Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Captain Shortwave

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

1 minute ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

I find this very interesting - large gap in the flow over Norfolk! 

Capture.JPG

Looks as if the snow is being sucked down the English channel 

A little stream heading straight for Harrow - might add half a cm or so. No expecting more than a cm or two this evening. 

Think most of us will be to far east tomorrow for anything notable (i.e. more than a couple of cms), although happy to be surprised!

3 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Crazy scenes in the heart of London everywhere with a good covering! I managed to find drifts over 20cm deep, monstrous icicles, this is turning into something I’ll never forget. 

You deserve it! I've been following your updates on Twitter and you've done a great job. Nice one.

4 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

Capture.JPG

looking at the radar animation. it is very bizarre.. 

8 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

Capture.JPG

Is the radar broken in the North East of our region?

3 minutes ago, Norfolk_N_chance said:

Station road blocking up after tractor with plough just passed through 

Screenshot_20180228-192950.png

Lots of drifting on the back roads now the wind has picked up. Nice photo. good to family having fun. 

17 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

I just wish people would stop fly tipping old rugs in my fields.....:nonono::rofl:

Dogs9g.jpg

I’ve had one of those too. 

02F74290-65BB-4621-A543-7CDD54A01E32.jpeg

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Norfolk_N_chance said:

Is the radar broken in the North East of our region?

Seems odd! Noticed it earlier here on the coast as it was chucking it down with snow yet there was nothing showing on radar

My short video of the drifting snow on the outskirts of Helpston (near Peterborough). Sorry for the grainy quality!...Get it?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Something to note is the wind direction is still steering showers just north of east. The GFS this morning had the winds already going well SE/SSE by this point. Hard to say if it means anything at all BUT if it carries on then that may suggest the low is evolving in a different way to what the GFS was expecting which *may* be good news for us, but hard to say without look at pressure obs from France...

12 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Really interesting as that is very similar to something I just noted,the steering currents are more ENE than the models were expecting at this time, suggesting the low maybe evolving slightly differently than planned at this stage.

Pray HIRLAM is right, 17cms here!

Two posts from Kold Weather that may be of interest to us in here. The second post is a reply to Chris Fawkes' tweet being posted. 

• Like 2

heavy snow here again! My what a great evening this has turned into

Going out again soon to the park!

• Like 4

What an amazing day today, cant remember a day like it absolutley freezing with snow shower after snow shower leaving 4-6 inches! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Nath said:

What an amazing day today, cant remember a day like it absolutley freezing with snow shower after snow shower leaving 4-6 inches! 

I'm with you mate! :)

This is probably my favourite snow day I have experienced thus far, including the infamous 18th December 2010 day which bought 10inches to my area. I have never felt it so biting cold! :cold:

The difference with this day (For my area) is that the cold and snow is just kept on going and going! :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can't believe how bad the snow drifting is here.  I just got stuck on the Village main road.(On the way back from hospital). I managed to dig myself out though. Lots of roads near impassable and not because of snow falling now. Just the drifting.

• Like 2

It's great to read these excited reports from people that are having the time of their life - very happy for you all (and myself, mind...)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Can't believe how bad the snow drifting is here.  I just got stuck on the Village main road.(On the way back from hospital). I managed to dig myself out though. Lots of roads near impassable and not because of snow falling now. Just the drifting.

I haven't been outside and dont think i will untill it thaws, it looks bad on the roads and pavements out there.

• Like 1

Very little in the way of snow since lunchtime...But, given what's still falling in the London Area, all may not be lost...Enough new snow to offset sublimation would be fine...:cold:

• Like 2

Just got home to Feltham in West London from the capital and am astonished by the difference, hardly any snow here and central London was buried. Amazing difference for such a short distance.

On 27/02/2018 at 16:46, snow raven said:

Ps - am on the train home from London and pleasantly surprised at the snow laying from the showers today.  Around 1cm (which I know isn't great) but it's still nice to see and makes me feel less 'lef

3 minutes ago, brenbrenbren said:

It's great to read these excited reports from people that are having the time of their life - very happy for you all (and myself, mind...)

Im 48 and the missus is 42, I met her from work at Liverpool St London, and we walked home (7 miles) in the freezing weather and snow . We were like 2 kids enjoying it lol  

• Like 4