Sign in to follow this  
Captain Shortwave

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

The shower broke up.. That seems to be it for today. It will be interesting to see how low the temperature gets here overnight.

8 minutes ago, FiftyShadesofSnow said:

Wonder who wins the snow sweet spot in this thread come Fri night...my guess would be Lowestoft...

For this thread, I'd expect areas up near King's Lynn might have done better than us...?

Anywho, Monday's temperature-predictions are a tad concerning; they're going up and down faster than Katie Price's draws!:shok:

6 minutes ago, Bricriu said:

The shower broke up.. That seems to be it for today. It will be interesting to see how low the temperature gets here overnight.

I doubt very much that that is the end of the ppn for today. The North Sea is still being very productive, with a good stream of shower activity (albeit lighter) heading towards NW London. Still more top-up's to come.

EDIT: Lovely pictures Moogyboobles!

Edited by Sno' problem

55 minutes ago, Norfolk_N_chance said:

I don't understand why there are lots of showers to the North and South but next to none over Norfolk? Are we likely to get more showers later?

It's like there's a massive shield diverting the showers and leaving us in the sun

Brancaster and best sledge ever ; )

20180226_160002.jpg

20180228_154115.jpg

20180228_152949.jpg

20180228_153123.jpg

20180228_153032.jpg

20180228_152926.jpg

An extraordinary day less perhaps for the snow but for the temperature.

It never got above -2.8c here in lowland East London and there's still a bitter wind blowing if you do catch it.

I make that the coldest day for a good number of years (certainly since 2013 if not well before) and for that coldest day to happen on the last day of February rather than say late December or early January makes it doubly remarkable.

Had this synoptic set up occurred on December 28th rather than January 28th we'd probably not have got the volume of snow but the temperatures would have been incredibly low and it makes you wonder if some of the brutal frosts of olden times came out of synoptics such as those we are experiencing.

2 minutes ago, moogyboobles said:

Had a little walk by the Crouch about 7.30 am.

Wind picking up here now and the odd flurry now and then. Almost went for sledge up the hill but the wind chill put me off and a cup of tea won me over.
Nothing can be built from this quiet powdery snow. The lack of underfoot crunch was novel!

snow swf-1.jpg

snow swf-2.jpg

snow swf-3.jpg

snow swf-4.jpg

snow swf-5.jpg

snow swf-6.jpg

snow swf-7.jpg

snow swf-8.jpg

Lovely pictures. Thanks for sharing them.

Hey @Sno' problem, another entertaining day so far! Any thoughts on what we could expect going into tomorrow and Friday? 

9 minutes ago, Sno' problem said:

I doubt very much that that is the end of the ppn for today. The North Sea is still being very productive, with a good stream of shower activity (albeit lighter) heading towards NW London. Still more top-up's to come.

EDIT: Lovely pictures Moogyboobles!

Well it looks like you are right-  light snow here at the moment.:)

Hello all!

OK. I'm real sorry but I'm about to RAMP hard! :)

The "Beast from the East" has truly and fully awakened in Central London!

2nd February 2009, 18th December 2010, 25th January 2013 and now adding 28th February 2018 to the list of best snowfall days Central London has gotten (In my lifetime!) :D

Went out and enjoyed the snowfall in Regents Park, snow as the eye could see with blue sky and the sun shining down....

DSC_0985.thumb.JPG.aaaaea20b8afe695f3d489494ec9b9d7.JPG

DSC_0988.thumb.JPG.b7abbcad7b2a7fb6588f6d1be1cbec44.JPG

DSC_0991.thumb.JPG.70daf1d14abd2f77ee8a5047b80a00fa.JPG

DSC_1005.thumb.JPG.9b8207b0f283bb2d4f6b6b856935033b.JPG

:yahoo::D:cold:

The pond froze over....for Central London, that is mightly impressive!!!! :shok:

