Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

Captain Shortwave

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

The nearest thing to falling snow I've seen (since yesterday) are the wee blobs that the wind picks from the trees and roofs; but the spin-drifts away over the common suggest that flatter and more rural places may be subject to some severe drifting?

Main A road outside Cromer  9B82515F-662C-414E-9F55-22CFF6223B75.png

Edited by Kim Mitchell
  • Like 3

Posted
Just now, Snowflake Queen said:

Why do they shut schools fgs ! We already have a breed of snowflake children ( so the government say ) we played in the snow ,Walked to school ... teachers even walked in ! Only time we was sent home is if the heating went down :nonono: ... 

We weren't even sent home then, I can remember doing lessons in coat and gloves, tells you how long ago it was, the free milk they made every child drink in these cute little quarter size bottles would become ice blocks at the top.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
1 minute ago, Snowflake Queen said:

Why do they shut schools fgs ! We already have a breed of snowflake children ( so the government say ) we played in the snow ,Walked to school ... teachers even walked in ! Only time we was sent home is if the heating went down :nonono: ... 

Pretty much because all the parents drive to school now a days where as in our day SQ ? we use to walk. 

• Like 1

Just now, JennyJane1 said:

We weren't even sent home then, I can remember doing lessons in coat and gloves, tells you how long ago it was, the free milk they made every child drink in these cute little quarter size bottles would become ice blocks at the top.

One headmaster said the children must not touch the snow for health and safety? Has the world gone mad ! 

Posted
Just now, Snowflake Queen said:

I would prefer this approach be taken than to be reading about a child being killed or injured on there way to school. Have you seen how some people drive recklessly in these conditions?

Posted

Tomorrow pm still looks promising enough - nothing spectacular but potentially an inch or two more for those in the South and West of our region. And that's if we don't get any more surprises like we did this morning and last night. 

Just now, Bricriu said:

I would prefer this approach be taken than to be reading about a child being killed or injured on there way to school. Have you seen how some people drive recklessly in these conditions?

That unfortunately can happen at any time hence what happened near me in Hayes ... so it’s not just snow events ! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual
7 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

Agreed. 

My local high school didn't close but opened one hour later, and allowed kids to wear mufti instead of uniform. 

The snow never arrived, so they look a bit silly now lol 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

I imagine a lot of it is due to teachers not living close to the school and unable to get there. Same as some pupils are unable to get there. For instance, I live 16 miles away from my sons school, roads have been impassable from here to the school by car and it’s a tad of a walk for us :cold: I don’t remember schools closing either when I was a kid, but I guess with public transport and more people owing cars, people live further from the school they work at/attend, which is all fine, until weather like this when public transport goes belly up and cars are as much use as a chocolate teapot :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Very light snow has now started; aforementioned spin-drifts are going crazy!:santa-emoji:

• Like 2

Posted

I have to agree...i was driving at 50mph max on the a12 yesterday for someone to fly past at atleast 70. Snow on the ground and loads coming down. Most people and i stress most do drive to the conditions but I'd hate to read about a child getting mowed down by a muppet. 

My daughters school was open today..late registration..roads were mental around her school..wind blowing a gale...snowing...and people almost falling over..yet theyve only decided to close an hour early...after the snows cleared. Why dont they just say the rest of the week off to save people driving in it.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

One headmaster said the children must not touch the snow for health and safety? Has the world gone mad ! 

Health and safety now, lol, back then the school toilets were a row of aout five toilets in what looked like an old wooden shed, gaps in the slats so the wind blew through, in winter there would be ice in the toilet and the one sink would have no running water, also the heavy tracing paper toilet roll woould be really cold on your bits, not to mention having to cross the icy playground to get there in the first place!And we walked to school every day, which was over a mile each way.

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

That unfortunately can happen at any time hence what happened near me in Hayes ... so it’s not just snow events ! 

Oh i know it can happen any time. There is a school near me that gives a stark reminder of this outside of its gates, there is a sign that says a child is killed every hour by a Vehicle. I just think in these conditions the rate could increase without these precautions being taken. I have had motorists encouraging me to hurry up while driving. I was going 35 miles an hour on secondary roads that had compacted snow on them with temperatures below freezing. So it was not as if i was driving like a nervous ninny.

Edited by Bricriu

Posted

And of course as a nation and in general we are getting more lazy!

wouldnt it be great if parents & children started walking to school instead of being driven half a mile down the road. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bricriu said:

Oh i know it can happen any time. There is a school near me that gives a stark reminder of this outside of its gates, there is a sign that says a child is killed every hour by a Vehicle. I just think in these conditions the rate could increase without these precautions being taken. I have had motorists encouraging me to hurry up while driving. I was going 35 miles an hour. So it was not as if i was driving like a nervous ninny.

I’m all for a snow day with the kids I really am it’s just that parents seem to live next to the school and then drive them in lol ...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

Health and safety now, lol, back then the school toilets were a row of aout five toilets in what looked like an old wooden shed, gaps in the slats so the wind blew through, in winter there would be ice in the toilet and the one sink would have no running water, also the heavy tracing paper toilet roll woould be really cold on your bits, not to mention having to cross the icy playground to get there in the first place!And we walked to school every day, which was over a mile each way.

Indeed, JJ - my first full year of school was 1962-63, and not once did I miss school because of snow; otitis media and tonsilitis, aye, snow, no!

How times have changed!:D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Genuinely for a minute or two couldn't tell if it was snowing or blowing. It's snowing, just a little shower.
The drifts are beautiful out there.

Our school is closed because many of the teachers and pupils don't live here, there are train and bus cancellations. They'd rather close the school than have to deal with stranded children unable to get home. 
My children have had very few snow days off compared with how many I had as a child. 

Edited by moogyboobles
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow - I'm an 80 year old kid at heart!
8 minutes ago, Blazerblue said:

I imagine a lot of it is due to teachers not living close to the school and unable to get there. Same as some pupils are unable to get there. For instance, I live 16 miles away from my sons school, roads have been impassable from here to the school by car and it’s a tad of a walk for us :cold: I don’t remember schools closing either when I was a kid, but I guess with public transport and more people owing cars, people live further from the school they work at/attend, which is all fine, until weather like this when public transport goes belly up and cars are as much use as a chocolate teapot :D

Yes, and I can remember the free third of a bottle of milk arriving in crates frozen solid in winter and we would spend our 15 minute break trying to defrost it with our hands and a straw! We never managed it on a really cold morning so we had to put the milk back in the crate and go without!

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Snowflake Queen said:

And no conkers allowed either these days ! 

Going completely of topic but I saw a mum go into meltdown because their daughter picked up a snail 

“quick wash your hands, their dirty”

??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow - I'm an 80 year old kid at heart!
1 minute ago, moogyboobles said:

Genuinely for a minute or two couldn't tell if it was snowing or blowing. It's snowing, just a little shower.
the drifts are beautiful out there.

Our school is closed because many of the teachers and pupils don't live here, there are train and bus cancellations. They'd rather close the school than have to deal with stranded children unable to get home. 
My children have had very few snow days off compared with how many I had as a child. 

Nowadays, teachers who want to remain sane throughout their career will make sure they live just far enough away from the school or college to ensure that they never bump into pupils/students in the street!