Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Captain Shortwave

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

It's soooo quiet; it's like a bank holiday...Anywho, I'm off to the Jobcentre, for a Jobsfare, at half-past-ten...Ought to be very busy!:shok:

Popped to local co-op, I was the only customer in there, only one check out lady made it in so far lol, but the shelves nicely stocked, so all good. Unfortunately for the more elderly residents in this village they don’t stand much chance of getting out, it’s very slippy with the snow lying in already frozen snow from yesterday. Have fun at the job centre (always a joy I’m sure) 

• Like 1

Morning all :)

Here in lowland East London, it's a glorious winter scene this morning. Reminiscent of Sunday December 19th 2010 though not quite the quantity of fallen snow. I'd say 2-3 inches down here. I actually got up in the night (call of nature) and saw the snow falling, heavy and silent, maybe 4am, maybe later.

There's something inherently relaxing about watching snow fall - yesterday when the big shower hit us, everybody in my office stopped working and stared out the window. It was extraordinary, almost a primal response to the event. Fine and sunny here and up (!) to -2 but I'm expecting the first of two or maybe three ice days even here in London and they will be the first since March 11th 2013.

As to the possibility of more snow today, I don't rule it out later but we'll see.

• Like 1

Morning all. 

A pathetic dusting of snow over night, which is going to be blown away in the strong winds which are forecast for later. 

No snow is forecast for here today

Tomorrow Worthing is bang on the edge of the snow, (just as we have been for the past 2 days) one forecast says we get it, another it stays well west of here. another has rain for the coast then it immediately turning to snow when it moves away from the coast (imagine my shock) 

The Met Office has us JUUUST out of the amber warning, but in the yellow. Such fine margins! 

Roll on the damn spring. 

Edited by tomp456

I thought the winds were SE,ly today? How come showers are showing as going directly Westwards?

Just now, Blazerblue said:

Popped to local co-op, I was the only customer in there, only one check out lady made it in so far lol, but the shelves nicely stocked, so all good. Unfortunately for the more elderly residents in this village they don’t stand much chance of getting out, it’s very slippy with the snow lying in already frozen snow from yesterday. Have fun at the job centre (always a joy I’m sure) 

Took this wee snap from my living-room window:

Image result for deep snow pics

• Like 1

Still snowing here around 4" possibly a bit more in Hindolveston North Norfolk 

1519808786802101128138.jpg

• Like 3

My son sent this an hour ago. He’s in central Norwich. His work, south east of Norwich and in a village, has said they are expecting everyone in today! 😡 

No snow in Melbourn, near Royston, and daughter caught her train to London with much disgust. 

Less than an inch - or 2.5cm to you youngsters - where I am. Although snowing heavily atm 🎉🎊

D9AB1236-A5EC-4F9D-9384-8967D1FC5E78.jpeg

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

It's soooo quiet; it's like a bank holiday...Anywho, I'm off to the Jobcentre, for a Jobsfare, at half-past-ten...Ought to be very busy!:shok:

i would imagine they will cancel as no buses are running

2 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

i would imagine they will cancel as no buses are running

But I must turn up, otherwise I might get 'sanctioned'!:santa-emoji:

• Sad 1

Just now, Ed Stone said:

yep i know, so glad i dont have to play by those rules

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, john mac said:

Yeah hopeing the sun doesn’t melt my precious 1cm 😂. If I can keep it intact today at least I will have a base for any further snow tonight!!

i'm not sure there'll be more snow later - the graphics on the MetO site looks like cloud to me rather that snow but i could be wrong 

For three days only, The Triangle of Doom can be renamed The Dodecahedron (sp?) of Delight!:crazy:

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Snowman31 said:

I thought the winds were SE,ly today? How come showers are showing as going directly Westwards?

Actually they are se behind the shortwave but go back east before going se later so there is a window later this morning and this afternoon 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Even when the police in Suffolk are advising people not to travel?  I’m so sorry you’re under this much pressure when half the staff probably won’t be there today. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, Soaring Hawk said:

Even when the police in Suffolk are advising people not to travel?  I’m so sorry you’re under this much pressure when half the staff probably won’t be there today. 

Thanks for that, SH, but I'm probably the only one relying on Shanks's Pony; got to go collect my latest Fit Note from my GP, too...Cue blizzard!:shok:

About 17-18cm here have not seen these totals since 2010. Looks amazing outside really impressed with the cold spell. 

• Like 2

You are almost direct south of myself 'geographicaly'..

We currently reside in yellow warning areas...thur/fri.

Although have have designs of going amber as we move forwards!? 😉

Screenshot_2018-02-28-09-19-20.png

Screenshot_2018-02-28-09-24-53.png

Screenshot_2018-02-28-09-24-44.png

Snow moving west through Essex into north London. 

SE Essex folk - how’s the snow?

3 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Thanks for that, SH, but I'm probably the only one relying on Shanks's Pony; got to go collect my latest Fit Note from my GP, too...Cue blizzard!:shok:

i'm sure you will be careful, dress warm, check the soles of your boots are not slippery.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tomp456 said:

Morning all. 

A pathetic dusting of snow over night, which is going to be blown away in the strong winds which are forecast for later. 

No snow is forecast for here today

Tomorrow Worthing is bang on the edge of the snow, (just as we have been for the past 2 days) one forecast says we get it, another it stays well west of here. another has rain for the coast then it immediately turning to snow when it moves away from the coast (imagine my shock) 

The Met Office has us JUUUST out of the amber warning, but in the yellow. Such fine margins! 

Roll on the damn spring. 

The ARPEGE looks naughty though ;) If it comes off, everyone gets a free beer from me

Had a nice dusting, that's about it.

Looks like there maybe some more on the way looking at the radar!?!? Seems to have perked up a little?

• Like 2

I'd say we topped out at about 3, maybe 4 inches of ultra powdery snow which is much easier to clear off the car - bonus. The cloud starting to thin so expecting a bit of thawing as the sun peeks through. A few stray flakes still looking for a home. I'd say we're about on par with December's fall here now, perhaps a touch more, which was more than I anticipated when I went to sleep last night and a nice surprise. 

Today is the first day it feels extremely cold on the skin - it is bloody 'taters out. Only a few brave souls in the gym this morning.

Good luck to any who haven't got a covering yet. Hope those to the North enjoy the next few hours!

• Like 1