Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
28 minutes ago, Sweetdream said:

I know in 2010 the whole country was covered in snow apart from upland in east anglia. We were the only ones who didn’t even get a flake. Lol 

2010 i believe was the year a small low formed over NE France or Holland in the evening, moved north-ish while expanding in size, then a tad west, and sat over southern england all night ... giving us in west sussex 1ft of snow.  i presume east anglia was too far away to be much affected by it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
10 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

Is goat tasty ? 

Old goat is lovely and juicy, just a bit tough thats all.:laugh:

• Like 1

Posted
37 minutes ago, snowray said:

Yes its a strange old thing the weather, i usually do just slightly better than London here. So if London gets 5-6 cm, I might have 8-10cm around this way.

As for heavy and deep settled around here the top 3 years that I can remember anyway are as follows:

1st 1987

2nd 1991

3rd 2009

Think it was 2001 or 2002 we had our biggest snow fall in one day we had around 3 foot of snow.  The worst I have ever seen it. 

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Come rain snow or shine said:

2010 i believe was the year a small low formed over NE France or Holland in the evening, moved north-ish while expanding in size, then a tad west, and sat over southern england all night ... giving us in west sussex 1ft of snow.  i presume east anglia was too far away to be much affected by it.

Yeah it was forecast to hit us and we had an amber warning in place but 6 hrs before the event it changed and came down the central belt instead. I couldn’t believe it when the weather showed the whole of England and Scotland covered in snow except a small area in east anglia. Lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
5 minutes ago, Sweetdream said:

Think it was 2001 or 2002 we had our biggest snow fall in one day we had around 3 foot of snow.  The worst I have ever seen it. 

I would love that much around here, but never seen anything over a foot of snow, around here anyway. Seen 2/3 foot snow in Italy though.

Posted
43 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

i'll save you a leg

Well I hope that its an old leg, I can just chew away all day long on that..:cc_confused:

Edited by snowray

Posted
1 minute ago, snowray said:

I would love that much around here, but never seen anything over a foot of snow, around here anyway. Seen 2/3 foot snow in Italy though.

I lived up in March at the time. Was there for 6 years and I had snow every year. But nothing to that extens before or after.  It’s funny how 15… 20 miles away can get plenty of snow and the area you live won’t even see a flake blow in the wind. Lol 

Posted
2 hours ago, Snowflake Queen said:

Good for hair I hear ... so if your a hairy person here’s to bathing in beer ? 

carlsberg... because i'm worth it....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
50 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

Is goat tasty ? 

A bit like lamb but can be tough if not cooked correctly.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Sweetdream said:

I lived up in March at the time. Was there for 6 years and I had snow every year. But nothing to that extens before or after.  It’s funny how 15… 20 miles away can get plenty of snow and the area you live won’t even see a flake blow in the wind. Lol 

I know March, nice around there, and Ely is lovely. Yes its the same here, parts of Kent can get very heavy snow but it seldom gets this far east, usually the heavier snowfall is the other side of Gravesend, thats what happened this time too on the NEly that kicked everything off. Strangely though when the wind veered more Ely on Thursday afternoon I think it was, the streamers of heavy snow were just to the north and south of here and I ended up with flurries in the middle, thats when central London got a fair bit, I should have done well on an easterly but there you go. And as for Fridays lot well yet again after some heavier bursts to start with everything just ended up further north and west of here.

I had a little thought about what rating I should give the cold spell for this part of the world and for cold its got to be 10/10, but as far as snowfall is concerned 7/10.:)

Posted
2 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

A bit like lamb but can be tough if not cooked correctly.

I loves curried goat with rice washed down with a can of cold Carlsberg. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

i'd be happy with a foot:cc_confused:

You mean a hoof don't you Lass?:blink2:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 minute ago, snowray said:

You mean a hoof don't you Lass?:blink2:

new way of measuring snow:rofl: amber warning from met office for 4 hooves of snow

Posted

This area was weird on Friday, freezing rain everyone carrying on as normal including drivers and buses, then the transition to snow happened, suddely no one could cope, drivers got stuck and buses stopped. It was more slippey before the snow fell. Think it may have more to do with nerves when faced with the white stuff.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, lassie23 said:

new way of measuring snow:rofl: amber warning from met office for 4 hooves of snow

A length of snow could be interesting.

Posted

Just seen this - possible snow event on 16th March... in the SE.

snow on 16th march 2018 forecast.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, lassie23 said:

Yes well don't get your hooves mixed up now, this hoof refers to the horny part of the foot of an ungulate animal, ie, "I heard the clatter of hooves as the goat approached the BBQ", as opposed to, "he hoofed the ball 20 yards", don't wanna be getting them two mixed up, I mean a kick of a ball could be painful. :rofl:

Posted
22 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

This area was weird on Friday, freezing rain everyone carrying on as normal including drivers and buses, then the transition to snow happened, suddely no one could cope, drivers got stuck and buses stopped. It was more slippey before the snow fell. Think it may have more to do with nerves when faced with the white stuff.

Freezing rain is terribly dangerous stuff though Alex, and if you have a layer of snow on top, bad news.

Posted
24 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

A length of snow could be interesting.

Maybe when we get brexit over and done with we can get some of our good old British measurements back, like inches, feet and add hooves too.:D

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, snowray said:

Maybe when we get brexit over and done with we can get some of our good old British measurements back, like inches, feet and add hooves too.:D

Good idea. I'm hoofing it for the night now. G'nite one and all.

• Like 2

Posted

I will be hoofing off too in a bit, night night.:)

• Like 1