Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham

The model output discussion indicates a Beast From The East MkII might be on the cards, in about 10 days. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
2 hours ago, lassie23 said:

three for the price of one:good:

my post makes no sense at all:cc_confused: it's raining and cold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Up early again, and awoke to the sound of heavy-ish rain,between 2.30 and 3. So heavy in fact, I was half expecting a flash of lightning and rumble of thunder.  I still have Brontophobic tendencies, so glad I didn't experience, either. A quick glance at the radar did reveal a couple of sferics, in the western Channel and one over the Midlands, a few hours ago. But do not fear, thunder junkies, I'm sure your time will come soon enough. Think of me, my snow watch, is almost up!! That's why I'm still chasing one last flow, cold enough to deliver a little of the white stuff!! Perhaps Lassies right and we'll have a White Easter, I live in hope.

Took the opportunity, to creep downstairs, as quiet as a "church mouse", make myself a cuppa and watch the recorded highlights, of the Champions League matches. Must say, I thought Spurs were extremely unlucky to go out. They certainly wee the better team, over the 2 legs. No doubt, Barzagli should have had a red card, in the first half but Juve should also have had a penalty!! Spurs are certainly maturing into, a very useful outfit, though. But with the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool, Man. City and Man.Utd, still left in the competition, an English side still must have a fair shout, at winning the trophy, as much as it pains me to say, being an ardent fan of Italian football. I'm half-Italian and although I was a Spurs fan, when I was younger, switched my allegiance ( like a typical Italian ). My two sisters and I feel more Italian, than English ( "Go back to Italy", I hear you cry!! ) We were all born in Bromley, though. Our allegiance to Italy, developed through our closeness, to our soft, fully Italian mother and our remoteness to our very stern, half English/ half German, father. Yes, we're a right HEINZ 57, our lot!!:D being half-Italian,I'm ashamed to admit, although, I'm not very fluent in Italian, although I think I cook a half decent meatball. I can remember, some years ago, having a heated discussion with the lady from Milton Keynes, sorry her name escapes me!! I was querying the English habit of insisting, eating your meatballs, with pasta. No, no, no, no!! You should have a small pasta starter, then the meatballs, as a main course, with piselli and cipolle ( peas and onions, in Winter ) and a nice mixed salad, in Summer. It really gets my goat ( sorry Lassie! ), the b.....disation of Italian meals, by English chefs. For a start, Spag Bol, does not exist, in Italy and the disgusting sight of a Carbonara, swimming in endless cream, often seen in Supermarket ready meals. Again, no, no, no!! Once you've cooked your Carbonara, with Pancetta,etc, mix it together with your pasta and crack an egg over it, on a low heat, the egg will cook nicely and not burn, much nicer than swimming in cream!!

Right, Italian  rant over!! I hope nobody finds this post offensive, I apologise if they do. It was meant to be very, tongue-in-cheek!!

Hope you all enjoy your day.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
9 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Great stuff. With the rapidly lengthening days and stronger sun, they should all take off soon :) Are they fruit or veg cuttings and seedlings?

Veg and flowers. Some already potted on. 

• Like 1

Posted
51 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

Just been reading elsewhere that quite a lot of snow fell unexpectedly overnight in parts of Leeds and liverpool.

i want some:angry:

• Like 1

Posted

My wife and I are eagerly awaiting the arrival of a builder, to discuss plans to install a Wet Room, where our bathroom is, at the moment. Colette has been as determined, as a "dog with a bone", in getting this "project", achieved. Finally after much prevaricating and faffing about, Social Services and our Housing Association, have agreed to get this done. At the moment, Colette has to shower me, whilst I'm sitting precariously, on a bath board,  They are also going to switch the sink and toilet around, thereby utilising what little space ( you really can't swing the "proverbial cat", in there, at the moment ) there is, more efficiently.  It will be so nice, to be able to shower and shave, in relative comfort, after my Haemorrhagic Stroke.  It will also benefit my wife, who has an Arthritic condition. 

When we go over to look after my son, Antony ( who is suffering from Huntington's Disease ), in Chislehurst, it's so nice to be able to shower, in his Wet Room. Just hope, the builders get the angle of the floor right, first time!!. The incompetence of Taylor and Wimpey's builders, caused a flood by constructing the floor, sloping towards the door, instead of towards the drain hole, when my son and daughter first moved into their new build, at Chislehurst. I remember discussing all the "Snagging Problems", on this forum, a few years ago!!

Regards,

Tom.

