good look through the models.

Favourable conditions for snow for all of us by Saturday morn/afternoon. Uppers and DP's lovely. Air temps -1/+1

I would expect some nice twig looking convergence lines appearing on fax charts in the next 48hrs.

Saturday I think snow chances via showers more so for those favouring a NE'ly tilt to the wind, so Wash areas and SW, coastal Norfolk/Suffolk/Essex and into N.Kent Sheppy/Medway and SW of there. A bit like the start of the last spell...

But Sunday IMO looks like our best shot at a decent spell of snow widely, with a disturbance moving west through northern France in the afternoon/eve and the Thames firing up proper, with some nice energy looking to be building as we go through the day.

Conservatively, I think 2-5cm could be expected widely by the end of Sunday if things stay the same...let's see when we get into the realm of high res come Friday...

Edited by Southender
  • Like 3

Posted

Can one of you more knowledgeable folks predict what type of snow it would be, if some fell? would it be powder like last time, or more traditional wet snow? (asking for someone who wants to build a snowman! ) :D:p 

Posted
Just now, Snowpuff said:

Can one of you more knowledgeable folks predict what type of snow it would be, if some fell? would it be powder like last time, or more traditional wet snow? (asking for someone who wants to build a snowman! ) :D:p 

Not as powdery as the last spell. But looking at dew points it certainly won't be wet snow, but more workable for snowmen for sure!.....should it fall of course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Snowpuff said:

White?:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
7 minutes ago, Southender said:

All looking good chaps.

Just had a good look through the models.

Favourable conditions for snow for all of us by Saturday morn/afternoon. Uppers and DP's lovely. Air temps -1/+1

I would expect some nice twig looking convergence lines appearing on fax charts in the next 48hrs.

Saturday I think snow chances via showers more so for those favouring a NE'ly tilt to the wind, so Wash areas and SW, coastal Norfolk/Suffolk/Essex and into N.Kent Sheppy/Medway and SW of there. A bit like the start of the last spell...

But Sunday IMO looks like our best shot at a decent spell of snow widely, with a disturbance moving west through northern France in the afternoon/eve and the Thames firing up proper, with some nice energy looking to be building as we go through the day.

Conservatively, I think 2-5cm could be expected widely by the end of Sunday if things stay the same...let's see when we get into the realm of high res come Friday...

You might be a tad conservative there :) as always there will be variations...

Posted

I also like the way wetter snow plasters everything, and doesn't blow around! Plus it does seem (at least to me) that you get bigger fatter flakes with more moisture :D 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

You might be a tad conservative there :) as always there will be variations...

Just protecting myself!

But yes, like the last spell, 2cm in one spot and 5 miles down the road 15cm.

If I were a betting man, I would plump for somewhere around the wash and also around the Sheppey/Medway area being the landing zone for 5-10cm+ again, but don't quote me on that.

Edited by Southender

Posted
Just now, FlightlessWings said:

Some lovely wet snow from Boston, USA last week... the cold weather is definitely following me around as I have just got back from there! 

Fingers crossed for a snowy birthday on Sunday! 

B7BB5F0B-38C8-44B1-8F80-0523F0890DC4.jpeg

Stunning scene! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Southender said:

Just protecting myself!

But yes, like the last spell, 2cm in one spot and 5 miles down the road 15cm.

If I were a betting man, I would plump for somewhere around the wash and also around the Sheppey/Medway area being the landing zone for 5-10cm+ again, but don't quote me on that.

Living at the sweet spot I’d say why thank you sir I’ll take that . ?

Posted

Well here we go again - I admit I was overly pessimistic before the last spell but even I got a decent dosing in the end. The amount of instability that followed did surprise me somewhat - the charts certainly underplayed this factor last time but the Meto did seem to pick up the potential. 

As for this spell, the charts are indicating some good potential around the Wash/Thames. I have to admit though I am far more optimistic this time round - knowing what sort of instability the last lot of cold produced, it could be good times for us in the east if the set-up does continue on it's track.... I am going to go for the charts underplaying snow potential at the moment, and similar places getting another decent pasting this time round (Saturday night/Sunday)..

Speaking to my elderly relatives they do recall decent snow in March and even April back in the day... so anything is certainly possible. We have all got too used to mild winters lately hence the surprise factor here! I have to admit in all my years of following the weather I cannot recall such vicious easterly intrusions.... it really is fascinating and very rare. It's a nice change! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

Lets just hope this cold spell isn't as severe as last time, we all the remember the chaos it caused on the tube! :cold: :cold:

stream_img.jpg

stream_img.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 hour ago, snowblizzard said:

The birds have started to build nests in my garden.

I think they're going to have a big shock on Saturday & Sunday if the models are anything to go by!  :cold:

yes they have been pecking at my twig for the past week:vava:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

yes they have been pecking at my twig for the past week:vava:

Stop boasting, lass:

Image result for twiglets

Posted

A lot of chat on the mod thread about stuff moving north and other regional threads seem to be getting busy. Did we get excited to early or will we still have a chance of snow in the SE. Can't understand the mod threads yet! ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers
4 minutes ago, plumehead said:

A lot of chat on the mod thread about stuff moving north and other regional threads seem to be getting busy. Did we get excited to early or will we still have a chance of snow in the SE. Can't understand the mod threads yet! ?

Won't really know until Fri / Sat to be honest

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
18 minutes ago, yamkin said:

Emm looks like it's a go then. Still not well after the last lot. Hoping to avoid going out in it, but will still enjoy watching any falling snow. That freezing rain better stay away this time though.

1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

Emm looks like it's a go then. Still not well after the last lot. Hoping to avoid going out in it, but will still enjoy watching any falling snow. That freezing rain better stay away this time though.

I have had a chest infection as well been ill since Saturday only now bit better. I think it was that cold that got me had such bad shivers. 

Anyway wishing you a full recovery 

regards ???

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

As far as I'm concerned it can all bog off back to its natural habitat i.e. north of the border :nea:

Posted
52 minutes ago, The East has Ceased said:

Lets just hope this cold spell isn't as severe as last time, we all the remember the chaos it caused on the tube! :cold: :cold:

stream_img.jpg

stream_img.jpg

It got on at Canada Water.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

So then, slowly we are seeing the models converge on a solution regarding this weekend.

So tomorrow we will see a front slowly move north east bring rain and a stiff south easterly wind. This will clear later in the day but it will never be that far from the coast of Norfolk and Suffolk.

Friday - Another area of rain will push through the UK but will begin to struggle to clear the east coast with the fronts beginning to move back westwards overnight, as colder air arrives from the east this rain will turn increasingly to snow.

Saturday - The front will steady clear westwards with snow becoming lighter and patchier, sunny spells will follow with snow showers initially developing near to the coasts of Norfolk and Suffolk, overnight we will see convergence lines along the Wash and Thames with areas in line with those bodies of water seeing significant amounts of snow (10cm possible with some drifting in a strong ENE wind).

Sunday - We will see heavy snow showers during the morning, these will tend to ease off a bit later, conditions will slowly turn less cold next week with sunshine and overnight frosts.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1