Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
3 minutes ago, Essex Chelle said:

Had some amazing short showers here on canvey this morning but already I'm having moany people saying to me "told you it wasn' goimg to be much"  

this has been pants so far . . . 

Posted

Had some heavy snow showers earlier, but it rapidly melted despite temperatures being below freezing. We really need sustained overnight snowfall for decent accumulations, because I think the sun will soon get to work on any settled snow by day.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
Just now, Speedbird said:

this has been pants so far . . . 

It wasn't meant to be anything else...I don't understand your point.  All the people saying it's snowing at their location are all reporting the same thing: short, sharp showers which result in little to no accumulation.  Have patience, my padawan.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
4 minutes ago, Planet Stow said:

Is it due to hit our neck of the woods?

It's current trajectory is moving WSW towards Suffolk, Essex and G. London, however will have to keep an eye on the radar to make sure it doesn't swing to the south of us. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Dbarb said:

Just read it up, its because of sublimation where the strong sun partnered with low humidity turn the snow straight to a gas and not into liquid. 

But the pavements are wet where the snow has gone - going back to Dec 2010 (and way back when), powder snow collected in the kerbs and the pavements stayed dry as sublimation did indeed occur. 

The solar input is effective here and melting any thin layers of snow. If we get a couple cms down then it likely won’t melt.

• Like 3

When I wake up first thing I do is check my phone ... when I see London capital has had snow I kinda thought oooooo snow ! I jump out of bed and see sunshine ☀️ ok so TONIGHT is the night I stay up and stare at my lamp post like a mad woman ? I’m sure my neighbours across the road think I’m looking in their house ! so tempted to knock and say hi when I’m sitting on my bed looking out my window I’m not looking in your house I’m looking at my lamp post ! Not sure what sounds worse :oops:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Sadly melting when the sun comes out so not getting very far here...so now we're relying on an overnight event?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Heavy snow here coming down sideways 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Wet surfaces is not a sign of sublimation, it's a sign of melting snow which is a bit surprising considering how cold it is. Air temperatures are creeping slightly above freezing in some spots but dew points are sub zero region wide. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

As mentioned perhaps this afternoon into tonight will get things going. Still, fun watching it fall but I still feel an inch widely is about right, maybe two here and there.

The parallels wth '91 and '87 earlier last week when the severity looked much more prolonged and widespread has probably raised expectations a bit too high for our region. We'll get nowhere close to that so probably best to just chill and enjoy what we get!

Edited by Number 23
  • Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, danm said:

Wet surfaces is not a sign of sublimation, it's a sign of melting snow which is a bit surprising considering how cold it is. Air temperatures are creeping slightly above freezing in some spots but dew points are sub zero region wide. 

My surfaces are not wet they just go dry within minutes the air is far to dry for the snow to lay.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

Not keen on sideways snow ... hurts my neck tilting it to watch .... enjoy your snow ... might as well get bikini on here 

Careful!  There are a fair number of sad old men on here !!!

anyway, today is reminiscent of some of the easterlies of the late seventies - let’s hope we can hit the jackpot like we did back then !!

Posted

showers will become more frequent and heavier by 12 you see now looking at the radar there building towards the east

the WARNING was from 12 onwards and all night 

I'm expecting 2-5cm by midnight 

if you look the heavy showers near great Yarmouth there heading our way in London in the next few hours

Edited by Lampostwatcher
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!
8 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Careful!  There are a fair number of sad old men on here !!!

anyway, today is reminiscent of some of the easterlies of the late seventies - let’s hope we can hit the jackpot like we did back then !!

You still think there's scope for that, BA? Maybe it's the old rose-tinted glasses overegging the severity of winters gone by! It just feels a bit 'wrong' at the moment - maybe it's the lateness of the season and length of the days making it feel more Spring-like than it actually is. Not temp wise but psychologically at least.

Edited by Number 23

Posted
  • Location: Woodham Walter Essex,between Danbury and Maldon 42 m asl
  • Location: Woodham Walter Essex,between Danbury and Maldon 42 m asl

Little balls falling now but it's really warm outside? Weird.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather
14 hours ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Seems very reasonable to me, again the NW section could get quite a bit more depending on the track of Tuesday's system, otherwise for showers it looks a pretty good fit.

14 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

These charts from Dan Holley at Norwich based Weatherquest are now very appropriate for our new Region. Potential snow accumulations to midday Mon, Tues and Weds:

5a932535dd9c3_WeatherquestSnowAccum26Feb2018.thumb.jpg.b08ff5426b9ee98bf1bb52db26a98fba.jpg5a93253e242e0_WeatherquestSnowAccum26-27Feb2018.thumb.jpg.47ed42d7a81a84d7a92bba010481ae3b.jpg5a9325463fe6b_WeatherquestSnowAccum26-28Feb2018.thumb.jpg.cf6de6c7123594d46685138dc2158ddf.jpg

I live in Thurrock which is not shown in the snow accumulations maps as I got three short light to moderate snow showers this morning as well as spells of sunshine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
18 minutes ago, Uxbridge90 said:

Recon we'll do well out of it in Uxbridge? 

Yep-i do tbf.

Although tomorrow/wed...look even better!!!

• Like 1

Posted

Light snow on and off for the past hour or here, nothing major and not settling yet just a lot of swirling in the breeze. Radar looks good out to the NE maybe things could get going this afternoon as per the MO warnings