DSC_1010.thumb.JPG.97a8a00f95170e647a59ab9bfe4cda85.JPG

DSC_1072.thumb.JPG.b0f0d45c2c2ae2c7f3ffd9d32b82866c.JPG

And then....snowmageddon occurred giving heavy snowfall, a -15c windchill with snow blowing right into my face!!! Blizzard, whiteout conditions! :shok::shok::cold::cold:

It was EPIC!!!!!!! :D

DSC_1093.thumb.JPG.e33b4cc838c54fa9fc58b3c080118618.JPG

DSC_1096.thumb.JPG.416063811560a01e6dd52a7438cd312c.JPG

DSC_1112.thumb.JPG.58d7b21da38d082f32d98a632aa660a2.JPG

Best snow day I have ever experienced!!! :D:yahoo::cold:

1 minute ago, saint said:

Hey @Sno' problem, another entertaining day so far! Any thoughts on what we could expect going into tomorrow and Friday? 

It's been great hasn't it?

As far as the next couple of days go, I think that we will still see a fair amount of shower activity coming off the North Sea overnight tonight, but the current track of Storm Emma seems to be going slightly too far West for us to be getting too much ppn from it on Thursday into Friday. The further West you are, the more likely you will see heavier snow, but things can and will change. It is very hard to forecast the track of storms, so it will be a case of nowcasting.

Beyond that, the temps look like they will rise from Saturday onwards, so the ppn could easily turn to rain, especially on the Southern edge. 

Thank you @Bricriu and @Sno' problem it's been so long I've seen ice on the Crouch.
It's a shame I didn't quite get myself together and out the door fast enough to catch the heavier snowfall. But then it's a miracle I was out, snow is one of the few things that will get me up early!

Wind is really drifting the snow off the fields, some of the local single track roads running North to South are now impassable.

Drifting could be the real issue overnight for some of the villages.

Just now, Shutterbug Netty said:

Super heavy snow here again, covering the bits that had melted within minutes!!

tracking that shower, hoping it is coming my way

Just to continue on from my last post.....

Easily (In all from the snow last night and midday today,) got about 3-6inches of snow!! :yahoo:

DSC_1155.thumb.JPG.3cb464de8b8b353c5d35597af43520ad.JPG

My hometown of Camden Town looking like Siberia.... :cold::D

DSC_1145.thumb.JPG.6a8c7694d9502286113fd63d0651965e.JPG

DSC_1146.thumb.JPG.6b456ec5d18eb85759e1228bff93fc03.JPG

DSC_1147.thumb.JPG.75482c77446ace628dec181b459765c6.JPG

More pics of the whiteout blizzard!!! :cold::cold::cold:

DSC_1140.thumb.JPG.5d92dc6d07f0b0511399a343b67b4004.JPG

DSC_1141.thumb.JPG.00f9174db6de1e9dc4d962b263e7f8a6.JPG

DSC_1142.thumb.JPG.f2a623ea2e2f569ab4a9300c6717abf5.JPG

Just popped into the South West thread and it seems the Hirlam has everything for tomorrow shifted a bit further east. 

6 minutes ago, Shutterbug Netty said:

Super heavy snow here again, covering the bits that had melted within minutes!!

Another one just starting. Heading your way.

Edited by snowblind

2 minutes ago, saint said:

Just popped into the South West thread and it seems the Hirlam has everything for tomorrow shifted a bit further east. 

Hirlam seems to be fairly accurate from what i've heard. Please let this shift more east!

1 minute ago, snowblind said:

Another one just starting. Heading your way.

Fabulous!  I wasn't expecting the showers to go on so long today!

just looking out it seems to have clouded right over again, and the radar seems to have some more organised showers blowing in.

After last night's last minute warning when we weren't forecast that much of note, and then quite a big fall during the early hours,  I must say I'm keeping a very open mind about the next few days, just a minor correction and we could end up with an awful lot of snow.

3 minutes ago, saint said:

They're not wrong...

hirlam-1-24-0_tzu2.png

Southern parts of East Angelia and most of London are in for a dumping, potentially that is. :)

The Mett Office does have London/Home Counties and parts of East Angelia under a Yellow warning for tomorrow and Friday aswell