Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Shortwave

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

Heavy snow again at the most easterly point in Suffolk! We’ve had thunder snow earlier...now a few centimetres laying...with more coming right now! Fun night ahead!

36 minutes ago, Will Whittaker said:

I do feel this easterly has been so hyped.

Clear skies, no wind. perhaps looks as if some one has burst a bean bag in my garden. 

Does anyone actually remember a proper easterly.

This was hyped as once in 100 yr event. Laughable.

I hope someone somewhere gets a snowdrift. 

No one ever said once in a hundred years, unless you dreamt it.

Today since the Easterly graced our shores was never from memory in forecast relation meant to be a white out, Only Snow showers, The events are meant to start from early hours tomorrow and so on. Temps are on an even more decline from now and continuing through this week. As posted before, Confident of much intense and prolonged snow early hours and so on for most within this thread. No chance of melt..not at - 7c and below. Wind chill will be bitter.

Page 47, By 10.00am 120 + 

17 minutes ago, Lampostwatcher said:

Tuesday's warning starts at midnight to midnight 

so let' see if where I live can best 3 showers today 

leaving a grand total of 0.3cms so far lol

24 hour radar watch coming up :rofl:

Beats me by around 0.029 cm. Epic beast this one.

Ok, good night..Check back tomorrow. :hi:

11 minutes ago, Lampostwatcher said:

Tuesday's warning starts at midnight to midnight 

so let' see if where I live can best 3 showers today 

leaving a grand total of 0.3cms so far lol

24 hour radar watch coming up :rofl:

Plus the amber warning starts from 2am. The wind is currently coming in from the NE, with forecasts indicating it will start swinging to a more ENE direction from about 3am, which will improve chances of a streamer: http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/forecast
As it stands from the latest radars, there is a good conveyor belt of ppn coming off the North Dutch coast which will be propelling our convection as we enter the early hours. 

Still on track as far as the Met Office warnings go, so t is another case of radar watching.

Radar North Europe .png

How does one measure snow that's only 1 grain deep but has gaps between grains- does it get smoothed out or is it the height of the grain? This is the localised dilemma the beast has caused. 

1 minute ago, Sno' problem said:

Plus the amber warning starts from 2am. The wind is currently coming in from the NE, with forecasts indicating it will start swinging to a more ENE direction from about 3am, which will improve chances of a streamer: http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/forecast
As it stands from the latest radars, there is a good conveyor belt of ppn coming off the North Dutch coast which will be propelling our convection as we enter the early hours. 

Still on track as far as the Met Office warnings go, so t is another case of radar watching.

Radar North Europe .png

Sno, hopefully we can see showers start to push inland again soon enough.

Also, during the early hours of Wednesday it sounds like we could do alright as the winds swing towards the south? Interesting times ahead once again. 

4 minutes ago, saint said:

Sno, hopefully we can see showers start to push inland again soon enough.

Also, during the early hours of Wednesday it sounds like we could do alright as the winds swing towards the south? Interesting times ahead once again. 

Without doubt... Even I am expecting to get a covering at some point which, considering my location, is a rarity!

Just now, Sno' problem said:

Without doubt... Even I am expecting to get a covering at some point which, considering my location, is a rarity!

Still a lot of surprises to come... Felt like today was a bit of a bonus considering how dry forecasts and models were for those of us north of the Thames. 

All the fun is yet to come!

The showers moving through Suffolk and Norfolk look to be holding their strength now, so they should start making their way inland soon.

14 minutes ago, Big Snow said:

No one ever said once in a hundred years, unless you dreamt it.

Local Radio nvm. Actually got a nice white garden at sea level so. That has not happened for a good 20 years. Was just expecting a beast tbh.

1 minute ago, Will Whittaker said:

Local Radio nvm. Actually got a nice white garden at sea level so. That has not happened for a good 20 years. Was just expecting a beast tbh.

Today is a bonus was not expected. Hope to see some convection off the North Sea over the coming days.

I am just being boring because i am not getting enough snow.

Spits out dummy.  Its been about 30 yr since the last  viable easterly  to give good snow depth on my coast. Was hoping for a white out. Good luck all. hope it smashes somewhere.

10 minutes ago, Sno' problem said:

All the fun is yet to come!

The showers moving through Suffolk and Norfolk look to be holding their strength now, so they should start making their way inland soon.

Really? One blob I was looking at on a line to London now fading.

EDIT: More than one. Yellows to light greens to blues the closer it gets

Edited by SF-02

17 minutes ago, SF-02 said:

Really? One blob I was looking at on a line to London now fading.

EDIT: More than one. Yellows to light greens to blues the closer it gets

It should change as the wind changes

Nice. I reckon you are gonna be hit hard overnight. Thanks for pics.

Just push some up the coast please. ; ) we are getting 5 second bursts. very strange, still not covering the ground. If all else fails  coming to Lowestoft tomorrow. Best Cod and chips in the east btw.

Wow, it's quiet in here tonight and having read back a few pages, quite a few annoyed/disappointed posters!!

Think the problem stems from the current set-up being called the Beast from the East. That suggests to the mind Russia & Siberia, the most common next connection with these places being heavy and prolonged snow, several feet deep etc. Some of the media in the UK positively encourages this train of thought.

The "Beast" was only ever meant to bring an uncommon period of deep cold to the UK - which it has.

Any accompanying snowfall is a sideshow rather than a certainty which I think a few people have misunderstood or forgotten. 

Also remember that we are only one day in to a cold spell likely to go on for another three days at least. There is every chance that most in the region will see a covering of snow at some point - probably not the amount hoped for but things can change at short notice in this unusual situation.

Chins up - most years we would just be looking at an outlook of mild temperatures and rain at the beginning of March - lets see what happens!

Well said Mitre!

The showers are beginning to make slight inroads and the wind seems to be veering to more of an ENE direction and picking up, so I expect the ppn to start building slowly now. 

The ultimate question is, how far into our region will the heavier ppn go? I think the Met Office warnings will be fairly accurate as to where the heaviest snowfall will be, but it may move further North, depending on when and how far the wind veers to more of an Easterly.

Look out for a mini streamer that may build from the Blackwater Estuary (where Maldon is on the Essex coast on the radar map) it could boost things for the North Essex and London area.

Edited by Sno' problem

1 minute ago, Sno' problem said:

Radar is getting far more organised now over Suffolk and Essex.

Radar shot 12.45 am.png

Greater London becoming more in focus!

It certainly is! I am still on the fringes, but some parts of London will come to a standstill.

Finally getting some in SWF. I got a couple of minutes of watching until they switched off the lamp posts!