Local
Radar
Windy?
Captain Shortwave

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

Just now, Lampostwatcher said:

approaching 6cms 

constant moderate snow for the last hour 

then nick Miller just said more snow Saturday and the beast ain't going nowhere fast lol

I think i'm going to faint.:yahoo:

• Like 1

Really interesting to see the drifting of snow even with relatively small amounts, it's blowing all over the place!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Streamer seems to be shifting NW now, snow getting lighter across east London and Essex.

Could someone help me understand why the radar shows that ppn seems to be forming over land and not over the North Sea?

• Like 2

Absolutely F F F F FREEEEEEEEZING outside, That wind omg...

Edited by Jason T
  • Like 1

Just now, danm said:

Streamer seems to be shifting NW now, snow getting lighter across east London and Essex.

Stopping for us now then? Not that we can complain. Loughton is covered with the white stuff

Only very very (almost apologetic) snow in Peterborough 

Hoping I'm not seeing things on the radar as it looks if though the band of showers is building north westwards 

1 minute ago, Staffordshire said:

Could someone help me understand why the radar shows that ppn seems to be forming over land and not over the North Sea?

I think it depends what radar server your'e using, Most are very IMBY...

Right then, that's that for another night. So, with the NW Homepage telling me that it's -5C with heavy snow (the -5C bit is quite believable!) whilst it's been snowless for about three hours, I'll bid y'all goodnight..in the probably vain hope that said homepage will be saying it's dry tomorrow morning!:D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, plumehead said:

Stopping for us now then? Not that we can complain. Loughton is covered with the white stuff

Hard to say for sure, but it does seem to be easing off now. The radar shows the bulk of snow moving W/NW and the eastern end becoming light and patchy. 

Snow for 2 hours now, heavy then light! But still lucky if we have had a cm! But loving the cold, especially the icicles and biting wind, hoping Friday gives us enough to go sledging with the kids 

• Like 3

Why has it been snowing for the past three hours:unsure2: thought emma was due tomorrow:unsure2: great that it is though:good: nice covering here:good:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, plumehead said:

Expect light snow to continue for another couple of hours, then a lul before more potential (heavy?) snow in the morning..

This cold spell has been truly exceptional, never experienced anything like it before, it feels like how I'd imagine Siberia feels most winters.... you have to spare a thought for any homeless people 😱

• Like 2

Could that band of showers continue to push NW towards Peterborough, am I seeing things? Nothing forecast on the MO app?

4 minutes ago, blueballs said:

This cold spell has been truly exceptional, never experienced anything like it before, it feels like how I'd imagine Siberia feels most winters.... you have to spare a thought for any homeless people 😱

so this is what a siberian winter is like.... lucky fluggers

I am really surprised with the snow, in January we had very heavy wet snow that snapped a lot of trees in my area but this time because its so cold the snow is fluffy. The wind picks it up and blows it around. I haven't seen that before. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

so this is what a siberian winter is like.... lucky fluggers

I think I'd be totally flugged off with it after a month, 2 weeks would be enough.... maybe 3 times a year 😉

Looking at the radar there is a dollop of snow extending from the south Essex coast in the region of Malden and had just reached Watford by about 2130, although there had been some previous light falls.

This looks like being persistent - it is not exceptionally heavy, 'cos the vis is a little over half a mile but over a period of a few hours it should build up depth to few centimetres give Watford a more respectable covering.  

Meanwhile the current temp is -5.1C and snow is getting blown about be the wind, so we may end up with some mini drifts. 

I think snow drifts are one of the best aspects, especially when you get powder snow and marvel at the different formations. 

It reminds me of when I was on night duty once when in plod, I took a car out to te villages in the Chilterns. There was an area when the land fell away to the east and the road was exposed from the east building some great little drifts about a foot to 18 inches deep. 

I kept the car going at a steady 40 mph, powering through these drifts - there was no problem with traction with it being dry powder snow. 

I had the sensation similar to that of a destroyer battling through heavy seas which were breaking over the prow - it was exactly like that only the snow was flying over the bonnet of the car.

It were great, I thoroughly enjoyed that - however not thinking of going for a drive tonight - I was much younger then.  

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Andy H said:

Snow for 2 hours now, heavy then light! But still lucky if we have had a cm! But loving the cold, especially the icicles and biting wind, hoping Friday gives us enough to go sledging with the kids 

According to the radar only about 25% of that dollop has passed over so far, so I would guestimate, say another 3 to 4 hours for Watford.  

As far as the depth is concerned it is difficult to measure because the drifting but I would reckon about a couple cc so far. 

The road outside is the main A41 but that is starting to develop a white patch in the centre. 

Just now, mike Meehan said:

According to the radar only about 25% of that dollop has passed over so far, so I would guestimate, say another 3 to 4 hours for Watford.  

As far as the depth is concerned it is difficult to measure because the drifting but I would reckon about a couple cc so far. 

The road outside is the main A41 but that is starting to develop a white patch in the centre. 

I live in the Meriden estate and we have a few cms here, the roads are totally covered as gritters do not come down my street. 

26 minutes ago, Freeman said:

Could that band of showers continue to push NW towards Peterborough, am I seeing things? Nothing forecast on the MO app?

Sorry northerly extent appears to be south Norfolk according to the radar.