Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

Captain Shortwave

Posted
3 minutes ago, Dami said:

was the snow to SW meant to be as far east as it is? thought it was meant to pivot west. Not complaining or anything.

From what i have heard it was meant to be further west but bits are spreading further east.  

Like you, we have had almost non stop snow from 7am but the ground isn't even covered as it is drifting so much

Posted
15 minutes ago, smichling said:

The system looks to have made it to London. Just. Thought It would turn away just short leaving us with not as much. However just started snowing in north London and hopefully should continue for a while. 

Good news son! :D We were only ever going to be on the fringes of this event though, we will have to be satisfied with a few cms at best this time. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, long warm sunny days in the summer, not to hot.

Very light snow Dagenham.

Posted
10 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

Snowing ... again getting bored now :pardon:

Indeed, effectively second day we're cut off now with roads closed due to drifting, no shops open, no public transport, hospital appointments cancelled. Doesn't take much to grind to a halt.

Edited by runboy

Posted

Well, it’s snowed all day since I got up. We’ve had heavy bursts and light bursts, but it’s been falling all day. It’s been really windy as well so we’re getting nice drifts in places. Is it ever going to stop :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy Winters, Hot and Sunny Summers - Never Mild!

Latest radar shows PPN intensifying out in the English Channel up from France, progressing up to us more NE than initially predicted. :)

Radar1.thumb.png.bb977e36e86f21b9b9bbd503f01c9683.png

Could be looking at some strong falls for SW parts of our region (London and Home Counties).

Also, latest 12z HIRLAM shows this for 5pm this evening....

hirlam-1-4-0_nds5.png

When you take into consideration what the radar is currently showing, it does make one think that it could be on to something...:wink:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, runboy said:

Indeed, effectively second day we're cut off now with roads closed due to drifting, no shops open, no public transport, hospital appointments cancelled. Doesn't take much to grind to a halt.

This is why people should always have a couple of days food available even if its only a couple of sachets of cuppasoup.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Wind has picked up and the snow is blowing everywhere. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Appreciate that many won't want anymore snow coming down, but this fine stuff is annoying me, for gods sake if ya gonna snow, SNOW. Big fat flakes please and a snow day tomorrow.  

Posted

Expect things to get tantalisingly close and then pivot West about 7ish...

Posted
1 minute ago, ITSY said:

Was thinking that - to be fair to hirlam, it does pivot 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings
16 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Heavy snizzle welcomed me home, Chatteris has been pretty dry apart from a few flakes.

You are 10 minutes from here yet its snowed pretty much all day

Posted
1 minute ago, ITSY said:

It would be another amazing night radar watching if it does hit this region, but although I'm a relative newbie and its simply my opinion, it does look as though the eastern edge has already started moving NW :(.....really hoping something magical happens though!

• Like 1

Posted

been snowing here all day long 

started off moderate for an hour then went to light 

and then very light all day now it' back to light but still settling and slightly topping up 

• Like 1

Posted

The precip on the south eastern flank coming up from France could be a nice little surprise, especially if it keeps pushing north towards our region.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Precipitation is now definitely moving NW so SWern parts the most likely to see any of the snow crossing the channel and even then its not looking hopeful but to be fair we did ok in the end i guess. Looks like tomorrows snow has also been downgraded for those north of the Thames before a gradual increase in temps 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
Just now, Frostbite1980 said:

Precipitation is now definitely moving NW so SWern parts the most likely to see any of the snow crossing the channel and even then its not looking hopeful but to be fair we did ok in the end i guess. Looks like tomorrows snow has also been downgraded for those north of the Thames before a gradual increase in temps 

I’m not seeing that downgrade anywhere ? Have you looked at the Hirlam 12z

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
3 minutes ago, shotski said:

I’m not seeing that downgrade anywhere ? Have you looked at the Hirlam 12z

I have but also looked at the other high res models like the Arpege and as a whole the precipitation is shown to be a lot lighter than recently.

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

At Watford we have had precipitation for pretty well all the day, mostly as what I would term as snizzle (a frozen drizzle falling from the sky) it has not added much to the overall accumulation, which is about 3 to 4 cm, though it is being picked up by the wind and blown into drifts.

The temperature has slowly risen from a min of -5.4C to -2C and humidity is now 84%. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises
20 minutes ago, Bobby93 said:

The precip on the south eastern flank coming up from France could be a nice little surprise, especially if it keeps pushing north towards our region.

yes, i just had a look at the met office mobile radar app and it seems to be moving in the right direction

also here:

https://en.sat24.com/en/gb/snow

although temps still rising here in Welwyn (-2c) while dewpoints (-5c) are taking a nosedive & pressure still dropping:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IWELWYN8

been snowing tiny snow all day here blowing settled snow about into drifts,  could be a few surprises later..  and maybe the temps'l rise enough to make the snow pliable enough to mould into something... resembling...? Haven't decided yet (-: :snowman-emoji::crazy:

Humidity here is now 81%

Edited by Pixel
humidity
  • Like 1

Posted

Been a good cold spell here for the temperatures, but for snow a real let down,  so hoping the stuff coming out of France will give us one last chance, and a snow day for the kids and me tomorrow 

Posted
1 minute ago, Andy H said:

Been a good cold spell here for the temperatures, but for snow a real let down,  so hoping the stuff coming out of France will give us one last chance, and a snow day for the kids and me tomorrow 

Here here. An inch fell on Monday and again this morning. Given the set up that is very disappointing. An inch tonight and tomorrow, however, would really make a difference...

Posted
7 minutes ago, ITSY said:

Here here. An inch fell on Monday and again this morning. Given the set up that is very disappointing. An inch tonight and tomorrow, however, would really make a difference...

Will be over the moon with a few inches over the next few days, just so I can spend a long weekend with the kids enjoying the snow, after that bring on spring I am running out of logs for the burner! 

• Like 1