Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Come on peeps - all is not lost. Arsenal have missed a penalty!:rofl:

image.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.
34 minutes ago, moogyboobles said:

Radar says snow, the sky says no.
I'll watch that Helen Czerski BBC Four thing about temperature instead, it's the episode about heat this week. 

Great program!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Looks like we will probably get some patchy light snow or snow grains for our region on and off, the west seeing perhaps more prolonged bursts but no more than a dusting is likely tonight.

As for tomorrow, a case of fingers crossed I think. GFS out now;

Decent chance of significant snow - London area, Essex, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Northamptonshire. There could be several hours of moderate snow with smoe heavier bursts mixed in. A couple of inches of fresh snow potentially.

Lower risk - Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire, the snow will likely reach this part of the region but would have weakened somewhat, so probably lighter and patchier snow compared to areas further south. 1-2cm in favoured spots, a dusting elsewhere.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Looks like we will probably get some patchy light snow or snow grains for our region on and off, the west seeing perhaps more prolonged bursts but no more than a dusting is likely tonight.

As for tomorrow, a case of fingers crossed I think. GFS out now, looks like Essex/Herts/Bucks and Northamptonshire look decent for several hours of snow during the evening, the north will see some but again it will tend to weaken and become patchy in nature.

Hey Captain, any sort of idea on possible cm's for us down here in South Herts tomorrow? Also, what sort of time is it expected? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
4 minutes ago, saint said:

Hey Captain, any sort of idea on possible cm's for us down here in South Herts tomorrow? Also, what sort of time is it expected? 

Probably after dark which is fortunate for those travelling home from work. I would put your location in the couple of inches bracket I think.

Of course I may have given your snow chances the kiss of death, keep an eye of the forecasts throughout the day and of course the radar to see how quickly the front moves towards us and whether it is able to hold its intensity.

Beyond the weekend, it looks like less cold air from the Bay of Biscay will manage to filter across us, but it will never get that mild with temperatures probably scraping to middle single figures. To be honest next week looks rather gloomy with a low of mist and low cloud given slack conditions. In the end it would have been better if the cold had probably hung on for us or the warm fronts cleared fully north and introduced a milder but brighter Atlantic flow.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Probably after dark which is fortunate for those travelling home from work. I would put your location in the couple of inches bracket I think.

Of course I may have given your snow chances the kiss of death, keep an eye of the forecasts throughout the day and of course the radar to see how quickly the front moves towards us and whether it is able to hold its intensity.

Ah interesting, I thought it would be earlier and could cause issues, but fair enough! I'm in work until 9pm tomorrow so that should be interesting. :mellow:

Thanks for the answers! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Beery Sunny evenings

MO says no snow foreast for Cambridgeshire tomorrow while Accuweather claims 10-15cm of snow for Cambridgeshire tomorrow. The forecasts really are all over the place. Pretty windy right now but no snow falling despite radar looking like it may be. 

Posted

Everyone enjoy tomorrow and Sat out in this historic spell.  Even if it remains cold or more cold forecast, it wont be like this historic week!!

Simply amazing weather we have had, never nice to wave goodbye to it, considering it may never be seen again in my lifetime!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nath said:

Everyone enjoy tomorrow and Sat out in this historic spell.  Even if it remains cold or more cold forecast, it wont be like this historic week!!

Simply amazing weather we have had, never nice to wave goodbye to it, considering it may never be seen again in my lifetime!!

Agree was lovely ... disagree to waving goodbye 

I once thought I wanted to move to Canada... after a week of this I’m thinking nope I need my sunshine now ! 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Nath said:

I agree. It's sad to see it go. Although if we had it every year we might not appreciate it as much.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Well we are moving into a period of low solar activity and if more SSW's occur in the right place, then we will get the same. A new ice age cometh, you heard it here third, james madden, joe bastardi beat me to it:rofl: The army have been helping dropping supplies to people, do they drop bounties, i'm getting bounty withdrawal symptoms and the shakes, might have to call dial a bounty

Posted

To my surprise the skies have now cleared here, well there is thin high cloud but the moon is clearly visible. This will help temperatures to drop again.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, saint said:

BBC forecasts generally going along with the idea of snow into tomorrow afternoon, warning of possible disruption. 

Emphasis on uncertainty re how long it might last and how much might fall

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

Storm Andrea is here and blowing all the snow away I also hear another storm sweet dreams has come to help restore spring ! 

Heap time to turn all the hairdryers on !