Sign in to follow this  
Captain Shortwave

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

moderate snow here settling 

first shower of the day very slight top up 

Edited by Lampostwatcher

Decisions my Mercedes AMG sport rear wheel drive automatic with heated seats windscreen or my daughter's KA with nothing heated? gotta go work got not option 😓

Still snowing here in Chingford but lighter now

Activity has all but died out fully here now, can't complain because we have got something but can't help but want more..

22 minutes ago, mike Meehan said:

No, it can never be too cold to settle but when it is very dry snow does sublimate i.e. ice changing from a solid to a gaseous state without the intervening state of being a liquid. 

As it happens I see the cu is now building up more, the temp is now +1 C :angry:, however the radar shows showery activity over Holland and the North Sea heading in our direction. 

They can throw down Artic snow proportions into Chelmsford, just just settling!  Very frustrating really and surprising.
Just had a persistent, heavy fall, the ground is now damp as it has all "sublimated" ...

1 hour ago, Weather_Novice said:

Need to be educated here!  Why is snow failing to settle in Chelmsford?  Just had a heavy-ish shower with large flakes but as soon as they his the ground, they melt!  The temp is around freezing and dew point must be favourable??  :cc_confused::cc_confused::unknw:

Basically the air is just above freezing so the surface in contact with it is just above freezing hence the melt if just a few flakes land on it. Sun in addition causes some very slight heating in between showers. 

A fair bit of instability showing up well inland over the UK now.

Just above freezing here, but fantastic blue skies and sun are out now so it's actually feeling pretty mild.. I wouldn't mind if the snow melts now as long as the sun stays!

Looks fairly quiet for much of the region for the next few hours 

looking to the North Sea for some convection to begin - there are plenty of snow showers coming but they are still about 45 mins or so from the Norfolk coast

Doesn’t look to be too much in the meantime  (apart from the shower approaching London but these showers aren’t really lasting long enough to put sufficient cover down to avoid melt)

Edited by bluearmy

Just now, john mac said:

Has it settled at all? I live in Chingford but am at work in central London.

9 minutes ago, john mac said:

Sun has come out now and stopped snowing again.

Anything that settled has more or less melted...

Edited by Planet Stow

Wife sent me this from Chingford

DF9AD440-B0CC-413C-AD7C-E7CFDA945097.jpeg

1 minute ago, Planet Stow said:

Sun has come out now and stopped snowing again.

Anything that settled has more or less melted...

Melted already? :nonono:

9 minutes ago, Delka said:

Activity has all but died out fully here now, can't complain because we have got something but can't help but want more..

3" here in Dersingham, sublimating like mad in the sunnier interludes.  Don't worryDelka, more to come

If you want things to stick then you need to wait for after 3/4pm as the sun loses some intensity 

that’s assuming the showers aren’t potent enough to put down a proper covering of an inch 

The frustrating thing is that all the showers so far in this spell in the daytime when they melt straight after and at night there has been nothing. Same again today.

Any shower activity expected around here in the evening and overnight?

12 minutes ago, Weather_Novice said:

They can throw down Artic snow proportions into Chelmsford, just just settling!  Very frustrating really and surprising.
Just had a persistent, heavy fall, the ground is now damp as it has all "sublimated" ...

Naw, that's melted!

3 minutes ago, Snowman31 said:

The frustrating thing is that all the showers so far in this spell in the daytime when they melt straight after and at night there has been nothing. Same again today.

Any shower activity expected around here in the evening and overnight?

Yes, seems we should see some more snow move westwards overnight as the wind changes direction again. 

Yeah can confirm that we are melting here! Dusting on the grass is surviving though would've looked better if I'd mowed it properly last time :oops:

9 minutes ago, Candice said:

3" here in Dersingham, sublimating like mad in the sunnier interludes.  Don't worryDelka, more to come

Same amount here, disappearing rapidly out of shady areas of the garden though. Let's hope it starts up again soon because the radar is looking very grim for Norfolk now

Had our dosing just now - a good solid coating of polystyrene nr Cambridge! Satisfied. Bring on spring lol 

viber image.jpg

The snow that we did have is rapidly melting in the strong ☀️. Glad I can now tell on the know it alls in the model forum that the 3foot drifts never materialised ha! Really tho this has all been ramp up ! Monday and today was meant to be serious wind chill , well I can say not a breath of wind and the air temp is -1c but in the sun feels mild 

16 minutes ago, danm said:

Has it settled at all? I live in Chingford but am at work in central London.

Yeah, it came down hard. Settled but sun out know. Still on the grass and cars.