Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Well started again..lighter but bigger flakes... Bonus run.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

If it snows like this, up here, for as long as it has down in Kent & Sussex, it might still be going come tomorrow morning...?:yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

If it snows like this, up here, for as long as it has down in Kent & Sussex, it might still be going come tomorrow morning...?:yahoo:

Snows like what? Still zero here!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.
2 minutes ago, mike Meehan said:

I prefer the dry breakdown - back in March 2010 we had a nice little blizzard in the south of France - despite having snow on the ground it remained dry and as soon as the snow was cleared off the roads they dried out as well, te exceptions being the patches of melt water. 

Mostly melted by sunshine, a clear blue sky and gradually warming conditions towards about +6C - very pretty to look at as well. 

It took about a week for the snow to go but during that week I saw the pompiers attending to a small brush fire in a ditch at the side of th road, with some snow still lying. It must have been tinder dry to have caught in the first place and remained so despite the snowfall. 

With the damp conditions we often get the nasty slush and at times advection fog - now that is miserable. 

That’s one of the downsides of the UK  always too much moisture around. I would love to experience a continental climate for for a few years.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

Snows like what? Still zero here!

That's what I mean, NS: the whole lot must be moving at a snail's pace?:santa-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Is it what we have here? very very fine snow but in quantity, can only be seen really in the lamplight, but is leaving a new cover on everything?

Posted
2 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

Is it what we have here? very very fine snow but in quantity, can only be seen really in the lamplight, but is leaving a new cover on everything?

It was when it started, now it's more like fast-moving fog. Flake-size keeps changing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

The fine snow sounds like sand when falling on the bushes in the garden. Frozen dust storm?

Edited by 80sWeather
  • Like 1

Posted

Very llight snow here now. It's a just a pity we can't eek out a couple of hours heavier snowfall before it ends. Still we had about 3cm of snow accumulate since it started

Posted

Last bit of snow pushing through before it all clears. I wouldn't expect a thaw to kick in until tomorrow morning. In any case it was fun while it lasted. Not amazing (at least in NW London) but will still be memorable. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
32 minutes ago, Pixel said:

10th March anyone??

:crazy::cold::rofl:

gfs-2-192.png

I see as far as our part of the world is concerned we will be in a bit of a col with a slack gradient - 500 mb thickness is just over 530 metres 

gfs-0-180.png?12

We might just scrape a -4C on the uppers, so snow possible with the thickness and this

gfs-1-192.png?12?12   

and we are north of the jet stream

gfs-5-18.png?12

Sure enough Meteo Ciel shows snow

gfs-2-18.png?12

but with temps of +4C. I doubt it will settle, so all in all it looks a bit marginal. 

gfs-9-192.png?12

Interesting to note temps up to 24C in Catalonia - Spring is on the way, Yippee. 

Edited by mike Meehan
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

lovely cosy evening, still snowing, got me LCD candles on, little kitty asleep roast chicken in oven.

:friends:

• Like 1

Posted

Super evening of snow tonight. 1-2inches widely, on top of the inch or two already on the ground. Really hard snow - treacherous roads. Drifts of 5/6 inches in the wind. Didn’t expect that! Very happy. At last! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
18 minutes ago, 80sWeather said:

That’s one of the downsides of the UK  always too much moisture around. I would love to experience a continental climate for for a few years.

I'd much rather have dry than wet - it reminds m when I was speaking to a cap with a Finnish wife a few years ago - his mother in law came over from Helsinki to spend Christmas with them - she did not like it - it felt too cold here, no doubt the damp effect - it's funny that - I can recall times when I have been out in -5C but dry calm conditions and it feels much warmer than a damp +3C - something to do with the difference between heat and temperature - they are not both the same. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Oh snow, got to be close second frosty mornings, all white and glistening,

still snowing here has been for hrs now not as heavy but still good ppn :D

Posted

looking  at the radar is that a low forming over the channel islands

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Great snow today. 

Good depth in drifts and easily another 4cm fell this afternoon 

still snowing lightly 

Not at all bad at all to finish off this cold spell 

Posted

Evening all :)

Another extraordinary day of weather - the fourth near ice day in a row. Unprecedented for the time of year.

Still snowing in lowland East London and current depth is 3.5 inches on the car bonnet so not as much as December 2010 or February 2009 and comparable with January 2013.

We are supposed to go milder through the night but I anticipate plenty of fog tomorrow as the thaw sets in.

Temperatures returning to near average by middle of next week (supposedly) but the 12Z models suggest we'll stay on the cold side for a lot of the week. ECM keeps the 850s at 0 to -4 for most of the week so below average as I see it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Snowing again on Chingford. Unexpected

Posted

Much lighter here, now...:cray:

Should the skies clear and winds fall light (following the last of the snow) freezing fog might preserve lying snow for a few days' more...

I'm getting desperate!:D

• Like 1

Posted

Anytime our area has enough snow that you can print you're foot in the snow is a result , Still touch and go if we had as much as the falls in 2009/10 and especially 2013 but one thing definite we have had a couple off the coldest days recently for a long long time .

Maybe the fact that the majority of the snow this year fell during weekdays in London the exception the fall Wednesday A.M instead of Sunday Late evening through most of Monday 2010 and all day Sunday 2013 .less people about might have made the totals more due to more undisturbed snow

Although to befair it's certainly saying goodbye with a bang during this probable fairwell spell of snow at the moment my street covering up again.

All in All a great ending to a pretty poor winter with maybe a morning of snow around the 9th December gone next day.

Plus just to thanks all you regular posters some great entertainment over the past few weeks with the coming and arrival off the beast from the East.

Cheers

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Bye bye to the beast 2018. You came in like a lamb but left like a true beast, Please don’t leave it so long before you come knocking again my friend. If you’ve got snow enjoy while you can, live like a kid again ??

its been emotional ? 

• Like 4