Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
8 minutes ago, Norfolk_N_chance said:

After trying 3 different routes from Great Ryburgh to Dereham I have given up. Any road running North to South is suffering large snow drifts around this area. Many roads not passable.

Might as well stay at home in the warm, rather than being stuck in a car 

Don't blame you! Shipdham to Watton is blocked, Ovington bends blocked etc etc. Dereham to Elmham just about passable, not many routes from Dereham to Wymondham passable. Basically not much in the way of options!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Just light snow all morning so far, radar is proving useless at the moment as it was snowing even the radar was showing nothing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

Wind picking up here and slightly heavier. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, snow, and cold snowy snow

Having grown up with the snow experiences of the 70’s and 80’s as a kid and how it was so much better then, i’m Close  to calling the conditions outside ‘the worst locally i’ve ever known’.  (Or the best.....but you know what I mean). 

Posted
29 minutes ago, Blazerblue said:

Mines a 32 mile round trip, so very glad it’s closed, A12 drifted snow in places on my route, so wouldn’t bother even if they said it was open :nonono: 

She didnt go yesterday as couldnt get out of street but now snowing heavy..kce everywhere and radar saying strong ppn

West London seems to be running fine, Schools open, roads busy! Horrendously cold on the walk into work, not that much snow though - still less than December, perhaps a couple CM's - surprising considering it seems to have snowed all of last night!

HIRLAM keeps that light snow in our region into the early afternoon but looks quite weak and very much a SW event - think we can one last bite at the cherry tomorrow and then we move towards less cold temperatures.

In terms of cold and radar watching it's been fantastic, not so much for snow accumulations. 

Posted

Unless the radar wrong  there looks like some heavy  snow/blizzards  inbound  for  south east

Posted

No snow today but most of the roads are closed due to drifting. Couple of foot of snow around my house, tried clearing to get car ready for when roads open but given up now. Having wanted the snow....Not so sure now!

• Like 2

Posted

Sort of small-to-medium grain-type snow here in Leigh-on-Sea at the moment ; kinda snowing, kinda wind-drifting, maybe 3/10 in intensity. Given we're not forecast much today I'll take whatever we can get! Still a good snow base on the ground as well.

Posted

Morning, 

Am new here, so thought I would say Hi!

Very light snow in Peterborough, but can see more moving north towards us from the South.  Not that windy, but bitterly cold!

• Like 2

Posted
30 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Just light snow all morning so far, radar is proving useless at the moment as it was snowing even the radar was showing nothing.

I'm guessing that's because the snow blows far more readily than rain, so can hit the ground at a different location from where it starts falling from.

Maybe,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

Has to be said I'm not sure we'll see a warning map like this again for an awfully long time. Let's hope those in the affected areas stay safe.

image.thumb.png.3edb5d3b06694bb1a8774cfbb6b52c4f.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Far more than I expected, looks like a blizzard for the last hour and getting heavier.

Snow blowing everywhere, not amounting to a lot but looks good.

Radar shows this front getting heavier as it travels over kent.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Easygoing, but winter is meant to be white, dammit!
4 minutes ago, On the rocks said:

Morning, 

Am new here, so thought I would say Hi!

Very light snow in Peterborough, but can see more moving north towards us from the South.  Not that windy, but bitterly cold!

Welcome to the mad house :D

Posted
7 minutes ago, brenbrenbren said:

Sort of small-to-medium grain-type snow here in Leigh-on-Sea at the moment ; kinda snowing, kinda wind-drifting, maybe 3/10 in intensity. Given we're not forecast much today I'll take whatever we can get! Still a good snow base on the ground as well.

There's still plenty of snow due for Leigh-on-Sea looking at the radar! I reckon pretty much most of South Essex will get some snow fall, with the heaviest/bigger clump being east coast up to suffolk......going by the radar at least!

Posted
2 minutes ago, echodelta21 said:

Welcome to the mad house :D

Thank you! have been following for a few days, so thought I may as well join - have a interest in weather through my job.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

It's mesmerising watching the wind whip up snow off the roofs to join in the falling snow.
School closed here again, it appears they really debated this as they texted about 9pm last night, they must be glad it was warranted. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
5 minutes ago, Weather Boy said:

I'm guessing that's because the snow blows far more readily than rain, so can hit the ground at a different location from where it starts falling from.

Maybe,

Indeed - radar struggles with snowfall. Light snow doesn't reflect radar beams in the same way rainfall does, hence the lower accuracy. Heavy snowfall is fine, but the light stuff is a different ball game.

Really is a bonus here today, had 2 hours of continuous snowfall, varying in intensity. Not bad at all, with what looks like more swinging up from the SE corner before it dries out later on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Heavy snow here, a further inch has fallen this morning.