Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Captain Shortwave

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

Just now, shotski said:

Is Thursdays/Fridays event looking like a non starter for our area ? Most models seem to keep the precipitation over the southwest and into Ireland. 

You may catch it as it moves north on Thursday. Coming up from the channel 

5 minutes ago, shotski said:

Is Thursdays/Fridays event looking like a non starter for our area ? Most models seem to keep the precipitation over the southwest and into Ireland. 

There are still some doubts and I think it will be more Friday into Saturday for here. Also much lighter snow than further west. But you never know still a long way off. But those in the know in the model thread seem to think the cold air will be gone for us by Sunday.

7 hours ago, Planet Stow said:

Hi Yamkin. Is that all parts of London? Anything to get excited about for us Snow starved Londoners?

Sorry I did not get to you sooner. Hope you enjoyed the snow :D

11 minutes ago, shotski said:

The front on Thursday dies a death but could still deliver a dusting in the south of the region. Friday sees a more active front move north during Friday afternoon, this could begin to slow somewhat over our part so the chance of a decent covering which will only thaw slowly over the weekend.

So, it’s been an on-off snow day today here in North Norfolk. I’d say about 3 inches all told and I see it starting to fall again.....

Very cold (when the wind blows which isn’t often) but mainly dry for this neck of the woods and now the potential snow Thursday/Friday seems to be downgraded for this area so tbh looking like a non event in terms of snow here but i cant complain because had a fair bit early December and glad that finally our more south eastern areas have seen some decent snow! So for now I’m looking for warmer spring weather before we do all this again next year :yahoo:

Well I think it’s safe to say those showers over the estuary are definitely on their way to Kent. 

Winds are due to swing ESE in the early hours so hopefully we see some showers move inland then before the feed gets cut off due to the shorter sea track. 

Edited by danm

2 hours ago, Bryn Webster said:

My my this sun is strong.

This area is really bereft of much cloud let alone showers over the last 2 days....any reasons?

Capture.PNG

This always happens during an Easterly here mate, the snow showers are weak around Cambs too.  

I’m calling it. West London this is as good as it is going to get. 0.2mm of snow. The lack of a proper Thames streamer has been our undoing, wind just veering in the wrong direction for us. All those that have done well congrats, I owe my 9 year old £20 as I promised her snow to cover her boots #whatamug

1 minute ago, Easily sled said:

I’m calling it. West London this is as good as it is going to get. 0.2mm of snow. The lack of a proper Thames streamer has been our undoing, wind just veering in the wrong direction for us. All those that have done well congrats, I owe my 9 year old £20 as I promised her snow to cover her boots #whatamug

Don’t give up yet...still another 3 days at least to go

I will most probably upset some people on here but really yesterday and today has been a bit of a bore fest, yes I've seen snow nothing special and soon the sun came out gone! Not been no where as cold as I thought it would have today , in fact I think Sunday felt colder personally, but that's my opinion anyway.

Well, day 2 into the beast am I am extremely erm........ let`s say disappointed.

The best synoptics in years and makes December seem brilliant. Tomorrow morning looks like the 1st dusting IMBY and I am clinging on to Friday like someone is trying to steal my last fiver.

Downbeat.

2 minutes ago, slater said:

I will most probably upset some people on here but really yesterday and today has been a bit of a bore fest, yes I've seen snow nothing special and soon the sun came out gone! Not been no where as cold as I thought it would have today , in fact I think Sunday felt colder personally, but that's my opinion anyway.

Have to agree, its been cold but to me not exceptionally. Snow has not really been an issue here at all and the only possible decent snow has been downgraded and if it does fall will not last long before the warmer air moves in! However for some in the SE of our region it has/will be a great event :) 

Had more snow in December. Hopeing for better on Thursday and Friday 🙏

It’s been exceptional in terms of depth of cold this late in the season. In fact, at any point in the winter this would be pretty exceptional (850 temps getting down to -15/-16c is rare). 

Synoptically it is also great. However, exceptional cold and great synoptics aren’t a guarantee of anything, and unfortunately for many of us north and west of Kent the wind flow hasn’t aligned for us properly. If we had more of a ENE/E wind flow there would have been huge amounts of snow piling up into Greater London, SW Essex, Herts, Bucks etc. It’s just bad luck. 

Anyway, the cold spell isn’t finished yet. As winds swing round to an ESE tomorrow morning there may be an opportunity for more showers to move E to W before the convection reduces for the SE. We may also get some decent snowfall Thursday/Friday before the thaw sets in on Saturday. 

Well, had about 2-3cm here to start the day and a further top up to about 4 or 5cm about 10am but after that it's been dry and mostly sunny and any snow that was in the sunlight has all melted. Looking like some heavy showers expected for a time overnight as the wind direction changes before they become lighter and more scattered during tomorrow, so could be a repeat performance of today. Thursday looks dry and then it's all eyes on Friday potentially.

I like snow but that's probably enough for me now, I'd prefer it to get more spring like as we go into March. However, hope that places that have missed out so far get some luck tomorrow with that wind direction change or on Friday with the approaching front.

Edited by Long haul to mild

Need to keep an eye on this band curving on a more ENE wind.....potential for later if it can hold together and pep up...freezing out under clear skies 

Dont give up yet people...congrats to those in snow staved Kent, Norfolk, Suffolk coastal areas who got good snow well deserved.

image.jpeg

Edited by FiftyShadesofSnow

looks  like fri now  for prolonged snow to arr

1 minute ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Finally some heavier showers starting to push into Norfolk in a discreet line. Some bright echoes exiting the Wash.

Lets hope the snow machine fires up. Although we have had an enjoyable spell of snow,, not beastly but very pleasant. Had enough to toboggan.

We never get snow here so awesome.

Temperature plummeting now .  - 6.5. All good.

I have now learned for the future that a NE wind means no snow for this part. Will remember this before I get exited in the future 

According to NW's homepage it's -3C with a 3mph northerly zephyr...That said, the cloud and heavy snow is as non-existent as possible. It's gin clear!:cray::D

12 minutes ago, FiftyShadesofSnow said:

Need to keep an eye on this band curving on a more ENE wind.....potential for later if it can hold together and pep up...freezing out under clear skies 

Dont give up yet people...congrats to those in snow staved Kent, Norfolk, Suffolk coastal areas who got good snow well deserved.

image.jpeg

Is that moving as one lump? :)