Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Possibly up to 10c today. 

Hopefully the rain pushing north stays to the west of us. Could end up feeling pretty decent if so. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
6 hours ago, snowray said:

Freezing rain is terribly dangerous stuff though Alex, and if you have a layer of snow on top, bad news.

Yep it is but didn't stop anyone doing anything, really quote strange, didn't even see people slipping around. It was just normal which I found strange.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

All that talk of hooves earlier, sent my mind racing ( no pun intended ) back to the 16th March, 1989 I was working for a Bookmakers', in Croydon. We had pitches, at all the major racecourses, up and down the country. I was asked, along with a few other colleagues, to go and stay down at Cheltenham, for their March Festival meeting.

We were to stay at a hotel, at a village called Chadlington, in the Cotswolds, some 30 miles, from the racecourse. Meanwhile, my boss, was to stay, at a much plusher, more expensive hotel, at Broadway, a little way north, of the quaintly named village of Snowshill.  "Organ Grinder" and "Monkeys", come to mind, again".

My colleagues and I, made our way down to breakfast, on that morning of the 16th March. It had been raining heavily for a couple of hours but within minutes, had turned to driving snow. By the time we were ready to leave, for the racecourse, a few hours later, the ground was as white as, ante-post favourite for the Gold Cup, Desert Orhid. But, "IF, the meeting went ahead, ground condtions had surely gone against, "Dessie". The bold, front running grey, was thought to be a far better horse, over 2 miles, than the stamina sapping, Cheltenham Gold Cup distance of 3 and a quarter miles!!

Neither myself, or my colleagues, believed that the race meeting, would go ahead. But early morning reports from the course, were that, a layer of snow, had melted, to be replaced by rain and sleet. An early morning inspection, revealed that the course, was raceable but the going had changed to "Heavy", consequently, "Dessies", price, began to drift!!

When we arrived, at the course, my role was to look after our clients, in a few of the "Hospitality Boxes", taking their bets. I had to make my way from the boxes, to our pitch, from time to time, in driving sleet. It was probably, the coldest I've ever felt, on a racecourse!!

Desert Orchid put up an amazing performance, battling on gamely, in bottomless ground to beat Yahoo, by a length and a half. The rapturous ovation, he received, was incredible, I thought the roof, would come off the stand!!

A little later, Trainer, David Elsworth and Owner, Richard Burridge, brought the "Gold Cup", into the box, where I was working.

It certainly was an amazing day and one of those, " I was there, moments".

Just a quick look, at the synoptic chart, for midday, on that day.

archives-1989-3-16-12-0.png

Plus, I make no excuses, for posting up a YouTube clip, of the finish to, " Dessies", Gold Cup.

I really miss the craic and "buzz", of the big meetings, like Cheltenham ( my fav.), Royal Ascot, Grand National, Derby, Goodwood, etc. I finally lost my job, after suffering a stroke, in Sept.2015. Last Summer, the company was bought out by Fitzdares, who are based, in Notting Hill. That ended a long association. of my families link to the company, I worked for. Both my son, Antony and daughter, Hayley, worked for us, too. Hayleys' boyfriend, who was Racing Manager, at the company I worked for, now works for Fitzdares. I shall be tapping him up for tips, if I hear anything interesting, I'll let you know.

Crikey, even I tipped up a winner, on this forum, in March 2013. Chamagne Fever, won the Supreme Novices Hurdle at 5/1. I remember a few of you backing it then, risky business backing one of my tips!!:D

What also has struck me in the last few days, was that some of the models want to drag down a cold northerly, in just over a weeks time. Lightning ( or snow ), couldn't strike twice, could it?

Regards,

Tom.:hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Morning all

Tom, I remember one of the Cheltenham meetings being call off because of high winds, I think it was 2008. Its certainly one of them race meetings where you can experience all seasons during the week, From shirt sleeves to Jackets.

For me Cheltenham week always highlights the start of Spring 

Edited by Kent Blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

Morning all & Tom

I remember one of the Cheltenham meetings being call off because of high winds, I think it was 2008. Its certainly one of them race meetings where you can experience all seasons during the week, From shirt sleeves to Jackets.

Hi KB,

If you look at that clip of "Dessie", you can still make out "Cleeve Hill" (over 1,000 foot up and the highest point of the Cotswolds), covered in a mantle of white. Those of you that havnt been to the Cheltenham races, it's a very picturesque course but can be very cold and wet, at times!! I worked there, a few times, not just at the March,  "Festival" meeting.

