Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?
Sign in to follow this  
Dylan87

Horse Racing ~ Cheltenham

Just wondering is there anyone here into horse racing? I like flat and the jumps but just interested in anyone with a view on Cheltenham this year. What can you see winning?

Very much sweet on Road To Respect for The Gold Cup.

Hi Dylan. I'm a horse racing fan. I like a bet or fifty!

I used to go to Cheltenham on one or two of the festival days but havent been for a few years. It has become too expensive and too busy for me. I bet more successfully at home, away from the chaos of the track.

This is probably the first year in 15 i havent got any early fancies. I'll prob spend next week or so really studying the races. I'm a lover of the big field handicaps (even on normal Saturdays); you can get some great value especially e/w.

I love the Brit/Irish issue at Cheltenham; not for any rivalry or who has most wins, but it is a big wake up call for the British followers - that wake up is that we mustnt forget Ireland has high class racing and their runners are so well prepared for Cheltenham. 

Looking forward to it and i'll suggest a good website where racing fanatics are in forum - take a look at www.theracingforum.co.uk

Cheers

Hi Dylan and Bb, I'm a big  horse racing fan too and worked in the Bookmaking Industry for 25 + years, until suffering a Haemorrhagic Stroke, in Sept.2015. Not worked since and really miss the "craic" and "buzz", of Cheltenham week. Worked for 2 Credit Bookmakers, James Lane ( from 1974 to 1983 ) and Sunderlands ( from 1999 to 2015 ). During that time, I witnessed some fantastic, Cheltenham Festivals. My favourite Champion Hurdle of all time has to be 1978.

Monksfield ( trained by Des McDonogh and ridden by Tommy Carmody ), was the size of a pony but with the heart of a lion . Sea Pigeon ( trained by Peter Easterby, had won as a 2 yr old, when ridden by Piggott. He then went on to finish 7th, in the 1973 Derby ), was blessed with an amazing turn of foot. In the 1978 Champion Hurdle, Monksfield led, coming down the hiil but Sea Pigeon was cantering, in behind. Monksfield showed amazing courage to out battle Sea Pigeon, from the last and up the hill. I bought the Timeform Year Book, of the 1978 season and have never forgot their comment on how well Sea Pigeon, was going.

Sea Pigeon, was cantering all over Monksfield and looked to be " Lombard Street to a China Orange, on!!", according to Timeform!! i have never forgot, that comment. See race below. Enjoy!!

You may have noticed, I've started a thread for a Cheltenham Festival Tipping Competition. There has been plenty of views but no response yet.  I wondered if the two of you, would like to enter it?  No entry fee involved, just a "virtual" £1 E.W. placed on each of your selections, at SP. Entrant with most accumulated "virtual" winnings, shall be deemed the winner. Can still settle bets, so can keep a record of standings. Would appreciate you asking any of your regional members, if they'd like to enter. Oh dear, what have I started!! I'll bump up the Cheltenham Tipping thread, a little later, when there's more members online!!

Regards,

Tom.:hi:

Morning all :)

More of a fan of Flat racing than the Jumps in all honesty and I don't "get" Cheltenham as I think it overshadows the rest of the season.

I find a lot of jump racing uncompetitive at the highest level with too many races for quality horses.

I used to mark the board in the betting shop as a Saturday job in my student days many moons ago but I enjoy the regrettably very occasional afternoon trackside. Unfortunately some of the summer evening cards I used to enjoy have become clogged with tenth rate music making them far too expensive.

Two poor horses dead already isn't there ..  :(  
Or is there more ?

14 minutes ago, Beverley Lass said:

Two poor horses dead already isn't there ..  :(  
Or is there more ?

Put down out of 'kindness', BL? Or because they won't make their trainers/owners the mountains of dosh they'd hitherto expected?

IMO, horse-racing is a horrible sport!:cray:

• Like 1