Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
49 minutes ago, Snipper said:

What insulation do you put on the surface?

Bubble wrap

Posted
59 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Which all raises an interesting question: if frogs can't survive cold weather, how come they still exist? Wouldn't 1963 have wiped them all out?:cc_confused:

Who said they can’t survive cold weather ? Not me 

just to confirm frogs can survive the coldest of winters, they survived the ice age ?? and they live in parts of Russia and Siberia. 

They tend to lay their spawn early March when you wouldn’t expect a big freeze. If the pond freezes over its possible the spawn will also freeze as they lay it close to the edges, potentially a whole generation of tadpoles nationwide lost. 

But that’s nature I guess ?

Edited by shotski
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Likes hot weather. Don't like the cold.

Hi Shotski, I lost a load of spawn 2-3 years ago, when my wildlife pond froze over, but they were on the top, the eggs underneath were ok, so I hope you don't loose too many. The eggs I lost went white but the ones underneath stayed dark, however, when the tadpoles hatched they fed on the dead ones. 

At the moment I've got plenty of frogs but they are all loved up as yet with no little ones being layed.

cheers Colboy

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Do your babies all like you or do some look like the postman?

Don’t worry mate, I’ve got a very healthy collection of Tadpoles ??

Posted

Beast from the east 2.0 starting to appear in some media outlets.... How true? 

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, James Oliver said:

Baby beast. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, James Oliver said:

I was amazed when BBC Weather mentioned the Beast three days ago :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
7 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

I'm going to post up a thread I started on the Sports Zone forum, regarding a tipping competition, for the Cheltenham horse-racing Festival, which starts tomorrow. Now I know, horse-racing isn't everyone's cup of tea but I thought some of you, from my region, would like to enter.  Now like the ill-fated " Snow Depth Cup", the problem I have with these competitions, is striking a balance on how much "advertising" and exposure to give them. Obviously, members need to know, I'm running them but also, I musn't clog up the threads and annoy members, at the same time. If any members, from the region, would like to enter but would like more clarity regarding how to enter and how the scoring system works, please feel free to send me a "Sticky note" or a "PM", I'd only be too pleased to help. If you're not interested on studying form, for picking  a horse, use another system, e,g racecard number corresponding to your, or a loved ones birthday, colour of the jockeys silks, you just like the name, etc, etc.

If you'd prefer, you can send me your selections by Sticky Note or PM or indeed post them up on the Cheltenham Festival tipping thread, in the Sports Zone. If you take a daily newspaper, you will find the Cheltenham racecard, at the back of the paper, in the sports section. You can find all tomorrows races, on the Racing Post link, below.

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/11/cheltenham/2018-03-13

Ok, for the final time, I'll put up the post, I posted on the Cheltenham Tipping thread, earlier.

As the Cheltenham Festival starts tomorrow, going to post this up again. This time hoping to attract, more interest. It really is good fun. And as ITV are televising, the first 5 races on all 4 days of the meeting, you'll be able to see how the majority of your selections perform. I ran this competition, from 2005 to 2015 and we had great fun with it, at the Bookmakers Credit Office, I worked in. There's no entry fee but obviously, no prize money, either. It's just a good "craic". 

I worked in the Bookmaking Industry, for around 28 years. No other meeting gave me the "buzz", that Cheltenham week did. The last 12 years of my career were spent with spent with Sunderland Bookmakers, in their Credit Office, in Croydon. I ran various fantasy, tipping competitions on many different sports.

Racing ( Cheltenham, Liverpool ( Grand National meeting ), Epsom Derby, Royal Ascot, Glorious Goodwood, even Longchamp's, Arc de Triomphe meeting and Breeder's Cup meetings, in the US.

Football: UEFA Champions League, European  Int. Ch'ships and World Cups.

Golf: The 4 major championships plus the unofficial 5th major ( the TPC at Sawgrass )

And some cricket tournaments.

Would like to recreate the Cheltenham Tipping Competition here, for members here. It's simple to enter. Just select one horse, in each of the 7 races, on each day, Tues 13th March to Fri 16th March ( Inc,) A few simple rules below:

1. You will be placed a "virtual" £1 each way, on each selection, at the horses, returned starting price. Your stakes will be returned, in your "virtual"  winnings. E.g A 10/1 winner will give you a profit of £14.50, £11 for the win and £3.50, for the place part. A 20/1 winner, will give you a "virtual" win of £27, £21 for the win and £6, for the place part. A 16/1, placed horse, will give you £5, etc,  etc.

2. Losing stakes will NOT be deducted, from your total. Your "virtual" profit, will accumulate, throughout the week.

3. Place terms will be as follows: 4 or less runners (All up to win), never known such a small field to occur, at the Festival. 5,6,7 runners 1/4 the odds, 1st and 2nd. Races with 8 or more runners, 1/4 the odds 1st,2nd,3rd. Handicaps of 16 to 21 runners, 1/4 odds 1st,2nd,3rd,4th. Handicaps of 22 or more runners, 5th place will also be paid, 

4. Any dead-heat occurring, will NOT, result in your stakes, being split!! ( Can't remember the last dead-heat, at the Cheltenham Festival.)

