Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Captain Shortwave

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

Just started snowing again here....this is turning into a really notable spell and now pushing 2010 as an overall event.  Maybe more to come tomorrow as well!  

• Like 2

The radar is just loaded with snow for all of us tonight, and how nice is it to not worry about "marginality" for once!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nath said:

The radar is just loaded with snow for all of us tonight, and how nice is it to not worry about "marginality" for once!!!

Everyone ??? 

Herts , Beds & Bucks. 

• Like 2

What I don't get is how it can still be uncertain on where this low is going within a 24hr window.

2 minutes ago, shotski said:

Everyone ??? 

Herts , Beds & Bucks. 

Oh hopefully it will reach you, im sorry I forgot the new regional areas this used to be london  thread :( 

• Like 1

been reading the kent thread  reg emma the bbc  could be wong and it could  be going more north

A really extraordinary day of weather - first emergency snow closure I've had as a NQT teacher in London (sent home at 12:30) and frequent heavy snow showers on and off from around 11am adding to the 3-cm that fell overnight my Year 3's loved it though! :)  About 4 inches currently here in North London and still moderate-heavy snow still falling - really think the intensity & longevity of these showers have caught the Met Office off guard hence the updated yellow warning. Think most of us in London at least will get a further 2-3cm from these into the early hours then tomorrow is all to play for really - as others and the BBC's Chris Fawkes has mentioned if that low tracks further east and north we could see a further dumping of 10-15cm quite widely across Greater London and the SE and even if it follows the forecast track a further 5-10cm is possible - always more the further south and west you are in the region. It'll be an ever changing situation and nowcast scenario for sure best bet to look out the window and check the radar really. 

Pic below is North Finchley in this mornings blizzard brrr! :cold:

image.thumb.png.df90922d855465e38cde96d28d86355a.png

• Like 1

snow depth of 2.5cm fell from thst band over night at around 4-530 am 

heaviest I've seen for ages 

then we had an hour heavy shower at around midday which left 2 cms 

and since then a few moderate showers 

snow depth so far 4cms as had slight melt early 

I think there seems to be serious uncertainty on how the next few days are being handled, the fact the ECM goes off on a competely different route at just three days outs says it all. It could be that the model has thrown a rogue run but as the winds continue to blow north of east then it does feel like things are not going as predicted. 

• Like 2

I’ve lived down here for over thirty years and can’t  ever recall central London having more snow than south herts (apart from the odd half cm overnight incident )

1 minute ago, Captain Shortwave said:

I think there seems to be serious uncertainty on how the next few days are being handled, the fact the ECM goes off on a competely different route at just three days outs says it all. It could be that the model has thrown a rogue run but as the winds continue to blow north of east then it does feel like things are not going as predicted. 

Is the wind expected to turn more easterly tonight captain ?

3 Counties need a piece of the action. 

1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

I’ve lived down here for over thirty years and can’t  ever recall central London having more snow than south herts (apart from the odd half cm overnight incident )

2010 they did well. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

No doubt about it Captain, the depth and severity of the cold pool over the UK is causing a lot of uncertainty and I think there could be some major changes at 24 hours notice.  Whether it's good or bad for us remains to be seen though.  

Just now, Downpour said:

Lorente hat-trick pitch now covered in snow

Abandon the match!! :rofl:

3 minutes ago, shotski said:

Is the wind expected to turn more easterly tonight captain ?

3 Counties need a piece of the action. 

It should continue to hold in an ESE direction and becoming fresh to strong with gusts of 40-45mph on exposed coasts (If it even veers that way to begin with of course)

Shower activity I suspect will continue albeit probably lighter but given 850s remain exceptional then there is enough there to continue to create showers for some areas.

Edited by Captain Shortwave

1 minute ago, shotski said:

2010 they did well. 

But wasn’t as much as just north of Greater London 

the steamer back then (could have been another year was Into se London rather than central)

3 minutes ago, Downpour said:

Absolutely billying it down at Wembley for the Spurs match on BT Sport

Fingers crossed games abandoned and Spurs lose on snowballs thrown

fantastic walk out and about tonight.

Totally eerie over the snowfields and a cold - combined with the windchill - like I have barely ever felt.

For the last 200yds I felt the urge to experience it without my hat and gloves. The windchill on your face and head was extreme. An easterly gale blowing falling snow into your face. Pretty rare for this country and the combination of snow and cold for this area easily exceeds 2010 (which was pretty snowless here).

Extraordinary - have tried to make the most of it tonight - may not get this again within 10 years.

It's good to be back in the electric blanket again now though!

Edited by BurwellWeatherWatch
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mishy said:

Abandon the match!! :rofl:

The commentators are suggesting that Rochdale should keep pointing out the pitch condition to the ref! 

Light to moderate snow at the moment that is really being blown around. 

Feels very bitter in the gusts! 

1 minute ago, FiftyShadesofSnow said:

Fingers crossed games abandoned and Spurs lose on snowballs thrown

As a spurs fan with the snow somehow avoiding me in Reigate I would not be amused

5-1 and Rochdale’s only option is to down tools and call for an abandonment!!

• Thanks 1

Gosh its really coming down at Wembley , as it is here lol 👌

• Thanks 1