Regards,

Tom.

Edited by TomSE12

Posted
11 hours ago, Snowflake Queen said:

How’s your eye today ? 

I just woke up, not as bad as it was but not right so calling the hospital to see if i can get an emergency appointment today, looks ike all the snow has melted so getting out shouldnt be a problem now.

• Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, Sweetdream said:

I know in 2010 the whole country was covered in snow apart from upland in east anglia. We were the only ones who didn’t even get a flake. Lol 

the triangle didnt get a flake either

Posted
9 hours ago, snowray said:

I can remember more snow events Easter that around Christmas, it can still snow in the SE for well over a month from now though, I remember heavy snow in Kent and Essex in late April, don't hang around long though of course. But am just as happy if Easter is BBQ weather...I know what, you can do us a BBQ for easter, I hear you have some goat over your way, mmm, sounds lovely, BBQ curried goat at Lassie's place.:laugh:

Be careful.He says its goat, but we still don't know the whereabouts of the threelegged cat.

Posted
1 hour ago, TomSE12 said:

All that talk of hooves earlier, sent my mind racing ( no pun intended ) back to the 16th March, 1989 I was working for a Bookmakers', in Croydon. We had pitches, at all the major racecourses, up and down the country. I was asked, along with a few other colleagues, to go and stay down at Cheltenham, for their March Festival meeting.

We were to stay at a hotel, at a village called Chadlington, in the Cotswolds, some 30 miles, from the racecourse. Meanwhile, my boss, was to stay, at a much plusher, more expensive hotel, at Broadway, a little way north, of the quaintly named village of Snowshill.  "Organ Grinder" and "Monkeys", come to mind, again".

My colleagues and I, made our way down to breakfast, on that morning of the 16th March. It had been raining heavily for a couple of hours but within minutes, had turned to driving snow. By the time we were ready to leave, for the racecourse, a few hours later, the ground was as white as, ante-post favourite for the Gold Cup, Desert Orhid. But, "IF, the meeting went ahead, ground condtions had surely gone against, "Dessie". The bold, front running grey, was thought to be a far better horse, over 2 miles, than the stamina sapping, Cheltenham Gold Cup distance of 3 and a quarter miles!!

Neither myself, or my colleagues, believed that the race meeting, would go ahead. But early morning reports from the course, were that, a layer of snow, had melted, to be replaced by rain and sleet. An early morning inspection, revealed that the course, was raceable but the going had changed to "Heavy", consequently, "Dessies", price, began to drift!!

When we arrived, at the course, my role was to look after our clients, in a few of the "Hospitality Boxes", taking their bets. I had to make my way from the boxes, to our pitch, from time to time, in driving sleet. It was probably, the coldest I've ever felt, on a racecourse!!

Desert Orchid put up an amazing performance, battling on gamely, in bottomless ground to beat Yahoo, by a length and a half. The rapturous ovation, he received, was incredible, I thought the roof, would come off the stand!!

A little later, Trainer, David Elsworth and Owner, Richard Burridge, brought the "Gold Cup", into the box, where I was working.

It certainly was an amazing day and one of those, " I was there, moments".

Just a quick look, at the synoptic chart, for midday, on that day.

archives-1989-3-16-12-0.png

Plus, I make no excuses, for posting up a YouTube clip, of the finish to, " Dessies", Gold Cup.

I really miss the craic and "buzz", of the big meetings, like Cheltenham ( my fav.), Royal Ascot, Grand National, Derby, Goodwood, etc. I finally lost my job, after suffering a stroke, in Sept.2015. Last Summer, the company was bought out by Fitzdares, who are based, in Notting Hill. That ended a long association. of my families link to the company, I worked for. Both my son, Antony and daughter, Hayley, worked for us, too. Hayleys' boyfriend, who was Racing Manager, at the company I worked for, now works for Fitzdares. I shall be tapping him up for tips, if I hear anything interesting, I'll let you know.

Crikey, even I tipped up a winner, on this forum, in March 2013. Chamagne Fever, won the Supreme Novices Hurdle at 5/1. I remember a few of you backing it then, risky business backing one of my tips!!:D

What also has struck me in the last few days, was that some of the models want to drag down a cold northerly, in just over a weeks time. Lightning ( or snow ), couldn't strike twice, could it?

