Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

Captain Shortwave

Posted
2 minutes ago, IPredictASnowStorm said:

theres nothing behind this last band though?

More bands will swing up from the south later today and into tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Posted
16 hours ago, Blazerblue said:

After a couple of hours respite, there seems to be more incoming. And the bin men didn’t make it down my road today, mind you neither did many cars :rofl:

Absolutely bitter here ths morning, just turned the heating up a notch and put some oxo broth on for later with light dumplings.Look forward to a steaming bowl of that! Currently very fine flakes lightly falling but the sky still looks laden, I think we must have had a slight top-up overnight as areas which were slightly melted were white again this morning. It'll be another day housebound for me, too dangerous on the slippery pavements with my balance problems, but nice to look at it from the window.Glad I am always stocked up with a couple of weeks worth of tins of soup, oxos, tinned vegetables, toilet rolls, tea, coffee, longlife milk, sachets of prridge, birdseed, all i need until the streets clear again.And the ham and chicken the seagull eats has a best before date a few days away so if i can i'll get him more fresh food then if the snow has gone, if not he will have to eat cat food and tinned sardines and cheddar for a few days, not his favourite but he won't starve.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

If you zoom right out on the radar you can already see the PPN off the NW of France. That looks angry; can see why the red warnings are out for the SW - will be interesting to watch it develop.

Posted
10 minutes ago, sgrech said:

Heavy snow and blizzard conditions for the past hour or so in Chelmsford.

Not sure what you are getting but if it anything like I am experiencing it is a long way off what I would call a blizzard. Certainly experienced far far worse. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, IPredictASnowStorm said:

theres nothing behind this last band though?

Not for us, in my amateur opinion. More tomorrow.

Posted

Blizzard conditions here wow.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything exciting.

Would love that storm to move a touch eastly link up with the North Sea snow would be epic.

Posted
10 minutes ago, tinybill said:

Heavy  snow in  ipswich

Might reach us then, keep watching the radar which shows light snow here most of the last hour, but nothing falling yet.

Posted

If we got blizzard- like conditions here it would be brilliant. I could not ask for anymore:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything exciting.

Been coming down steady for last 1hour and half.

• Like 1

Posted

Been snowing lightly but non stop for 2 hours arround Ipswich. Snow drifting and non stop light snow are slighly covering the roads again.

15198998082711328110128.jpg

Edited by Pirata
  • Like 4

Posted
8 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

Absolutely bitter here ths morning, just turned the heating up a notch and put some oxo broth on for later with light dumplings.Look forward to a steaming bowl of that! Currently very fine flakes lightly falling but the sky still looks laden, I think we must have had a slight top-up overnight as areas which were slightly melted were white again this morning. It'll be another day housebound for me, too dangerous on the slippery pavements with my balance problems, but nice to look at it from the window.Glad I am always stocked up with a couple of weeks worth of tins of soup, oxos, tinned vegetables, toilet rolls, tea, coffee, longlife milk, sachets of prridge, birdseed, all i need until the streets clear again.And the ham and chicken the seagull eats has a best before date a few days away so if i can i'll get him more fresh food then if the snow has gone, if not he will have to eat cat food and tinned sardines and cheddar for a few days, not his favourite but he won't starve.

I’d say if you don’t have to go out, then don’t. Pavements are like skating rinks here now, worse where some snow did start to melt yesterday and refroze. Nearly went over a couple of times walking dogs this morning, unfortunately I have one dog that will not do his do in the garden, never has, so has to be walked to relieve himself, or else I’d stay in too. 

And apparently, national grid has announced it’s running out of Gas! Any excuse to hike the prices up again :girl_devil:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Looking at the radar from 9:30 to now, the big area of green ppn over Essex seems to be weakening as it heads further north. At 10:20 it has fragmented a fair bit, and I reckon by lunchtime most places in our region will have seen what is left pass through. Still - what an excellent few bonus hours of snow, that was unexpected for many. Tomorrow still to come!

Posted

Been coming down heavily here (just out of Colchester) for the last hour.  Showing no signs of stopping.

farmer digging cars out of the snow drifts! 

• Like 2

Posted

Moderate snow here for past hour or so. Looks heavier due to blowing around in the wind. I think the term “blizzard” is used too liberally sometimes!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

When is this storm goimg to hit south coast- Bognor region? Our minibus driver has said we to leave earlier tomorrow I saying no if anything we should leave later from here Benfleet area. He saying 11am to leave. What's our chances I feel we will have to cancel our weekend which means losing 1.3k we'e paid as butlins insurance won' cover us I've found out 

Posted
7 minutes ago, Blazerblue said:

I’d say if you don’t have to go out, then don’t. Pavements are like skating rinks here now, worse where some snow did start to melt yesterday and refroze. Nearly went over a couple of times walking dogs this morning, unfortunately I have one dog that will not do his do in the garden, never has, so has to be walked to relieve himself, or else I’d stay in too. 

And apparently, national grid has announced it’s running out of Gas! Any excuse to hike the prices up again :girl_devil:

That's what i am afraid of, glad you are safe. I imagine there have been, or will be a lot of people falling in the conditions.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Essex Chelle said:

When is this storm goimg to hit south coast- Bognor region? Our minibus driver has said we to leave earlier tomorrow I saying no if anything we should leave later from here Benfleet area. He saying 11am to leave. What's our chances I feel we will have to cancel our weekend which means losing 1.3k we'e paid as butlins insurance won' cover us I've found out 

Oh that is a real shame and bad luck to have it happen right at that time, but you must do what you think is safe, and conditions sound like they will be very bad.Maybe see what the charts say later today and make a decision then?

Posted

@JennyJane1 I think most of the older residents round here are staying in thankfully, it’s a shame the paths aren’t cleared for them, but then most of the roads aren’t either. Have you thought about cutting up the chicken n ham into portions and freezing it for the bird? Will last longer as only take out enough from freezer for each meal. Like I used to for kids when they were babies, ice cube trays are great for that.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Blazerblue said:

@JennyJane1 I think most of the older residents round here are staying in thankfully, it’s a shame the paths aren’t cleared for them, but then most of the roads aren’t either. Have you thought about cutting up the chicken n ham into portions and freezing it for the bird? Will last longer as only take out enough from freezer for each meal. Like I used to for kids when they were babies, ice cube trays are great for that.

No i must admit I hadn't thought of that, good idea, thanks.Will try it.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Uxbridge90 said:

How much have you got? We're not too far away from each other and the totals we got here are minimal. 

8 cm generally, 12- 13 in drifts. I should point out I live about 250 foot above sea level,though.

Edited by Bricriu