Sign in to follow this  
Captain Shortwave

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

6 minutes ago, Blazerblue said:

Can’t tell anymore what is falling from the sky from what is being whipped up by the winds, up from the ground, down from rooftops and off the trees, it’s mayhem :rofl:

Up, down, backwards, sideways, it's all go innit? :D

Have 2" laying snow in Acton at the moment.. 1" from yesterday and 1" of that fell in last hour so happy I got the chance to enjoy that snow burst.

31 minutes ago, Mikel Nimbus said:

Winds have really picked up in the last 10 minutes. Blowing up big clouds of powder into the air. -3.6C at midday is incredible!

Is it snowing with you?  I am in the City up a big tower and I probably see your location.  Currently sun peeping out here, after white out conditions earlier. Looks to me like you don't have the same at present.

51 minutes ago, Number 23 said:

For the Essex contingent looks like my hometown of Brentwood's a good place to be today!

My old town for 25 years :sorry:

Now in a large clear Zone with no showers, North Norfolk likely to get any more later? I'm North or Norwich and there is minimal coming in from the coast

Showers definitely moving southward over Suffolk now, still a few flakes blowing about here (possibly from the sky, who knows?)

Just now, Norfolk_N_chance said:

Now in a large clear Zone with no showers, North Norfolk likely to get any more later? I'm North or Norwich and there is minimal coming in from the coast

I suspect that's it for much of Norfolk, at least for a few hours.

thames streamer seems to have run out of puff

somerhing stirring a little further northeast over the North Sea - wonder what track these will take - due east or slightly northeast ??

Wow check out all the waves from the North Sea across the center of the UK and Ireland into the Atlantic.

waves.png

Must admit I'm impressed with the longevity of the shower activity today - expected it to all peter out this morning. Wind strength seems to have pepped up the snow squalls

I still anticipate it to die down this afternoon but it's good fun until then! Not much in the way of decent snow totals from today's showers though. 

18 minutes ago, Siberian Express said:

Video of scenes about half an hour ago, Upper Thames Street, bang in the centre of London. Very rare to see this!!!

IMG_0744.MOV

Someone else who doesn't know which way around to shoot a video! 

https://www.wired.com/2013/08/tnhyut-video-in-portrait-mode/

Other than that – great tape!

1 hour ago, plumehead said:

Reckon we're due any more today in the Loughton/chingford area?

Not sure. Seems to be easing off now. 

If we maintain an easterly feed rather than south easterly then we have a chance due to the longer sea track

FGS every time it brightens up and I decide to go out with the camera it starts snowing again! 

Looking at  the radar could get nasty in our area this afternoon

2 minutes ago, tinybill said:

Although radar still looks ok drier air coming in now - convection/showers will likely start to fizzle, worst of todays snow has most likely passed. 

4 minutes ago, tinybill said:

by nasty do you mean snowy? If so I think you mean it could get good not nasty :yahoo:

Think another streamer was expected this evening for our area 

Can see on this pic the back end of the moisture plume running across Germany, when that feed runs out it will be the end of the shower trains across our region.

flow2.png

Just need those narrow streamers to level out so they are running directly east to west! To be honest I’ll be just happy with cloud right now as it’s a battle of snow v sun and the sun is inevitably starting to win!  

Must be cold for small icicles on the palm in the garden 

IMG_20180228_133552_hdr.jpg

Look East now forecasting 9C for Sunday!:shok:

I have not looked on the MOD thread and I feel better for it.  However, it means I have no idea as to whether there is an end in sight for this cold, snowy period now.  The forecast on my phone's app suggest that by Saturday/Sunday - the temps will rise??

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Look East now forecasting 9C for Sunday!:shok:

Total poo isnt it, thats its ending so quick, was hoping as per many of 10/14  days plus once the snow had arrived

To back up Look Eats one of the dutch weather centers is forcasting 7c plus from sat for 10 days, which I really dont believe.