Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

Captain Shortwave

15 minutes ago, shotski said:

And of course as a nation and in general we are getting more lazy!

wouldnt it be great if parents & children started walking to school instead of being driven half a mile down the road. 

I walked over Dunstable downs to get to school .. no busses we running wasn’t a excuse as far as the school was concerned! If teachers could get in so could we ... and we did it was fun ! The ones out in the sticks (Eaton bray ) couldn’t get in but that’s understandable as they had a bus to get them and roads blocked off .. our generation were hard nuts lol 

Edited by Snowflake Queen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Just now, Snowflake Queen said:

And no conkers allowed either these days ! 

What about those fabulous ice-slides we all used to (having arrived at school anything up to an hour early!) lovingly prepare? Nowadays, some miserable bar-steward treats the playground with bloody salt!:shok:

Where do they think Torville and Dean got their ice-skating ideas from, for God's sake!:angry::D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
3 minutes ago, stromanis said:

The car is not moving today!

FAB919E3-3D36-48D8-8AAC-0ECCAA9825CA.jpeg

697B0ABB-A577-4849-BB88-C49252F04084.jpeg

I hate you ?

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, shotski said:

Going completely of topic but I saw a mum go into meltdown because their daughter picked up a snail 

“quick wash your hands, their dirty”

??

If it was my daughter I would have said, "let's take it home and keep it as a pet".:) It would have been my daughter telling ME not to touch the wildlife!

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, JennyJane1 said:

If it was my daughter I would have said, "let's take it home and keep it as a pet".:) It would have been my daughter telling ME not to touch the wildlife!

You lot have reminded of one of my darkest memories: how was I to know that the 'piece of liquorice' I 'found' crawling over the dandelions wasn't actually a 'piece of liquorice' at all!:bad:

Posted

Is  it  me or is the incoming storm more north looking at the radar

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, tinybill said:

Is  it  me or is the incoming storm more north looking at the radar

Possibly a smidge further north. One thing i've noticed is that since the snow stopped here in Ipswich the temp has risen from -3.5 to -1.6, still cold, still below freezig but a rise of +2c nonetheless.

Posted

Afternoon all :)

Calm, quiet and cold would sum up East Ham this lunchtime - went out briefly an hour or so ago, the air remains chilled and -3c feels generous. A second ice day here and will we get a third tomorrow ?

Some disappearance of lying snow - evaporation I would assume ? Warmer buildings allowing some snow melt on roofs but a site more akin to mid December than the first day of March.

As we don't have children, I'm not getting involved in the "should schools be open ?" debate. I normally work in Guildford but my Manager has written off the rest of the week and I'm working at home today and tomorrow. To be fair, I got home from Guildford last night without too much trouble. Both South Western Railway and the Underground were working well despite the conditions and some of the pavements in my area had been gritted.

Posted
2 minutes ago, pinball wizard said:

Possibly a smidge further north. One thing i've noticed is that since the snow stopped here in Ipswich the temp has risen from -3.5 to -1.6, still cold, still below freezig but a rise of +2c nonetheless.

Uppers are rising markedly through the day 

Posted
29 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

I’m all for a snow day with the kids I really am it’s just that parents seem to live next to the school and then drive them in lol ...

I agree with that. People don't walk enough these days.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
28 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Indeed, JJ - my first full year of school was 1962-63, and not once did I miss school because of snow; otitis media and tonsilitis, aye, snow, no!

How times have changed!:D

was the winter of 62-63 caused by a rogue filament from the moon or was it caused by an eruption from Uranus?:unsure2:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!
45 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

Why do they shut schools fgs ! We already have a breed of snowflake children ( so the government say ) we played in the snow ,Walked to school ... teachers even walked in ! Only time we was sent home is if the heating went down :nonono: ... 

Because Injury lawyers 4 u or some such similar scab will be more than happy to squeeze the school for a good few k when little Johnny slips and grazes his knee due to snow, such a pathetic society we now live in in that respect.  Sad times - we used to have fun at school in the snow and a fall was part and parcel of it and learning how the world works.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Uppers are rising markedly through the day 

Still -2 here.

Posted

I've been on the Homepage again: strong east wind is true, temp up to -1C looks about right; heavy snow, however, is conspicuous by its absence!:cray:

Posted

I’ve just had to abandon my car.  Snow drifts ridiculous and it’s down to one track. Lorry came the other way and one of us had to give ground.  Car now stuck fast and I’ve had to walk 2 miles home.

Posted

It's just cloudy here. Parts of Ireland are getting hammered by snow now. I can't tell lie, i'm jealous.

Posted

Schools generally close because unlike “the good old days” most kids don’t live local to their school, likewise teachers.

police and councils don’t generally want cars full of kids slipping and sliding around the roads when everyone else is around

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
27 minutes ago, James1979 said:

Because Injury lawyers 4 u or some such similar scab will be more than happy to squeeze the school for a good few k when little Johnny slips and grazes his knee due to snow, such a pathetic society we now live in in that respect.  Sad times - we used to have fun at school in the snow and a fall was part and parcel of it and learning how the world works.

go to visit injury lawyers 4 u website:whistling:

Posted

Looks like tomorrow evening/night is our last chance of any snowfall across the region.

I was very disappointed with this beast from the east on Mon/Tues, but boy yesterday changed my opinion completely. Almost heavy snow showers nonstop all day, leaving around 6-8 inches by sunset. 

This morning's snow was also a nice little surprise, and to have daytime temps of max -3 for two consecutive is amazing at any time, especially at this stage of winter.

And to top it all off today's snow drifts are a thing of beauty.

10/10 for me this cold spell.