Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Captain Shortwave

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

At work East London, winds very strong, snow getting heavier here...has been snowing in London since 7am, light but now getting heavier. Chris Fawkes twitter call of disruptive snow in London fom Mid morning could be right.

EDIT: Really ramping up now!

Edited by FiftyShadesofSnow

29 minutes ago, Blazerblue said:

Mines a 32 mile round trip, so very glad it’s closed, A12 drifted snow in places on my route, so wouldn’t bother even if they said it was open :nonono: 

She didnt go yesterday as couldnt get out of street but now snowing heavy..kce everywhere and radar saying strong ppn

Seems that's the main snow for this region is so very much tomorrow? Today's just  nice addition.,

West London seems to be running fine, Schools open, roads busy! Horrendously cold on the walk into work, not that much snow though - still less than December, perhaps a couple CM's - surprising considering it seems to have snowed all of last night!

HIRLAM keeps that light snow in our region into the early afternoon but looks quite weak and very much a SW event - think we can one last bite at the cherry tomorrow and then we move towards less cold temperatures.

In terms of cold and radar watching it's been fantastic, not so much for snow accumulations. 

Unless the radar wrong  there looks like some heavy  snow/blizzards  inbound  for  south east

• Like 1

No snow today but most of the roads are closed due to drifting. Couple of foot of snow around my house, tried clearing to get car ready for when roads open but given up now. Having wanted the snow....Not so sure now!

• Like 2

Sort of small-to-medium grain-type snow here in Leigh-on-Sea at the moment ; kinda snowing, kinda wind-drifting, maybe 3/10 in intensity. Given we're not forecast much today I'll take whatever we can get! Still a good snow base on the ground as well.

Morning, 

Am new here, so thought I would say Hi!

Very light snow in Peterborough, but can see more moving north towards us from the South.  Not that windy, but bitterly cold!

• Like 2

Getting heavier here now hopeful of a few more cm’s this morning. Lovely stuff! 

30 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Just light snow all morning so far, radar is proving useless at the moment as it was snowing even the radar was showing nothing.

I'm guessing that's because the snow blows far more readily than rain, so can hit the ground at a different location from where it starts falling from.

Maybe,

Has to be said I'm not sure we'll see a warning map like this again for an awfully long time. Let's hope those in the affected areas stay safe.

image.thumb.png.3edb5d3b06694bb1a8774cfbb6b52c4f.png

• Like 5

Far more than I expected, looks like a blizzard for the last hour and getting heavier.

Snow blowing everywhere, not amounting to a lot but looks good.

Radar shows this front getting heavier as it travels over kent.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, On the rocks said:

Morning, 

Am new here, so thought I would say Hi!

Very light snow in Peterborough, but can see more moving north towards us from the South.  Not that windy, but bitterly cold!

Welcome to the mad house :D

7 minutes ago, brenbrenbren said:

Sort of small-to-medium grain-type snow here in Leigh-on-Sea at the moment ; kinda snowing, kinda wind-drifting, maybe 3/10 in intensity. Given we're not forecast much today I'll take whatever we can get! Still a good snow base on the ground as well.

There's still plenty of snow due for Leigh-on-Sea looking at the radar! I reckon pretty much most of South Essex will get some snow fall, with the heaviest/bigger clump being east coast up to suffolk......going by the radar at least!

2 minutes ago, echodelta21 said:

Welcome to the mad house :D

Thank you! have been following for a few days, so thought I may as well join - have a interest in weather through my job.

• Like 1

It's mesmerising watching the wind whip up snow off the roofs to join in the falling snow.
School closed here again, it appears they really debated this as they texted about 9pm last night, they must be glad it was warranted. 

5 minutes ago, Weather Boy said:

I'm guessing that's because the snow blows far more readily than rain, so can hit the ground at a different location from where it starts falling from.

Maybe,

Indeed - radar struggles with snowfall. Light snow doesn't reflect radar beams in the same way rainfall does, hence the lower accuracy. Heavy snowfall is fine, but the light stuff is a different ball game.

Really is a bonus here today, had 2 hours of continuous snowfall, varying in intensity. Not bad at all, with what looks like more swinging up from the SE corner before it dries out later on.

Heavy snow here, a further inch has fallen this morning.

2 minutes ago, moogyboobles said:

It's mesmerising watching the wind whip up snow off the roofs to join in the falling snow.
School closed here again, it appears they really debated this as they texted about 9pm last night, they must be glad it was warranted. 

our sons school sent a text at 6.30 this morning saying it was open . . . then another at 6.55 saying it was closed

i agree about the roofs - coupled with horizontal snow it looks fab :)

• Like 1

Just woke up to find it snowing! Snow is getting heavier now!

3 minutes ago, On the rocks said:

Thank you! have been following for a few days, so thought I may as well join - have a interest in weather through my job.

You're welcome :)

No such lofty ambitions here.....I just love snow, and like to know how bad a day at work I'm going to have in advance....today is not looking great at the moment :D

It's an evil situation....love the snow, but not too keen on driving trains in blizzards. I dodged a bullet yesterday with failures all around me...might not be so lucky today :rofl:

• Thanks 1

I go to the effort of getting my wheely bin and recycling down the front of my house and the local council can't be bothered to collect it. 

Actually falling quite steadily here now with the roads gaining coverage. Perhaps a net cm or so addition if it continues for another 20 minutes like this, but hard to tell with the wind blowing everything around.