5. Rule 4 deductions of less than 15p in the £, will NOT be enforced.

6. Should you select a non-runner and not have time to change your horse, you will be placed on the SP returned favourite, in that race. Should there be joint or co-favourites, in that particular race, your selection will be the joint or co-favourite, with the lowest racecard number.

7.You must post up your selections by 1 pm, on a daily basis. You DON'T have to give all your selections, for the whole meeting, by 1 pm on Tues. 13th. 

If you can "settle" ( calculate ), your own selections bets, that would be a big help. But I will be keeping my own record of your selections and will post up the current standings, at the end of each days racing.  Obviously, there will not be any prize money, if you win, you'll have the honour of being Net Weather Cheltenham Tipping Champion!! Surely, that's enough. Obviously, your entry will cost you nothing, either. Just a bit of form studying time!! I'm going to try and get my son and daughter to enter, as well. They both worked with me for, Sunderland's.

Really do hope I manage to generate, a bit of interest!!

Regards,

Tom.

I'll post this up again, for those, that missed it earlier.

I'm running a Cheltenham Festival Tipping Competition, over on the Sports Zone forum. We've got 7 entries so far. If any of you would like to join in, please do so. I hope you find the rules, simple enough to follow!! If you need more clarity, please PM me or send me a Sticky Note, I'd only be too pleased to help. You have until 1 pm tomorrow afternoon, to get your first days selections in. Please post your selections on the Cheltenham Tipping Thread, you can see the 7 entries there, now. Or you could PM me with your selections or pop them on a Sticky Note. Then you'll need to repeat the process for Weds, Thurs and Fri too. The entrant who has the largest accumulated "virtual" winnings, shall be deemed, the winner.

Regards,

Tom.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Nice of the Beast to pop back and see me, missed it last time, cant wait, might even get to use those neglected sledges! 

I also have frogspawn to look after, frogs were at it all weekend. Buckets in the kitchen perhaps?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

83A74BD5-EEB5-4F1A-B637-D597BFF674FB.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Storm That Lasts 3 Days

omg I didn't think I would come back here until next winter but appearently beast from east 2.0 is on its way :))))))))))

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Someone in the mod thread said the bbc said no easterly, i missed the weather as i was cleaning.......stuff,:whistling: is this true?

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters
2 hours ago, shotski said:

Who said they can’t survive cold weather ? Not me 

just to confirm frogs can survive the coldest of winters, they survived the ice age ?? and they live in parts of Russia and Siberia. 

They tend to lay their spawn early March when you wouldn’t expect a big freeze. If the pond freezes over its possible the spawn will also freeze as they lay it close to the edges, potentially a whole generation of tadpoles nationwide lost. 

But that’s nature I guess ?

Some will survive, and those will be the strongest ones. Survival of the fittest!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!

Maybe I'm bonkers but spent a good while gently scooping out two buckets of frogspawn just before the beast....they were quite happy in the kitchen even if the husband wasn't too keen! Oh well, will start scooping again at the weekend I guess! Trouble is, the fish will probably eat half of them when they hatch!!

• Like 1

Posted

Due to the very strong SSW influence, there will be further cold outbreaks at times during March & April across Western/Central Europe including UK/Ireland.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, shotski said:

Baby beast. 

How are -14C uppers deemed infantile? While the longevity isn’t there with deep cold still remarkably cold. I think you not so long ago called it over with. Soon to be beast is a grown young man the last was a mature old man. :p 

Only concern atm is UKMO but hopeful it will hop on board with others models with direct hit. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
1 hour ago, Steve Murr said:

Like it Tom !

18z Snow depths - could probably double it!

A843FAD6-CB7E-4416-8707-066BEEC89BB9.thumb.png.ac7396c747bc13ba23777079cbd1f25f.png

Supposed to be visiting parents down in south Kent this weekend, should be interesting!

• Like 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Someone in the mod thread said the bbc said no easterly, i missed the weather as i was cleaning.......stuff,:whistling: is this true?

Latest BBC Weather forecast 30 mins ago shows an Easterly. Here's a screenshot...............

image.thumb.png.a8a6b02c1a981ca89067b49cfb8bccb1.png

Edited by yamkin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, yamkin said:

Latest BBC Weather forecast 30 mins ago shows an Easterly. Here's a screenshot...............

image.thumb.png.a8a6b02c1a981ca89067b49cfb8bccb1.png

Don’t really take too much notice of the BBC forecasts since they lost Met Office, what were they showing for Sunday, 8C? :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
44 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Not true

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1