Sign in to follow this  
Captain Shortwave

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

Is  it  me or is the incoming storm more north looking at the radar

I now have snow drifts up my end,  i have a whole 2 inches:shok:

5 minutes ago, tinybill said:

Possibly a smidge further north. One thing i've noticed is that since the snow stopped here in Ipswich the temp has risen from -3.5 to -1.6, still cold, still below freezig but a rise of +2c nonetheless.

Afternoon all :)

Calm, quiet and cold would sum up East Ham this lunchtime - went out briefly an hour or so ago, the air remains chilled and -3c feels generous. A second ice day here and will we get a third tomorrow ?

Some disappearance of lying snow - evaporation I would assume ? Warmer buildings allowing some snow melt on roofs but a site more akin to mid December than the first day of March.

As we don't have children, I'm not getting involved in the "should schools be open ?" debate. I normally work in Guildford but my Manager has written off the rest of the week and I'm working at home today and tomorrow. To be fair, I got home from Guildford last night without too much trouble. Both South Western Railway and the Underground were working well despite the conditions and some of the pavements in my area had been gritted.

2 minutes ago, pinball wizard said:

Possibly a smidge further north. One thing i've noticed is that since the snow stopped here in Ipswich the temp has risen from -3.5 to -1.6, still cold, still below freezig but a rise of +2c nonetheless.

Uppers are rising markedly through the day 

29 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

I’m all for a snow day with the kids I really am it’s just that parents seem to live next to the school and then drive them in lol ...

I agree with that. People don't walk enough these days.

28 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Indeed, JJ - my first full year of school was 1962-63, and not once did I miss school because of snow; otitis media and tonsilitis, aye, snow, no!

How times have changed!:D

was the winter of 62-63 caused by a rogue filament from the moon or was it caused by an eruption from Uranus?:unsure2:

45 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

Why do they shut schools fgs ! We already have a breed of snowflake children ( so the government say ) we played in the snow ,Walked to school ... teachers even walked in ! Only time we was sent home is if the heating went down :nonono: ... 

Because Injury lawyers 4 u or some such similar scab will be more than happy to squeeze the school for a good few k when little Johnny slips and grazes his knee due to snow, such a pathetic society we now live in in that respect.  Sad times - we used to have fun at school in the snow and a fall was part and parcel of it and learning how the world works.

4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Still -2 here.

I've been on the Homepage again: strong east wind is true, temp up to -1C looks about right; heavy snow, however, is conspicuous by its absence!:cray:

I’ve just had to abandon my car.  Snow drifts ridiculous and it’s down to one track. Lorry came the other way and one of us had to give ground.  Car now stuck fast and I’ve had to walk 2 miles home.

Also have light snow falling here again. 

It's just cloudy here. Parts of Ireland are getting hammered by snow now. I can't tell lie, i'm jealous.

Schools generally close because unlike “the good old days” most kids don’t live local to their school, likewise teachers.

police and councils don’t generally want cars full of kids slipping and sliding around the roads when everyone else is around

27 minutes ago, James1979 said:

Because Injury lawyers 4 u or some such similar scab will be more than happy to squeeze the school for a good few k when little Johnny slips and grazes his knee due to snow, such a pathetic society we now live in in that respect.  Sad times - we used to have fun at school in the snow and a fall was part and parcel of it and learning how the world works.

go to visit injury lawyers 4 u website:whistling:

41 minutes ago, tinybill said:

It's in line with what the HIRLAM has projected, mainly a SW event and will struggle to get over our way unfortunately. 

A couple of pics from the roads around Coggeshall, Feering and Tiptree to Colchester. Becoming impassable in places with the drifting and the blowing across the roads.

99D6BD84-E700-4D82-BE9D-465A656C1307.jpeg

7B011691-7055-4DBD-91BA-810C8A5D929F.jpeg

4BE9997D-0C1A-46DA-BD3A-33959B3AC798.jpeg

Looks like tomorrow evening/night is our last chance of any snowfall across the region.

I was very disappointed with this beast from the east on Mon/Tues, but boy yesterday changed my opinion completely. Almost heavy snow showers nonstop all day, leaving around 6-8 inches by sunset. 

This morning's snow was also a nice little surprise, and to have daytime temps of max -3 for two consecutive is amazing at any time, especially at this stage of winter.

And to top it all off today's snow drifts are a thing of beauty.

10/10 for me this cold spell. 

Snowing again here and wondering if we'll manage to stay on the edge for a while. It's quite fine snow, but coming down well!

Here in Bedford I think we will be right on the edge of that clump coming up from the south. Could be interesting few hours here late afternoon. 

Let’s see if we can get an eastwards correction for that band of snow. You never know.

52 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

What's in store for us for the few days, Blue, anything worth worrying about?

Getting mixed messages from the mad thread.

My u18 have a game on Sunday, just a guess, but don't think we'll be playing.

Edited by Bogman

1 minute ago, snowwonder said:

Here in Bedford I think we will be right on the edge of that clump coming up from the south. Could be interesting few hours here late afternoon. 

my daughter is home from school now so let it snow i say.