Regards,

Tom.:hi:

I will never ever forget that 1989 Cheltenham Gold Cup!

Desert Orchid landed me a once in a lifetime accumulator that week after which I was able to put down a £25k deposit on my first house!:yahoo: 

Edited by snowblizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
46 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

Morning all

Tom, I remember one of the Cheltenham meetings being call off because of high winds, I think it was 2008. Its certainly one of them race meetings where you can experience all seasons during the week, From shirt sleeves to Jackets.

For me Cheltenham week always highlights the start of Spring 

Hi KB,

Going back to March 1989, in those days, the Gold Cup, was run on the Thursday, the final day, of the meeting, unlike more recent times, of the extended meeting, now run on Friday.

I can remember, the first race that day, was the Triumph Hurdle, the ground was so bad, they had to dole off, the last hurdle, due to patches of waterlogging, which made for a very long run-in!! Not surprisingly, 66/1 shock, Ikdam won, in the bottomless ground, a tremendous start for the Bookmakers. But "Dessie", helped recoup punters losses.

I'm still amazed to this day, that the meeting went ahead.

Regards,

Tom.

• Like 1

Posted

Quite a bit of flooding around here, driving home this morning I looked across some fields and thought, oh I didn’t realise there was a lake in Blyford, then realised there isn’t, the fields completely submerged in water :rofl: might take some time to return to normal. 

And if anyone in Lowestoft is going to Morrison’s for milk, don’t bother, they don’t have a single pint.. madness :nonono:

Edited by Blazerblue
Milk update

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

Well after the fun and games of last week, for me it's nice to see a return to some level of normality and not watching the bloody radar. Our cat is especially delighted, as he can now discard the litter tray and get back to burying his business in next door's flower bed.

I'd give that spell a solid 7/10 for our area - mainly huffing and puffing to be honest, but one decent fall and many showers.

Still some talk of potential snow events through March, although I'm positively aching for that first moment of Spring sunshine which feels genuinely 'warm'. It's felt like a long old winter, this one!

Posted

morning all,

I see we are all back together again, I have been away for the weekend, and the contrast between the -3 degrees and heavy snow at Gatwick as I left on Friday evening, compared to the 17 degrees and blazing sunshine in SW France was amazing.

Still back to reality and dull Monday morning, and a water shortage!

lets have some 'normal' weather for a bit, looking forward to spring.

Cheers

FC

Posted
16 minutes ago, Blazerblue said:

Quite a bit of flooding around here, driving home this morning I looked across some fields and thought, oh I didn’t realise there was a lake in Blyford, then realised there isn’t, the fields completely submerged in water :rofl: might take some time to return to normal. 

And if anyone in Lowestoft is going to Morrison’s for milk, don’t bother, they don’t have a single pint.. madness :nonono:

wow, madness as you say

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
9 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

A bit like lamb but can be tough if not cooked correctly.

Used to get goat curry from the West Indian carryout. Yum!:D

If you want a nice tender one - it has to be the kid that gets it, Lass!:good:

Edited by Ed Stone
Apostrophe crime committed!
  • Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, Blazerblue said:

Went to Tesco yesterday - it was heaving, full of people who didn't seem to know what they were supposed to panic buy. The snow's all gone now anyway!:wallbash:

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted

Wow quick change was high cloud with sun trying to come out, now low cloud with mist floating about.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Been for a run this morning after a couple of weeks off, feels very mild outside at 8C. Lots of low cloud about though, dreary and moist ??

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
3 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

Yep it is but didn't stop anyone doing anything, really quote strange, didn't even see people slipping around. It was just normal which I found strange.

I'm not keen on normality of any kind.  It's soooooo ...boring - except when the sun is shining on unthawed snow, or wher shining in the spring, summer or early autumn.  

• Like 2

Posted
42 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Been for a run this morning after a couple of weeks off, feels very mild outside at 8C. Lots of low cloud about though, dreary and moist ??

Back up to 3.8 here, does feel mild though lol.

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Back up to 3.8 here, does feel mild though lol.

A lovely, sunny 9C up here...The sun can make all the difference at this time of year...:D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

yay all the snow has gone. back to normal muck yay.

hands covered in plaster of paris making a school project.

no so yay.

Posted
18 minutes ago, Dami said:

yay all the snow has gone. back to normal muck yay.

hands covered in plaster of paris making a school project.

no so yay.

be careful because that stuff can leave burns