Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

Captain Shortwave

Posted
2 minutes ago, Bricriu said:

I am getting greedy for more snow:)

Is there any chance of another streamer developing today after this front passes through? I am thinking the low coming up from France will stop that happening.

Seems unlikely, any further snow now will come from any bands associated with the low out to the SW.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
Just now, brenbrenbren said:

Possibly fallen snow being whipped up by these gusty winds and showing up as anaprop?

Could be at altitude I guess it doesn't actually look like too much is blowing about at the moment but it must be something like that fooling the radar, trouble is people outside that area just assume it must be snowfall and if they're not getting any get the hump.  It's worth bearing in mind folks that radar isn't 100% accurate and can be fooled

Posted
2 minutes ago, saint said:

Seems unlikely, any further snow now will come from any bands associated with the low out to the SW.

Lets just hope it can pivot north eastwards later this evening or tomorrow. Places in Ireland and the south west of England are getting pasted with snow now

Posted
1 minute ago, Richard Waugh said:

Could be at altitude I guess it doesn't actually look like too much is blowing about at the moment but it must be something like that fooling the radar, trouble is people outside that area just assume it must be snowfall and if they're not getting any get the hump.  It's worth bearing in mind folks that radar isn't 100% accurate and can be fooled

Especially the section of radar that is just North of Ipswich its average at its best to be honest.

Posted

Listening to Essex radio it sounds like the end of the world in some part with many towns and villages being cut off:cold:. reckon we could get a side swipe today from the snow or will have to wait until tomorrow? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything exciting.

If this was a rain storm it would head over our way because we want it over us it steers away from us.?

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Dbarb said:

Listening to Essex radio it sounds like the end of the world in some part with many towns and villages being cut off:cold:. reckon we could get a side swipe today from the snow or will have to wait until tomorrow? 

Been snowing all morning, just easing off now. Proper blizzard conditions with fine driving snow and drifting. It was bad for a while. Nobody should have been out but I saw people driving in it.

no idea how much new snow has fallen but a good few cms.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 minute ago, Dbarb said:

I think tomorrow, no indications of that huge area of ppn hitting us.

Snow now down to light flurries before it clears away. Can't complain really, had a good 5 hours of continuous light/moderate/heavy snow here today. Depths probably 5-7cm, so not exceptional by any means, but good for my location.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

Good Morning fellow posters.

The snow is less heavy now here in Springfield. I had a dental appointment earlier this morning the other side of the City and decided to walk (about 3 miles) through the snow. It was not too bad as it was mostly downhill and the wind was behind me, inspite of the heavy snow. Coming back I managed after a short wait to catch a bus to the City Centre. He told us that all buses were now being returned to the depot, so First have now ceased to run buses, at least in Mid Essex and probably further afield. I therefore had to walk the one and a half miles uphill, facing the wind home and, boy, was it hard work and bone chillingly cold.

Are we due much more for the rest of the day?

Kind Regards

Dave

• Like 3

Posted

As the last few light flakes fall I have to agree while we are not going to see the main area of snow push this far NE, can’t complain as we received about 4 hours of decent moderate and at times heavy snow which I wasn’t expecting, some people got none. Looks like there’s a chance of something tomorrow for our region both Arpege and HIRLAM going a period of snow moving through:

4B543875-024A-4DDF-857A-E415DC78FA26.jpeg

E6D9257B-1419-443D-8E70-10A784337CFA.jpeg

Edited by Nimbusman
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Copious amounts of snow and ice days
23 minutes ago, Richard Waugh said:

That radar is not accurate there's a lot of thin cloud about that is showing up on radar as snowfall but nothing is falling.  I haven't seen a thing fall on N Norfolk coast so far today but from the radar we're getting a pasting.

Got to say looking at the roads don't go out if you don't have to there are so many roads closed and impassable even the snow ploughs are getting stuck and needing rescue with roads under several feet of snow drift.  It doesn't look too bad when you look out of the window but some roads are under 3 feet of snow now especially in North Norfolk, the Wells - Fakenham road for example is completely stuffed, the A148 is blocked and that was gritted and ploughed (allegedly).  Stay safe everyone!!

Fakenham to Dereham road drifted but just about passable thanks to the help of the local farmer with his plough.

My father managed to get from Burnham Market to Kings lynn through Stanhoe and via A148 at four winds.

Most roads running North to South are not worth driving down. I won't be surprised if the drifting continues well into tomorrow afternoon 

• Like 1

Posted

How's this for irony, power problems at the local Waitrose last night and the refrigeration system failed on the coldest night of the winter.

Hardly any fresh or chilled foodstuffs available, luckily I only really went for a stroll and have plenty of grub in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

It’s been snowing here since before 07:00 here and still going. Unfortunately the flakes are too small to prevent wind from whipping them off somewhere but at times the flakes have been bigger and we’ve had.......wait for it...1cm on top of yesterday’s meagre offering. In five hours, I ask you! ?

My son, however, living in central Norwich had 9 inches of snow by yesterday lunchtime and couldn’t get out of his road. He was lent a Range Rover this morning  and managed to get out of the city so will be working today.  The drift in first photo looks like it should be in Scotland but it is either A140 or another road heading south; his destination is Stoke Holy Cross.

Last photo is the incredible drifting along my side path..?

5785A380-54F4-4381-9B0F-D167DBBA7489.jpeg

C8FF54D2-92B5-4E56-AA97-56A6259713E4.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted

A lot of the more rural and open parts of SE Essex are treacherous. The blizzards running through some of the country lanes are crazy for this part of the country. Snow drifts higher than my car, and vis no further than the front of my bonnet in some cases!!

This is definitely the longest and most disruptive spell I've seen in my lifetime (in this part of the country at least!)

• Like 4

Posted

Anyone know if the A11 from the A14 to Norwich is ok for a fiat 500 to cope with. It’s dual carriageway all the way so assume it’s ok

my daughter wants to drive up this afternoon 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and not to hot

hey all been on and off most of this morning not heavy tho

looks like Emma is going to miss us all in our region and stay more west so the Met Office say 

not sure f I would like to be in the red zone 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Thought you might like to see what some wags did in the centre of George Square, Glasgow last night. Am missing their sense of humour even more than the snowy winter they’ve had this year.

20D87FD9-F2E0-40EC-8598-592393AE5E5B.jpeg

915F19E0-3FEC-4A30-9301-40EF6BC9FF7B.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

and that's bubs school closed.

Posted

Dont throw out all hope....last night and this morning was all unpredictable, so we may end up with more snow to come....who knows!!

Posted
16 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Anyone know if the A11 from the A14 to Norwich is ok for a fiat 500 to cope with. It’s dual carriageway all the way so assume it’s ok

my daughter wants to drive up this afternoon 

I wouldn’t. Patches covered with snow drifts. Lorries and cars are getting stuck.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The nearest thing to falling snow I've seen (since yesterday) are the wee blobs that the wind picks from the trees and roofs; but the spin-drifts away over the common suggest that flatter and more rural places may be subject to some severe drifting?

• Like 1

Posted

I wonder how much snow the Chilterns has. I was thinking of heading up there but that would be a risky, so i'll leave it.