Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Very unexpected and welcome end to a truly memorable cold spell.  I'm a teacher and have had three snow days in a row this week.  I've been teaching for 13 years and that has never happened before.  

For me, living in North Essex and working in rural Suffolk, this spell has had it all: bitter easterlies; heavy, drifting snow (as tall as a car on a lane near my house!); red Met Office warnings (even if not for here); nationwide panic, media hysteria...and those three days off to make some brilliant memories with my wife and children.

I only ever come on these forums to lurk on the model thread from about mid November onwards and hardly ever post...but something about this particular spell has brought me out into the open.  I have spent a long time trying to get to grips with the model output and am slowly getting there...!  

Anyway, enjoy whatever snow you have and see you all next winter!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Er...OK...one last post...the radar looks very promising for Suffolk and Norfolk!  Will just miss me in Colchester, but good luck to anyone in the north of the region!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
7 minutes ago, Sweetdream said:

still snowing here   So going to be very wet when the melt starts 

i'm not far north enough lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
1 minute ago, Dj fart said:

Er...OK...one last post...the radar looks very promising for Suffolk and Norfolk!  Will just miss me in Colchester, but good luck to anyone in the north of the region!

My sheep have retreated to the back of the barn, talk about standing room only! I do like having Lamb Cam, it says it's still snowing :nonono: I'm ready for 27C now please!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

*opens door and pokes head in* Not been in this thread before. What's it doing up Oundle way? :laugh: work in a care home there but not due in again till Wednesday when all the snow will have thawed. Hope they did get some though!

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, andy_leics22 said:

*opens door and pokes head in* Not been in this thread before. What's it doing up Oundle way? :laugh: work in a care home there but not due in again till Wednesday when all the snow will have thawed. Hope they did get some though!

Shut the **&%!!*&& door! :rofl: 

By Wednesday you'll need at least a canoe.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
1 minute ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

Shut the **&%!!*&& door! :rofl: 

By Wednesday you'll need at least a canoe.....

Bloody cold out there! I'm coming in here for a bit :laugh:

Yeah there is going to be a lot of water around when this lot melts! I live in Rushden but i'm down in Oxford for this weekend. When I left Rushden yesterday, there was around 4-5cm around. They had some more last night and tonight by the looks of it!

Had a decent amount in Oxford too so I didn't miss out...

20180302_170003.jpg

Posted

Screen shot of my barn. There's a lot of snow in there and it (as the song says) it doesn't show signs of stopping..

IMG_20180302_234325.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow - I'm an 80 year old kid at heart!
18 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

My sheep have retreated to the back of the barn, talk about standing room only! I do like having Lamb Cam, it says it's still snowing :nonono: I'm ready for 27C now please!

I should be in St Lucia today on a cruise but we didn't go because my wife was ill. The temperature in St. Lucia? - 27 degrees!!

Posted
2 minutes ago, bbtablet said:

I should be in St Lucia today on a cruise but we didn't go because my wife was ill. The temperature in St. Lucia? - 27 degrees!!

My sister's out there at there at the moment, coming back on the 4th. Boy are they in for a shock!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

ooh what a fab time we’ve had, tho glad not to have needed medical attention, been stuck on a train, hit by a driver whilst they texted on a mobile or fell over my shadow into a ditch et al.

Hope all the mad NW snow posters stay safe and enjoy their hibernation till the next time..

This is my last pic this season unless the snow thaws enough to mould it into something - view from our front door inc the lamp post weather station :crazy:

Tis been great to read everyone’s excitement and +ve comments - We’re a strange and lovely lot and long may it continue (-; 

snowEve2ndMarch2018.JPG

ps 10cms this time as opposed to 15 ish dec12 2017 but the experience was fun.

Edited by Pixel
end bit

Posted

I'm just hoping for a decent run of storms this summer; maybe this exceptional winter means we're in for a treat (as long as the French aren't stingy, anything interesting makes it out of London and the Midlands and the NE doesn't pinch ours like they have done for the last 5 years)...

Posted

Snizzle started about 15.00 today, drier tiny pellets by 16.00 when out with the dog, I set off home at 17.00 and then it was sticking fast and freezing over.  DD's house is a few miles north and 40m ASL, in an undulating residential close, with a hill out of the village and up to the main road, then onto a straight A road in open countryside, with a couple of shallow hills.  Powder snow had packed and frozen, but lots blowing off the fields, traffic was at a steady 15 mph and I'm glad i didn't have to brake.  Whether I'm in the little manual hatchback, as today, or the old Discovery (auto), I'm not at all happy driving on snow.  The little car wouldn't slide as far, I could probably push it a bit if I had to, and at least the radio works.  The Disco is full of diesel and it's so heavy anyway, it takes longer to stop.

It's stopped snowing in the last half-hour or so and has accumulated more today than it has all week.  Temp -1.3 and I wonder if this is the last snowy night.

• Like 1

Posted

Still pigging well snowing, there's a wretched streamer exiting Holland which has "long haul" stamped all over it :sorry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
21 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

Still pigging well snowing, there's a wretched streamer exiting Holland which has "long haul" stamped all over it :sorry:

lucky

Posted

Still bloomin snowing here as well. I'd given up on really analysing the weather reports about yesterday, because of boredom after the event, but had watched a few that suggested that we would get no more, or rain. And so was expecting the very start of thaw about now. But no, it's fairly coming down. I reckon a couple of centimetres so far, but looking at the radar I expect it will be quite a bit more by sunrise. Grrr, I hope, at least, THIS stuff is good for snowmen!

Edited by Bloomin snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Winter going out with a bang here. Terrific spell. A proper convective easterly, record breaking cold, 3 consecutive ice days and a snowy breakdown to round it off. Let's do this again in December, Nature.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

Winter going out with a bang here. Terrific spell. A proper convective easterly, record breaking cold, 3 consecutive ice days and a snowy breakdown to round it off. Let's do this again in December, Nature.

Mental - considering this was supposed to be more like it should have been 3 days ago! Bring on the sunshine pleeeeeeeese!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

I suspect that Theresa has upset our European friends and they are now declining to send us the weather we really love - the temp at Watford is now +0.1C, humidity 91%. 

Overall I reckon we had about 8cms of snow, though a lot of it was scattered into drifts in the wind. 

Adieu niege, adieu gele. :sorry:

Salut printemps  :) 

Edited by mike Meehan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

The thaw is on and it's a tropical 1.1C here!

• Like 1