Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2017-2018 summaries and overviews

Posted

Seems odd to be saying that's another winter over, given many have seen there coldest max of the season so far today.

But yes meteorological winter 17/18 is over.. (I usually think the cut off is 21 March).

Please use this thread to comment on your thoughts of the winter, statistics etc.

I've enjoyed it immensely, very reminiscent of winters 08/09 and 12/13, never exceptionally cold (apart from the very tail end), but often cold, with only a few mild spells. A number of snowy days, but again nothing especially heavy - which was a pity, we could have done much better on the snowfall stake but things didn't fall quite into place for Cumbria.

Enjoyed December - lots of cold frosty dry weather. Enjoyed February lots of cold polar maritime air. Indeed great to see polar maritime air inching out the tropical maritime.

Never especially wet - no floods, no real storms.

Have a sneaky feeling this will mark the start of a return to cold winters again - like 08/09.

• Like 4

Posted

Great winter for my neck of the woods. Had several sizeable snow events and must have seen 20 or so days with falling snow. Solid 8/10 winter for me and I too think this will be the start of a run of colder winters. Exciting times ahead ?❄️☃️?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

I think for me in southeast it's been quite a good winter (especially compared with the borefest of 13/14-16/17), but certainly not a classic. I've certainly seen the snowiest February for quite a while. Overall quite good, but I think 18/19 can (and cross-fingers will) do better... :)

Edited by LetItSnow!

Posted

Oh dear had expected a few more posts in this thread - I suspect it got ignored when posted given it was in the depth of the cold spell and everyone was on regionals. Would be good to see some postings, stats for the winter, thoughts overall.

Officially the coldest since 12/13, for many the snowiest since then as well. Parts of Wales and midlands will probably say the snowiest since winter 10/11.

It won't go down as a memorably cold snowy one though, average in a word, but much better than the last 4 for snow and cold. 

Posted

Quite a decent winter here, consistently cold/ chilly, no extreme mild or wet. December had a very cold spell near the beginning with at least one ice day and thin cover of snow.

January lots of polar maritime air, plenty of falling snow, few inches in the ground mid month. 

February was cold, no mild air to speak of, plenty of falling snow and finished with the beast from the east. I'd rate the winter overall 8/10.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Excellent winter, especially when compared to more recent winters.

We had no single large snowfalls, highest being 7cm in one morning on 27/2 but plenty of little snowfalls.

Total snowfall was 26cm, including snowfall we had on 30th November and 1 & 2 March.

We had 36 air frosts, average is 34 so slightly higher than normal.

Average Temp was 3.3c, which is 0.4c below the 1981-2010 mean for the winter period.

Rainfall came in at 124mm, which is only 70% of the mean rainfall for this period.

Overall a very average winter, the only thing that stands out is how dry its been.

Edited by vizzy2004

Posted

I don't keep stats but my impression is that it has been a good and enjoyable winter of fairly varied weather. I think the Netweather forecast of 'a winter on a knife edge' sums it up pretty well as we have constantly been on the edge of the cold air, the further north you are the longer you have spent on the cold side. Here I would say I have had more nights with frost than not, with a good cold dry spell at the start of December, a coldish spell after Christmas into early January and a generally cold February with a lot of falling snow which until this last week never hung around very long. Lowest day time max was in the -3/-4 range on Wednesday and Thursday last week and the lowest minima have been a couple of -10's, one at the beginning of December and one in early February which in the grand scheme of things for a valley in-land in the north of England are not very impressive.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

still winter here until mid April....winter runs from Mid October some times earlier and can drag into May...anyway meteo winter December was very mild up to just before Christmas then was brutually cold into the new year..brief warm up into mid Jan..since then it has been cold sometimes very cold and relatively snowy..had another 30cm over the weekend..and it is still -25c..the coldest back end of winter since 2011 here.

Posted

Echoing others opinions - gosh mostly Cumbrian contingency, so good to compare I would only rate winter 17/18 on a par with 12/13 both in terms of snow and cold. Like that winter is was rather episodic with a similar cold dry frosty first half to December on the back of a chilly end to November. Unfortunately we had the very mild drab run in to christmas just like 12/13 - bad timing, then a shortlived cold spell between christmas and new year with a snow event (2012 stayed mild though). However, despite a decent potent PM blast mid January, January was a far cry from Jan 13, which produced a 2 week very cold snowy spell. February though balanced things out, generally cold lots of frost with the bitter snowy end.

The benchmark remains 09/10 - a superb winter, hopefully will see another like it before too long, severe prolonged cold and heavy snowfalls, no real mild weather at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

I live in western Ireland and we have had a cold winter since mid November with a couple of short milder interludes. Weve had the kitchen sink here, snow, sleet, hail, thunder snow, thunder hail, thunder and lightening, gales, storm force winds, many frosty and icy mornings, evenings, and some ice days. Flooding was also an issue. Temperatures around 0 to 4 degrees by day and -2 to 1 by night in average. Best mild spell was the run up ri xmas which was great for xmas shoppers. Was a very entertaining winter, quite cold was the default weather, with very cold spells and 2 mild spells.