Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Captain Shortwave

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

28 minutes ago, tinybill said:

Looking at  the radar could get nasty in our area this afternoon

Not overly convinced as the showers seem to be breaking up really easily when they get near the coast :/ Not sure why!

It just keeps on coming. Now if this was rain, Sir Blues nose wouldn’t even poke out the door, however, blizzards, he says, bring it on, stupid dogs.

C3A14702-3DD2-4F27-BF1D-222F180470D0.jpeg

779E8DF4-D5BC-4CD5-96C7-41631D566EF5.jpeg

• Like 4

Just had the best crazy snow storm of the week nr Cambs - threw down a good couple of CM's of fresh snow :D Anther one incoming before the quiet period begins I suspect

Making the most of this as Fridays chances of a decent dump seem to be going down the swanny! 

Crazy snow.mp4

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Weather_Novice said:

I have not looked on the MOD thread and I feel better for it.  However, it means I have no idea as to whether there is an end in sight for this cold, snowy period now.  The forecast on my phone's app suggest that by Saturday/Sunday - the temps will rise??

Thanks.

correct. sunday  5c I think

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, geg1992 said:

Not overly convinced as the showers seem to be breaking up really easily when they get near the coast :/ Not sure why!

See my post @geg1992 were running out of moisture in the plume to our East, also the upper trough is sliding North out of our region now, that takes us back to where we were before with just a bitty showery regime until the moisture is gone.

Was amazing though wasn't it, didn't imagine yesterday when i spoke to you that it would be quite that good:yahoo:

Dan Holley's latest thoughts on tomorrow's possible snow (not including Friday). His updates earlier this week were fairly accurate for this area. 

IMG_2601.PNG

But still a lot of uncertainty, will probably be a just wait and see scenario! 

Edited by saint

Heavy snow shower as in like a blizzard.  wows.

• Like 5

If Storm Emma weakens and slips southwards and misses Britain and Ireland.....you won't be seeing temperatures between 5-9C on Sunday in East Anglia lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bryn Webster said:

If Storm Emma weakens and slips southwards and misses Britain and Ireland.....you won't be seeing temperatures between 5-9C on Sunday in East Anglia lol

Thats what I wish for, however I think  we will need to do a lot of snow dances for it to happen.

9 minutes ago, Matty88 said:

Just had the best crazy snow storm of the week nr Cambs - threw down a good couple of CM's of fresh snow :D Anther one incoming before the quiet period begins I suspect

Making the most of this as Fridays chances of a decent dump seem to be going down the swanny! 

Crazy snow.mp4

I think this has just hit me - it's chucking it down!

1 minute ago, Weather_Novice said:

Is the storm coming up from the SW going to affect our area with regards to precipitation?

Latest charts show it fizzling out quite a bit with every run.... not looking that likely to give us much decent at the moment 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Weather_Novice said:

Is the storm coming up from the SW going to affect our area with regards to precipitation?

Not likely though there is a chance for those in South and West Essex

• Thanks 1

So looks like we are seeing the last few showers of this cold spell this afternoon, it’s been great I must say and it seems most people saw something falling from the sky even though we were scuppered an epic spell by that shortwave in the North Sea at the beginning. A great way to sign off winter! 

Edited by Nimbusman
  • Like 4

This thing has grown from nothing over the last few hours. Almost half a meter in length. Think I might need to call out the gutterers.

ZCzByWN.jpg

• Like 2

Chingford – the snow is back. 

North Sea snowmaker and wind direction looking interesting...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mikel Nimbus said:

This thing has grown from nothing over the last few hours. Almost half a meter in length. Think I might need to call out the gutterers.

ZCzByWN.jpg

Who ya gonna call? Ice busters!

Meh I'm not too bothered about the end of the cold spell if it comes over the weekend. Here we had a decent fall which was fun to see, but just wish it'd arrived just a couple of weeks earlier and been a bit more prolonged in terms of the decent snowfall.

As we all know, we can't get anything better than this week now - if it holds on it'll just be nuisance value IMO. The sun's getting way too strong even for the conditions we have today - it's already making short work of the 8-10 cm I awoke to.

Personally, I'll be on the lookout for mild after the weekend. Bring on the warmer evenings and cold beers - the perk of being a closeted weather nerd is all the seasons have something to offer.

Also I'd say to any who regularly make decent contributions to the MOD thread, thanks. It was a fascinating process to follow and learned a bit along the way. Some pretty barbed comments were made toward some posters in the various threads, which I thought was a bit unnecessary given the potential cold spell was being discussed on this site before it even showed up on the models!

Anyway, cheers. Was frustrating and fun in equal measures.

• Like 3

Looks like the radar is drying up now - moisture feed being cut off, and we will be having a very cold night! It's been fun here for the 5cm or however much we got. Another 3 days of fun and games.

Also, is it just me who thinks it doesn't really feel that cold? Doesn't feel anything like the -10 windchill they have been talking about.

2 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Looks like the radar is drying up now - moisture feed being cut off, and we will be having a very cold night! It's been fun here for the 5cm or however much we got. Another 3 days of fun and games.

Also, is it just me who thinks it doesn't really feel that cold? Doesn't feel anything like the -10 windchill they have been talking about.

It’s not really been windy yet because of the shortwaves that have affected the flow 

8 hours ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

Just run the radar, can now see why central Norfolk didn't get anything overnight. The showers just couldn't make it this far :nonono:

Oh dear we got a foot here and drifting. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

I think it feels absolutely freezing out! I stepped out the door and was caught by a few gusts and was surprised by how cold it felt. 

• Like 1

I don't understand why there are lots of showers to the North and South but next to none over Norfolk? Are we likely to get more showers later?

It's like there's a massive shield diverting the showers and leaving us in the sun

22 minutes ago, Mikel Nimbus said:

ZCzByWN.jpg

It looks like a tornado in that image!