Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?
Captain Shortwave

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

The sheer persistence of this should result in a good couple of inches of snow here so that is a result. The temperature has been slowly falling back here from just below freezing to -3C at the moment. Hopefully I should be able to get some good pictures of this in the morning before the thaw begins.

This powdery stuff is great for skiing, trouble is the terrain is the exact opposite, especially the Fens.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Captain Shortwave said:

The sheer persistence of this should result in a good couple of inches of snow here so that is a result. The temperature has been slowly falling back here from just below freezing to -3C at the moment. Hopefully I should be able to get some good pictures of this in the morning before the thaw begins.

This powdery stuff is great for skiing, trouble is the terrain is the exact opposite, especially the Fens.

always a few tractors to get behind, get the ropes out

2 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Chateris to March road was pretty hairy today

Lol..still going although I could probably count the fall of each flake..Good call Saint for 9.00 pm 

• Like 1

Expecting the snow to stop here soon bit of a shame but still have managed a good 3 inches 

:(

Sounds greedy and selfish... Would just love one last fall of all all mighty.. Epic day

• Thanks 1

Wow what an encore that was, 3” put done in 5 hours! shame it will be all gone tomorrow but I’m rating the cold spell 9/10! See you all next winter! 

• Like 2

Did pretty well here in north Suffolk, 9" + another 2" just fallen, drifting snow feet deep, roads blocked, great stuff. Its been 30 years since the last time this happened here, missed out 2010, 2013 etc. Got there in the end..

• Like 1

Just looked out and its still going, look forward to seeing how deep it is again in the morning.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Nimbusman said:

Wow what an encore that was, 3” put done in 5 hours! shame it will be all gone tomorrow but I’m rating the cold spell 9/10! See you all next winter! 

2 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

The thaw not very far away now.

An'interesting winter indeed...and coming now to conclusion.

Its been emotional and at times frustrating.

Over and out.

See ya-all november...ish.

😉

pointrosee.png

Indeed! What a spell of wonderful weather. Waited 8 years since 2010 for a good snowy spell. Next winter hopefully more fun and games and now just waiting for the thunderstorm season ;-)

Still some flakes in the wind but wow what a great snowy afternoon/evening. Conditions are very treacherous out, but it looks lovely. 

Guess who was asked to grit the hill into work?! A lovely 45 mins spent doing that! Haha..

• Thanks 1

Just now, JennyJane1 said:

Just looked out and its still going, look forward to seeing how deep it is again in the morning.

Looking at the radar, it is starting to finally fizzle out around the whole region.

I like snow, I really do - but not at this time of year and definitely not including that blimmin' wind! 30yrs wait and it really came close to matching Jan 1987, but not quite! 

A nice final hurrah here tonight - steady snow for a good 6 hours or so has made everything white once more. Probably the most snow that has fallen in one period in this spell. 

Probably the last picture from this year's beast from the east! Still falling lightly ❄❄❄❄☃

1520025812827414432573.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

Still going, it is...It's also settling on my window panes!:yahoo:

• Like 1

more snow to come this month:good:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

more snow to come this month:good:

You know what Lassie, I think you might be right....

• Like 1

Finally stopped.. Booooooo. Coverage a good 4 to 6 inches.. Perfect end.

• Like 1

Still going in Somersham :yahoo:got to be at least 2 inches. Thought the beast had missed our present but just as it leaves it looks back tosses it to us. :drunk-emoji:

Think that’s me done with the mad thread until next November, TBH summer sun is doing my head in so best to go into hibernation on that front

• Like 2

Looks like a little bit more firing up over the Thames? 

1 minute ago, Andy H said:

Looks like a little bit more firing up over the Thames? 

Come Thames..  Go for it

Final tally from this year's beast. Snow just petering out with about 7 level cms, on top of Wednesday's inch. Drifts of 8". 

To recap:

December '17 = 1x 3inch snowfall, 1x 1inch snowfall 

January '18 = 1x 1inch snowfall 

February '18= 1x 1inch snowfall

March '18= 1x 3inch snowfall, 1x 1inch snowfall

After the last three winters I'd have bitten your hand off for that. Can't upload pics sadly (haven't figured out my new phone) but a decent evening!