Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Shortwave

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

Curse me for being in the south of Peterborough, just a dusting whilst a couple of miles up the road has a couple of inches already.

1 minute ago, TheMoonman said:

Not a cloud in the sky. Again. 

Yep same here. And not looking good for anything tonight either. Even with the better synoptics and upper low we still struggle.

1 minute ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Curse me for being in the south of Peterborough, just a dusting whilst a couple of miles up the road has a couple of inches already.

Don't worry :) It's all quiet here now and it looks as though the next band of showers will miss Peterborough and hit further north, so Market Deeping or Stamford way.

1 minute ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Hmm zilch here just South of Peterborough hoping when the isobar kink arrives it will swing em round more South!

41 minutes ago, Ice Day said:

Yep, sounds about right.  I'm measuring -6.5c currently. I suspect the temperature will start to rise soon as the winds pick up.

Thanks Ice Day.

-7.2 just need the snow now.

just outside tonight' s warning zone 

1-3 cm possible so these showers look like being much heavier than today's and more frequent coming from the east 

Lots more fun to come from the looks of the latest Dutch radar. Here is a link to that, plusa page where you can check the historical radar (to compare how things looked yesterday to today etc.):

https://www.buienradar.nl/wereldwijd/europa/buienradar

and the historical one:

https://www.buienradar.nl/wereldwijd/europa/buienradar-terugkijken/archief/201801272100

Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 21.34.24.png

Looking at the radar - looks like the winds are changing more easterly - as the showers that were hitting Peterborough from the Wash are now going to our north

Latest radar shows a definite move towards an Easterly now. Showers off the Essex coast are now almost travelling West!

Come on you Thames... You can do it!

(South Essex next in the firing line I reckon)

Edited by Sno' problem

3 minutes ago, Sno' problem said:

Lots more fun to come from the looks of the latest Dutch radar. Here is a link to that, plusa page where you can check the historical radar (to compare how things looked yesterday to today etc.):

https://www.buienradar.nl/wereldwijd/europa/buienradar

and the historical one:

https://www.buienradar.nl/wereldwijd/europa/buienradar-terugkijken/archief/201801272100

Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 21.34.24.png

Looking good parts of our area that haven't seen much.

Wonder how we'll fare in London?

Must be a chance of a true Thames streamer setting up with all that instability 

I am going to go and cook dinner, by the time I get back, I am hoping that showers wouldf have made inroads through South Essex and the Blackwater Estuary helping to fire things up. Meanwhile, Norfolk, Cambs, Notts, Peterborough and Huntingdon and East (maybe West) Suffolk should keep the showers flowing in and totals increasing.

Back soon and good luck all!

(EDIT: It was meant to say East Suffolk, but let's hope it both hemispheres of Suffolk!)

Edited by Sno' problem

These showers are pretty hefty, roads clear at 5pm and everywhere turned white at 5.30pm.

There will be traffic chaos in the morning, I had a queue of recovery trucks delivering smashed up cars today, tomorrow will be worse.

Please all take care on the roads, too many people driving too fast for the conditions......at least they keep me in work and meals on our table.

4 minutes ago, IPredictASnowStorm said:

look at the snow on bbc weather short forecast shows snow at 3 and 6 for all London areas looks quite heavy aswell! could get some cms

Correct!

BA733373-B474-4BBC-AE75-F986ACF88E77.jpeg

Predict for around 00:30 tonight.

Thats some large shower  activity across our region!.

Exaction are likely on any given placements...but gives an-idea of the possible larger swath acumulations in -compare to last nights events..

Looking fairly good i'd say.

With perhaps even more acivity later in the night.

Screenshot_2018-02-27-21-44-27.png

Edited by tight isobar

Evening all :)

Not much to add - in Lowland East London, patches from the afternoon showers remain but it's brutally cold at -3.5c.

Tonight's the night I think and expecting some more serious snow in the early hours - mercifully I'm not travelling tomorrow.

Good Luck to anyone who has to venture out in the early morning - could be very interesting.

As CS illustrated with that shallow low, I'm expecting a more pronounced band of general snow to move W over EA. watch for the showers between here and Holland possibly clustering as we head toward midnight 

Coldest night of this winter so far -3.4c here now.  Snow cover helps I guess.

These showers seem to producing a lot of snow considering how relatively light they are showing up on the radar. I imagine the cold uppers and surface temps are meaning the snow to moisture ratio is better than we are used to.