Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Captain Shortwave

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

There has been a lot of snow melt here overnight - sublimation I guess - and now what's left is a patch mess with no depth to it at all. I'm assuming we've done towards the bottom end of snow depths here, pretty feeble all in all. Typical that a nice easterly sets in and the SW do better than east Anglia! Let's see what this afternoon brings. Not hopeful of too much going by forecasts, but one last hurrah then winter can get on its bike.

• Like 1

Very windy night but temperatures only dropped to -1.8c, tropical!

Today's looking like our last chance for a bit of snow, should push through 2 pm onwards and into the rush hour - although it looks less organised and intense as forecasted earlier in the week, shouldn't cause too many problems but if you're commuting it's worth keeping an eye on.

Been an interesting few days, wind chill and coldness has been remarkable, but other than that it's just felt like a normal cold snap - certainly nothing special in terms of snow, received more in December!

Moving forward it looks rather gloomy - the price to pay for a cold snap late in the game!

MetOffice long range forecast goes for more Spring like conditions towards the end of the month.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lassie23 said:

Well we are moving into a period of low solar activity and if more SSW's occur in the right place, then we will get the same. A new ice age cometh, you heard it here third, james madden, joe bastardi beat me to it:rofl: The army have been helping dropping supplies to people, do they drop bounties, i'm getting bounty withdrawal symptoms and the shakes, might have to call dial a bounty

You could call Bounty-n rescue.I've heard they were working hard yesterday.

It was really windy last night and i thought there was lightning too, cold and a bit misty this morning earlier and now becoming more overcast, still bitterly cold and it looks like the snow cover is now icy.

My local met office forecast is showing light snow all day from 9, heavy snow for a time this evening.

• Like 1

Uppers are now marginal and some high res models have them plus zero for this morning across the southern half of the region . take care if you have any precip falling this morning which is clearly not snow - could be freezing rain/drizzle which will produce a thin layer of ice on contact with surfaces.  They drop again this afternoon when light snowfall is forecast.

• Thanks 1

Now the fat lady is clearing her throat, we just have to hope the aftermath doesn't leave us in no man's land for the whole of March.

Presumably it'll take a while for a more familiar Spring pattern to assert itself. Not a fan of 5 to 7 degrees max temps as the missus will expect me to be out in the garden soon!

Meto seem to be convinced the main belt of snow won't get much further north than London but BBC and GFS say it pushing well into EA.... we'lll just have to see. GFS say 3-4cm possible though so there has to be a little bit of hope... all about how far that front pushes North.

Overall been a great week of deep cold. Am I looking forward to spring now though? You bet!!! lol 

• Like 3

Last day of this current cold spell and a band of light to moderate snowfall is set to cross our Region with up to 2 - 3cm expected in the east and 5 - 7cm in the west. Here's the HIRLAM sequence from 13.00 today through to 07.00 Saturday morning.

tempresult_gii4.gif

By lunchtime Saturday the temperature has finally risen above freezing for all of us. The Beast has left the building!

5a990e5515951_HirlamTempSat03Mar.thumb.png.db64ab478ad77aa4da6980c33d56ab1f.png

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Last day of this current cold spell and a band of light to moderate snowfall is set to cross our Region with up to 2 - 3cm expected in the east and 5 - 7cm in the west. Here's the HIRLAM sequence from 13.00 today through to 07.00 Saturday morning.

tempresult_gii4.gif

By lunchtime Saturday the temperature has finally risen above freezing for all of us. The Beast has left the building!

5a990e5515951_HirlamTempSat03Mar.thumb.png.db64ab478ad77aa4da6980c33d56ab1f.png

And I'm changing the locks on the doors! :rofl:

Hello. First time in 24 hours that I've looked out of the window and it's not snowing. Still enjoying my 1cm of snow. Looking forward to this afternoon, perhaps the powers that be will let us home early.

Snow starting to gather in the channel/North Sea expect that to start curving WNW into our region and to intensify as the day goes on 

We have light PPN here now, but as BA alluded to above it's falling as a mix of snow/sleet/freezing rain.

Pleased to see the Euro 4 has finally agreed with the other models and moves the band of snow further N.

18030221_0200.gif

Tricky part of the forecast is the front will become very slow moving across the N of this region with the band of snow slowly weakening. How heavy will the snow will be and how far N will the front get before becoming almost stationary is impossible to tell.

• Like 2

Just a few photos I’ve nicked from the Scotland thread. Sort of puts our snow into perspective 😮😮

1C4C5D55-6FAD-4B24-8A28-9EDF99D437B0.jpeg

A6C859F2-B742-466F-88D2-D680ACF9C5B4.jpeg

0A022908-68C2-4F4A-B170-EFCD9D5A1E30.jpeg

91391130-6076-4525-98C2-53FFC18BDA55.png

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, TEITS said:

Pleased to see the Euro 4 has finally agreed with the other models and moves the band of snow further N.

18030221_0200.gif

Tricky part of the forecast is the front will become very slow moving across the N of this region with the band of snow slowly weakening. How heavy will the snow will be and how far N will the front get before becoming almost stationary is impossible to tell.

Roughly, how much snow (cm) could you get from 2-3mm of precipitation? Thanks in advance!

You generally multiply by 10 - so 2/3mm could translate roughly as 2/3cm of snow. 

5 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

You generally multiply by 10 - so 2/3mm could translate roughly as 2/3cm of snow. 

Thank you :)

Morning peeps...

There was a MetO (?) person on LBC, a while back, saying that next week will be dominated by freezing-fog and ice...lo and behold, I can't find any suggestion of this scenario on here. Though, with about 100 posts being made each minute, it's a wonder I can find anything at all!:D

well light ppn here, blowing around, its really trying to do something, even though ive not had significant snow, ive still a very good covering, nothings melted, roads,garden etc still has a thick covering, ive have enjoyed the ride, better then the roller coaster of previous yrs,  the ups and the downs we have endured on here , its nice to know other people are enduring the same thing, if you get what i mean :), still we have today, to see what happens, plus dont forget we have still had great snow cover in April before, thats why i could never live anywhere else, our weather, is full of surprises :shok:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Morning peeps...

There was a MetO (?) person on LBC, a while back, saying that next week will be dominated by freezing-fog and ice...lo and behold, I can't find any suggestion of this scenario on here. Though, with about 100 posts being made each minute, it's a wonder I can find anything at all!:D

sorry just added another one to the collection :rofl:

• Like 1