Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Shortwave

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

1 minute ago, Rayleighlass said:

I’m off Downhall Rd, Hambro end. Keeping fingers crossed 🤞

Tell me you are ok, I'm going to worry now.  That's a scary road.  Stay indoors (wags imaginary fingers)

54 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Yh

The Fax chart Nick F posted in the other thread surely cheers everyone up in here tonight. 

Streamers galore, at least 3 of them

52 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

fax0s.gif

Wash streamer which is currently under way and one running down the coast of Suffolk and Essex an into the Thames clearly marked as the areas at risk of highest snowfall. 

For my location the wind really needs to remain towards the north east or all that snow will just push into the Midlands and avoid Cambridgeshire.

Waiting for the Stevenage Duck Pond Streamer here. 

1 minute ago, Lowestoft Weather said:

8CF130B4-5A1F-4680-B756-C50E97126CBD.jpeg

93FA5374-3811-44AC-BD4D-A6E36669769F.jpeg

754C07DD-1DDF-4151-A853-627316604BC6.jpeg

FA94CDEF-44A4-430D-961B-E956FAA68AA8.jpeg

D87C1F1F-B5E9-45B7-B8F7-94C8FDCE1DB2.jpeg

To think I lived in that part of the world for most of my life. Great to see some proper snow falling somewhere. Also my in laws live in south Essex who have also reported quite a bit of snow. Alas I am here in Cambridgeshire hoping for a few flakes in the wind... :rofl:

7 minutes ago, Lowestoft Weather said:

SNOW STORM!!!!!! WHITE OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS.

wow, not seen that

Nearly finished my shift - alot of the time I'm out on a loading bay I've never felt such brutal cold air my face is actually painful to touch x

Glad i stayed up now, but i think the cover of snow we have wont melt overnight and it bodes well if other showers come in the night to make accumulations.

2 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

To think I lived in that part of the world for most of my life. Great to see some proper snow falling somewhere. Also my in laws live in south Essex who have also reported quite a bit of snow. Alas I am here in Cambridgeshire hoping for a few flakes in the wind... :rofl:

It really did come down, just incredible. We had about 2 inches fall in 20 minutes. Photos to follow.........

1 minute ago, JennyJane1 said:

wow, not seen that

I'm trying to upload a video but it's too large sadly..... The lightning was toward Pakefield and Southwold so I think Great Yarmouth may have just missed the worst. 

well no point doing a night lamp post watch in braintree.  Perhaps theres a chance at the end of the week.

1 minute ago, Lowestoft Weather said:

It really did come down, just incredible. We had about 2 inches fall in 20 minutes. Photos to follow.........

I'm trying to upload a video but it's too large sadly..... The lightning was toward Pakefield and Southwold so I think Great Yarmouth may have just missed the worst. 

wow, it snowed a blizzard here for a minute or so but not a whiteout.

Not a random flake here. All this talk of streamers and thundersnow is making me jealous. Can we have your thoughts and prayers for Braintree? 

Just been into the mod thread and the GFs18z is at last heading in the right direction for Thursday nights event. Low further south and east keeping it an all snow event for our region. Also pressure rise in Scandinavia halting the northward shift of the milder air. 12z had the front reaching southern Scotland on Saturday morning. 18z has it much further south👍

You can't make it up..  some how missed both showers. 

Screenshot_20180226-221646.png

Edited by smith25

Long time lurker but wanted to post a pic of this very dark ominous cloud which has just rolled across the horizon.  

Its literally like a wave breaking, white fluff followed by dark yellow and grey.  A thing of beauty! Not sure if the photo has really captured it at all

Colchester 

3F56AD86-2BEC-4BB4-8994-727630A0E985.jpeg

1 hour ago, Paul Sherman said:

Thanks Captain

The Twigs are Streamers

Convergence zones strictly-speaking as you of course are aware; I thought I'd mention it for those who may not know.  Unusual to have a Wash Streamer and Thames Streamer concurrently?

1 minute ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Convergence zones strictly-speaking as you of course are aware; I thought I'd mention it for those who may not know.  Unusual to have a Wash Streamer and Thames Streamer concurrently?

Yes very unusual - Seen it in the summer up and down the coasts with Sea Breezes but rare in winter

Calling it a night I think. 

Good luck to all the hardy souls who stay up! 

I must admit after seeming like we had a couple of streaers setting up, the convection coming in from the sea has become more scattered and evenly distributed. Clear skies overhead after a couple of hours of thick cloud and on and off light snow. Hopefully convection should pick up as lapse rates improve as the disturbance over the north sea approaches northern England.

Calling it a night from East Cambs - not going to be our night I feel. Best of luck to all further SE!

let the fun and games resume tomorrow hopefully :D 

Well that was a surprise! Looked out of the window and we have just had a covering in Norwich - had pretty much thrown the towel in for the night! 

Are we more likely to get heavier showers tomorrow and Wednesday or are we at the peak now?

I hope everyone can get a bit of the action. We have a very light dusting here 

well im off to bed got three 15 hr shifts coming up, hoping to wake up with a covering, night all, and may we all get something, oh im still in the Amber area, just  :D

finally the big boys are coming to town 

big showers now brewing up out to sea 

need these to hold together and push our way