Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Maybe we should hold the post mortem after the cold spell has ended, not on the first day before the weather warnings even come into force. The showers will getting heavier and more frequent as colder and more unstable air pushes in across the region.

For the record, the yellow warning for today is from 16:00 onwards so still an hour to go there. 

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 5

Posted
20 minutes ago, mitre10 said:

I am in Epping looking out of a second floor window towards Harlow and it is blue sky in that direction. Think what you were looking at will go several miles to the north of here and North London. 

Can't see any showers here for the next hour or so.

I am in Epping Upland, was heavy snow here 20 mins ago, drove to Epping high street and was sunshine. Nothing settling here though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

NW London looks to be getting a hefty shower now, with more building out in the North Sea. Looking good for later on.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Maybe we should hold the post mortem after the cold spell has ended, not on the first day before the weather warnings even come into force. The showers will getting heavier and more frequent as colder and more unstable air pushes in across the region.

For the record, the yellow warning for today is from 16:00 onwards so still an hour to go there. 

What uppers have we got at the moment?

Posted
5 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Spot on Cap'n.

Posted
1 minute ago, Sno' problem said:

NW London looks to be getting a hefty shower now, with more building out in the North Sea. Looking good for later on.

A lot more showers for us westerners than I was expecting today Sno' problem! 

Posted

I love the irony. BBC/Meteogroup were ridiculed when they showed the better snow Norwich northwards but in our favour they have been steadfast with Thur/Fri snow so that could be a bonus. Have not had a look at any models as at work today but the Thames Estuary looking east looks like it is losing that convective look and clouds losing height. Is the Amber warning still warranted I wonder or should it be downgraded to a yellow with patchy 5-10cm over hills ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
Just now, john mac said:

What uppers have we got at the moment?

Should be between -12C and -14C, though 500mb heights will be lowering steadily until late Wednesday whilst the 850s hold steady (Perhaps dropping to around -16C later on Wedneday).

• Like 2

Posted

Anyone saying this is not a notable cold spell is wrong, plain and simple.

There WILL be disruptive snowfall tonight in large swathes of northern, eastern and south-eastern England. That in itself is unusual. Max temperatures one or two degrees during the daytime - again, highly unusual for our part of the world.

Here in north London it's been nothing remarkable but certainly better than most winters with sunshine and show showers. Just because you don't have blizzards in your back garden doesn't make this cold spell any less unusual or memorable for others.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!
17 minutes ago, Mustang said:

Just been out for a walk with the dogs over at Admirals Park, that wind is damn cold brrr

Chelmsford seems to be missing most of the snow at present, hope that changes later on.

Yeah bloody cold out!!

I think we'd be unlucky not to see an inch or two come Wed pm, and I think that's still an even money bet. Then, of course, there's the potential for it to go out with a bang toward the weekend which I'm still hopeful for if we are to lose the cold air.

The showers this morning here were pretty explosive when they arrived at times, and I think that shows the potential for accumulations if we can just get enough of them and at the right time of day. I'd say anything else falling later should stick, so all good.

Posted
Just now, saint said:

A lot more showers for us westerners than I was expecting today Sno' problem! 

Only had a couple of brief heavy bursts here so far, but convection is building nicely out to the NE, so looking good!
I'm glad Herts and Beds are getting into the action now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.
5 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

I’m quietly optimistic seeing the big rash of showers over the country today, they will only get heavier tomorrow with the deeper cold and a strong sun, a very unusual set up for the Uk.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sno' problem said:

Missed me by about 100 flippin yards.

Posted
Just now, Sno' problem said:

Only had a couple of brief heavy bursts here so far, but convection is building nicely out to the NE, so looking good!
I'm glad Herts and Beds are getting into the action now.

I didn't expect any convective activity today, or at least until tonight, so it's a good start. Hopefully we can build on it. 

Posted

It's easy to get disheartened but it's only the 1st day - I knew last week that there were people on this thread being completely unrealistic, going bananas thinking it would be constant heavy snow and blizzards for all but it's DEFINITELY not that - there has never been anything particularly organised within the charts as far as heavy snow is concerned for the SE. 

I would also point out that the snow cover charts only starts mounting up from tonight - most of us may get at least a few CM's in the next dew days. You can't rule out some not getting much at all though (until Thursday/Friday).

All in all nothing unexpected as far as I'm concerned - still plenty to look forward to though and the potential for at least a few CM's or inches if your lucky :D 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

@Captain Shortwave

Just realized this new thread split has cost us the input of Steve Murr, is the split just for this cold spell or will it be more permanent ?

Posted
Just now, Big Snow said:

Missed me by about 100 flippin yards.

I know the feeling, but not to worry, the wind has turned slightly more to an ENE and the ppn looks to be getting more organised in the past couple of radar runs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
5 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

I love the irony. BBC/Meteogroup were ridiculed when they showed the better snow Norwich northwards but in our favour they have been steadfast with Thur/Fri snow so that could be a bonus. Have not had a look at any models as at work today but the Thames Estuary looking east looks like it is losing that convective look and clouds losing height. Is the Amber warning still warranted I wonder or should it be downgraded to a yellow with patchy 5-10cm over hills ?

The amber warning is for tomorrow is it not?

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, The East has Ceased said:

@Captain Shortwave

Just realized this new thread split has cost us the input of Steve Murr, is the split just for this cold spell or will it be more permanent ?

When things turn quieter then the regions will be merged again, so probably until the end of the cold spell.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Sno' problem said:

I know the feeling, but not to worry, the wind has turned slightly more to an ENE and the ppn looks to be getting more organised in the past couple of radar runs.

I was wondering about that, from what I can see convection seems to be increasing yet all the forecasts suggest showers dying back north of the Thames tonight and aligning through Kent. Any thoughts?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Amber warning updated to cover more of the SE!

• Like 2