Sign in to follow this  
Captain Shortwave

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

4 minutes ago, Sno' problem said:

Yup, hopefully they keep clumping as they move through the Thames Estuary.

Any idea why they seem to be dying as they hit the estuary? Seems to be the opposite to what's needed for a streamer...

1 minute ago, Big Snow said:

Any idea why they seem to be dying as they hit the estuary? Seems to be the opposite to what's needed for a streamer...

Look at what is happening on the North Kent coast. As soon as the winds swing further then they should start making their way further down the Thames. But even then, a Thames streamer (if it does evolve)) can be VERY localised. It isn't a case of will it snow here, more of "Oh...It's snowing". Those around the Thames and South of it fare a better chance, so don't expect anything outside of the warning area. 

5 minutes ago, Wivenswold said:

Londoners not amused tonight. I lived there for 21 years and it was rare that we had decent snow, only 79,81,87 and 91 stand out in my memory. 

If it's any consolation, I miss the sultry hot summer days due to the sea breezes round here and there's often a thunderstorm shield in place around Colchester.

Horses for courses I guess. Ultimately being able to buy a 3 bedroom house for less than £200k is what keeps me here.    

To be fair, if you discount the last 4 winters which were generally crap UK wide, London has had its fair share of heavy snowfall. If you look back through the run of winters from 08/09 to 2012/13, we had heavy snowfalls in each of those winters. Feb 2009, Jan 2010, Nov/Dec 2010, Feb 2012, Jan/Feb 2013. 

Plus in north London we had a good snowfall back in December - 3/4 inches. Many of the places down in Kent getting heavy snow now missed out on that in December. 

Showers still making it as far as Norwich but tending to lose their intensity once they come inland by 20 miles or so. Further south they look to be heavier and sustaining quite nicely over the Suffolk coast.

2 minutes ago, Sno' problem said:

Look at what is happening on the North Kent coast. As soon as the winds swing further then they should start making their way further down the Thames. But even then, a Thames streamer (if it does evolve)) can be VERY localised. It isn't a case of will it snow here, more of "Oh...It's snowing". Those around the Thames and South of it fare a better chance, so don't expect anything outside of the warning area. 

Much obliged for the explanation :)

2 minutes ago, danm said:

To be fair, if you discount the last 4 winters which were generally crap UK wide, London has had its fair share of heavy snowfall. If you look back through the run of winters from 08/09 to 2012/13, we had heavy snowfalls in each of those winters. Feb 2009, Jan 2010, Nov/Dec 2010, Feb 2012, Jan/Feb 2013. 

Plus in north London we had a good snowfall back in December - 3/4 inches. Many of the places down in Kent getting heavy snow now missed out on that in December. 

I've been reminiscing to myself about late January 2003, about four inches in a couple of hours. From a north-easterly, I believe. 

It's a mis-conception that London is snowless, like you say, but it does seem an awfully long time now!

15 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Let’s compare our cms  in the morning.

at the moment, the people with snow are vastly outnumbered by those without. 

Lets hope the next 12 hours rectifies that!

I'm losing hope. I keep going outside to check if shower clouds are building up, but all i see are the stars. It's hard to take, we have all the boxes ticked for snow, yet the showers are not as frequent or potent,  well inland, as expected- at least so far.

Edited by Bricriu

7 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

Showers still making it as far as Norwich but tending to lose their intensity once they come inland by 20 miles or so. Further south they look to be heavier and sustaining quite nicely over the Suffolk coast.

Its been crazy here on the coast. Drifting against the pub door. Fall in and out. 

6 minutes ago, Big Snow said:

I've been reminiscing to myself about late January 2003, about four inches in a couple of hours. From a north-easterly, I believe. 

It's a mis-conception that London is snowless, like you say, but it does seem an awfully long time now!

There was also a decent snowfall in Cricklewood back in March 2013. Maybe we have to wait till it's March...:rofl:

Very quiet in here. Down to -6c here in Waltham abbey.

I should be getting some at 3am and then more at 11am:shok: Will i be able to stay awake so i don't miss getting it?

Liking the angle and depth of these showers moving in from the east. The easterly wind shift has done the trick

Edited by Nimbusman

Got about 4/5” on the ground and about to get walloped again. Maybe I should have hired a snow plow from the local vehicle hire garage 😂

19F37037-7153-4195-9B9E-8FC7FC8032D8.jpeg

AB5EB0AC-51C6-4CC0-981D-0B2CB00988B2.jpeg

7ED5C190-49AD-475E-9E82-C5266AD04C04.jpeg

C4B36F42-F4E7-4EE3-91A2-9BD22A477B0E.jpeg

What are you guys finding to be the best “snow” radar app or websites?

1 minute ago, Nimbusman said:

Liking the angle and depth of these showers moving in from the east. The easterly wind shift has down the trick

Latest euro4 back s this up. Unable to post as on my mobile.

looks like this will be an all nighter radar watch these showers look great 

plus there slower moving showers 

Edited by Lampostwatcher

2 minutes ago, Nimbusman said:

Liking the angle and depth of these showers moving in from the east. The easterly wind shift has down the trick

I'm in two minds tbh, NE didn't do it for me, E'ly seems to be pushing everything slightly south. Would an ESE'ly be better? :pardon:

Clear and starry here, just south-west of Cambridge.  Currently -5.6C, low of -6 last night.  A few brief flurries of snow yesterday and today, despite fearsome dark clouds swiftly giving way to sunshine, but only a dusting still on the drive, most of the grass is clear and it didn't settle on the roads.

13 minutes ago, Lampostwatcher said:

looks like this will be an all nighter radar watch these showers look great 

plus there slower moving showers 

Are they moving towards us?

Weird..after 3 inches of nice fluffy stuff tonight giving a lovely thick coating everywhere just had a two minute shower of proper big pellets which smashed their way through the snow so with the outside light on it looks like my nice snow has been machine gunned. Not experienced that before! Not complaining, all good fun.