Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

Captain Shortwave

Posted
1 minute ago, 80sWeather said:

It may be where the pipe drains outside has frozen. Pour some hot water over it from the kettle.

Sorry, where? outside or in the bath?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

mad snow skillz.  Snowing like a boss.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Ed Stone said:

That happened to us in 1981, 82 and 87...ended up just waiting for things to thaw-out naturally...

Fierce drifting going on down here.

oh, ok. may be a few days then.Just looked out, light snow now being blown about.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Easily the best snowfall from the ‘beast from the east’ 

4cm of fresh snowfall since 3pm with maybe another hour to go which would bring my town up to 5cm on top of existing 

Nice one cold spell... at least you didn’t finish on a damp squib 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Yikes! It must be bad - just seen some muppets take their ski poles to Tesco!:rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
12 minutes ago, Sparky68 said:

Some decent snow for the Huntingdon crowd , been snowing for a few hours and getting heavier.

Hello Sparky68

My grandson will be pleased. I guess he will be disappointed that it did not happen earlier in the week as he would not have had to go to school.

Kind Regards

Dave

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Ben Lewis said:

4cm of fresh snowfall since 3pm with maybe another hour to go which would bring my town up to 5cm on top of existing 

Yep, wonderful way to finish winter.

Winter wonderland here. Left work early, just walked around the village, and can now sit back and enjoy it.

Lovely Jubbly.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
22 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

omg just noticed the water hasnt drained out of the bath, put my hand in the cold water and felt around the plughole, nothing, tried plunging it, nothing, will have to bail the water out by hand :help:

sounds like you have a bunged up hole

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm

If anything the snow has now turned to snizzle,  - causing some reduction in vis - if it was proper drizzle the outsides of the widows would get wet but they are remaining dry, probably gained an extra cm or two during the proper snow period. 

Now -1.6C  88% humidity and the bar has been level for a little while now - some snow still blowing in the wind. 

It is worth noting that as the temperature rises towards freezing the point the traction when driving on the roads reduces, so that much more care needs to be taken - the art is looking ahead, planning your route at the same time allowing yourself plenty of space and time for the unexpected. 

The slipperiness is caused by weight on the snow or ice caused that top layer to melt a little, so making it slick and the colder it is the less likelihood of that film of water forming. 

As I have previously said traction is much better when it is fair bit colder, especially if it is fresh powder snow on a dry road. The ultimate is that those on skis in really cold conditions such as in the Antarctic find that there is little 'glide' with their skis. 

Edited by mike Meehan
  • Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

after the depth of the cold, I think this was important. a proper blizzard would have been nice but at least we got something 

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Yikes! It must be bad - just seen some muppets take their ski poles to Tesco!:rofl:

Maybe that’s what I need? Might save me from going ar@e over t*t every step I take :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.
14 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

Sorry, where? outside or in the bath?

Where the pipe comes out of the wall outside.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Take care to empty your wheelie bin:

Image result for bears in bins

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.
9 minutes ago, Bogman said:

Yep, wonderful way to finish winter.

Winter wonderland here. Left work early, just walked around the village, and can now sit back and enjoy it.

Lovely Jubbly.

There’s nothing worse that a boring dry breakdown of a cold spell, still snowing here?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Calmed down now...Very much best snow fall this event..lovely.  Oh well guess this is probably it...

• Like 1

Posted

Light snow at the moment but difficult to tell due to blowing snow everywhere.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Jason T said:

Calmed down now...Very much best snow fall this event..lovely.  Oh well guess this is probably it...

Not a bad way to start March! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises
2 minutes ago, saint said:

Not a bad way to start March! 

10th March anyone??

:crazy::cold::rofl:

gfs-2-192.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

4cm of fresh snow here since 3pm 

Snowing very lightly now but what a way to finish off... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The snow is very slowly building up, it would be nice to see some proper flakes instead of this very fine stuff.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Bit late in the day but Newbie here (although have been a Lurker since 2010 :D) just wanted to thank you all for keeping me entertained this last couple of weeks with all the ramps..moans..will it?..won't it? All the classic one liners which make me LOL :rofl:..i feel like i know you all personally after following you all for 8 years I still don't have a Scooby about reading charts etc but enjoy reading all the posts and lampost watching which is about as good as my understanding of 'is it going to snow?' gets :) but thanks to all the members with your informative posts it makes me look knowledgable to my friends and family..Its been an awesome week with an overall total of around 1ft :yahoo:between thaws and wind and now down to around 3" left..I am a Happy bunny so now i am going to bounce off to find the 'Spring' but i will be back in November to do it all again..

Happy Spring and Summer All :friends:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
6 minutes ago, 80sWeather said:

There’s nothing worse that a boring dry breakdown of a cold spell, still snowing here?

I prefer the dry breakdown - back in March 2010 we had a nice little blizzard in the south of France - despite having snow on the ground it remained dry and as soon as the snow was cleared off the roads they dried out as well, te exceptions being the patches of melt water. 

Mostly melted by sunshine, a clear blue sky and gradually warming conditions towards about +6C - very pretty to look at as well. 

It took about a week for the snow to go but during that week I saw the pompiers attending to a small brush fire in a ditch at the side of th road, with some snow still lying. It must have been tinder dry to have caught in the first place and remained so despite the snowfall. 

With the damp conditions we often get the nasty slush and at times advection fog - now that is miserable. 

• Like 2