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 1

Posted

Borough Surveyor and builder, have just left. Work on Wet Room may start, as early as Monday and will take about 2 weeks to complete. Fortunately borough, have agreed to pay for it, as I'm only on Disability Benefit.

Regards,

Tom.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm spring days and summer thunderstorms

Blue sky. Sunshine  11.7C. In the shade. Lovely in the sun. Lucky my back garden has a lot of shelter from the breeze. Feels like Spring. Loving it. Good Health to you all. :hi:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Lovely start to the day here but quite a bit of cloud has bubbled up and a howling wind has developed, quite unpleasant. Nice out of the wind, in the sun though and an average temperature of 8C currently. 

Posted

They say we live on a small island....yet further north looks like a different world... my parents got 6 inches of snow in northern Wales :'(

Posted
1 hour ago, Bryn Webster said:

They say we live on a small island....yet further north looks like a different world... my parents got 6 inches of snow in northern Wales :'(

last night?

Posted

Would like to put up a similar post, to one I posted last week. But as the thread was split, north and south of our region, not sure if those members in the north of our region, saw it. I was speaking to weather presenter and co-author of the County Weather Book series, Ian Currie. Now I'm sure some of you already have a copy of one of these books. He has co-written these books, mainly for counties, in the South-East region. Imo, they are a must read, for weather enthusiasts, like ourselves. They document major weather events, going back quite a few centuries. I have the Kent, Surrey and Sussex editions.They really are a fascinating read and very well written. Ian told me they are no longer in print but you can still get some copies, on Amazon. Ian told me that he's moving soon and has still some copies in boxes, in his garage. Once he moves, in the next couple of months, he'll be able to "dig them out". If anyone would like a copy, I'll find out how much they are. If memory serves, they're not very expensive. I'll post up the counties, he has written about, in the north of our region: 

BERKSHIRE

The Berkshire Weather Book (County Weather)

ESSEX

The Essex Weather Book

NORFOLK AND SUFFOLK

The Norfolk and Suffolk Weather Book (Country Weather)

Ian has also written a fascinating book entitled, Frosts, Freezes and Fairs. Again it's a must read for lovers of severe wintry weather and documents ,all the severe, wintry spells, from our most severe Winters, going back to 1000 AD.

Frost, Freezes and Fairs: Chronicles of the Frozen Thames and Harsh Winters in Britain from 1000AD

Ian also presents talks on the weather, up and down our region. I'll keep an ear out  for any talks he's presenting, in our region.

Some talks are society events and open to members, only. But some talks, are open to the general public, too. I'll ask him to give me a list of upcoming talks, open to the general public. Again, for weather enthusiasts, they really are worth going along to see.

I've seen his talk, based on the Frosts, Freezes and Freezes book, twice and it really is informative and very entertaining. Ian is a very witty, guy. And no, I'm not on commission, I class Ian, as a good friend.

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

• Like 2

Posted

i have studied the models in great detail this afternoon and I shall issue a forecast later *puts specs on to look intelligent and strokes long false  gandolfian beard as if in deep thought*

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Looking mild, damp, wet, windy to me for the foreseeable, no sign of any cold, or springtime warmths, until after mid month at the earliest. The frog spawn are going to love it..:(

download-4.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
12 minutes ago, snowray said:

Looking mild, damp, wet, windy to me for the foreseeable, no sign of any cold, or springtime warmths, until after mid month at the earliest. The frog spawn are going to love it..:(

download-4.jpg

I don't much like that sort of weather, SR...we'll soon run out of animals, for pathetic jokes!:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
4 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I don't much like that sort of weather, SR...we'll soon run out of animals, for pathetic jokes!:D

Well we still have some potential there after mid month at D10 for our white easter. i noticed yesterday how the Berlin ens were picking up some pretty cold signals so you never know. I would be just as happy with an easter heatwave though.:D

gfs-0-240.png

• Like 1

Posted

Time for my forecast. After taking sea temps, strat profile, pacific ridging, ecm, gfs and that other one's output into consideration, my conclusion is as follows, March will be s hite

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
39 minutes ago, snowray said:

download-4.jpg

They certainly are. 

In my garden at least. 

316B1585-9F32-419D-9B80-120B3B6665E9.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Time for my forecast. After taking sea temps, strat profile, pacific ridging, ecm, gfs and that other one's output into consideration, my conclusion is as follows, March will be s hite

Well thats a bit disappointing to say the least, everyone has been waiting for the in depth, teleconnections, SSW, the MJO, the ENSO and the COD Lassie forecast for the Dump hole, Great Britain and the World....And that's it?:doh:

And not even a mention of the ECM?:unknw::search: