Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?
Captain Shortwave

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

That's all folks...with snow still whizzing past the windows, I'm off to listen to Nick Abbot. And, hopefully, it'll still be freezing tomorrow morning!:ninja:

Night all.:drunk-emoji:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

That's all folks...with snow still whizzing past the windows, I'm off to listen to Nick Abbot. And, hopefully, it'll still be freezing tomorrow morning!:ninja:

Night all.:drunk-emoji:

I'm still astonished that you've had non stop snow for at least two hours and all I've had is about 0.025cm, if that. The radar is a funny old thing, wonder why it does snow so badly but has absolutely no problem with rain! 

19 minutes ago, shotski said:

Think that’s me done with the mad thread until next November, TBH summer sun is doing my head in so best to go into hibernation on that front

is he still looking for the first 20c of the season lol

Either it's me or its looking misty now...Temp rise

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The radar has been utterly utterly useless the last few days, tonight we're under a bright blob of green but not 1 flake of snow (or drop of rain for that matter) I really do wonder at the coverage of radar, if some areas have lower resolution or are interpolated from other radar returns rather than from live data?

Edited by Richard Waugh
  • Like 1

Been snowing for 9 hours looks amazing outside with the wind blowing and still coming down!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 80sWeather said:

Been snowing for 9 hours looks amazing outside with the wind blowing and still coming down!

Yep and a nice wet mess when it melts. 

2 minutes ago, Jason T said:

Either it's me or its looking misty now...Temp rise

You're right! Could be foggy in the morning! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

I'm still astonished that you've had non stop snow for at least two hours and all I've had is about 0.025cm, if that. The radar is a funny old thing, wonder why it does snow so badly but has absolutely no problem with rain! 

I'm not, think you are west rather than south west aren't you (of Norwich that is)? Anyway, radar has been spot on, been snowing here since around 5pm, very fine powdery snow and blowing all over the shop, easily another inch of snow - approx 15 mins due south of you.

Edited by ribster

3 minutes ago, ribster said:

I'm not, think you are west rather than south west aren't you (of Norwich that is)? Anyway, radar has been spot on, been snowing here since around 5pm, very fine powdery snow and blowing all over the shop, easily another inch of snow - approx 15 mins due south of you.

More west yes, but not enough to make a huge difference surely?

Oh well, time to head back to the mad thread. Reckon we can squeeze one more cold snap out of this winter. 

2 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

More west yes, but not enough to make a huge difference surely?

You're no more West than me, could draw a straight line practically, you're just further north. All I know is it's been coming down steadily for nigh on 5 hours. There had been a bit of a thaw, but all the gaps have been filled in and topped up. In the short term it will definitely add to the drifting problems...

Posted (edited)

For those in the north of the region.

tempresult_zfn6.gif

Light snow lasting into the early hours before clearing to the north so perhaps a couple more centimetres could be possible before the innevitable return to something less cold. The risk of a few showers elsewhere as these drift up from the English channel in association with a shallow low centred over the south west of England.

Tomorrow will be fairly dry during daylight hours with a bit of rain or sleet dotted around, temperatures probably around the 2-4C mark though perhaps the snow could keep the temperatures a bit lower.

hirlamuk-41-20-0.png?02-22

GIven the lack of sunshine I think Sunday will be the day the thaw really sets in with temperatures predicted to get close to 10C. Still this has been a fantastic spell of weather to experience. We might be waiting quite a while for something like this again, especially the level of cold at least.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 3

Lovely fresh snow in Helpston (near Peterborough) and still coming down. Shame it will all be gone by the time I eat my Sunday roast :(

20180302_214330.jpg

• Like 1

Probably time to call it a night now, there has been around seven hours of persistent snow so far and there are some brighter echoes drifting north towards the city at the moment. A good couple of inches of snow on the ground now so a good effort.

• Like 1

Well...Very unexpected,  Proven to show no matter what technology we have, Nature will always win. So impressive. Thankyou Mother... 

DSC_0378.JPG

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sweetdream said:

Yep and a nice wet mess when it melts. 

i'm already starting to drip here:nonono:

Still coming down thick and fast in Norwich. Madness. Still got a foot on the ground from the other night. At least the wind has eased.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yep, Change to warmer climate already kicking in...However for how long...Signals mixed..possible cold still in place. Not many easterly walk away on a whimb..

Edited by Jason T
  • Like 1

2 days ago next week was predicted easterly, max 5, possible snow showers etc but massive downgrades across the board.

I'm calling it winter is over

Melt down on the model thread

Toys thrown out of the pram

Clock is ticking

Fat lady has cleared her throat

See you all next December

Any other ;)

• Thanks 1

Real chrimbo pic outside... Almost makes you want to put Dec's up, What a Christmas day.... Oh well. 

6 minutes ago, Jason T said:

Real chrimbo pic outside... Almost makes you want to put Dec's up, What a Christmas day.... Oh well. 

'More likely to get snow at Easter than Christmas' ??

Very unexpected and welcome end to a truly memorable cold spell.  I'm a teacher and have had three snow days in a row this week.  I've been teaching for 13 years and that has never happened before.  

For me, living in North Essex and working in rural Suffolk, this spell has had it all: bitter easterlies; heavy, drifting snow (as tall as a car on a lane near my house!); red Met Office warnings (even if not for here); nationwide panic, media hysteria...and those three days off to make some brilliant memories with my wife and children.

I only ever come on these forums to lurk on the model thread from about mid November onwards and hardly ever post...but something about this particular spell has brought me out into the open.  I have spent a long time trying to get to grips with the model output and am slowly getting there...!  

Anyway, enjoy whatever snow you have and see you all next winter!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1