Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

I am really surprised with the snow, in January we had very heavy wet snow that snapped a lot of trees in my area but this time because its so cold the snow is fluffy. The wind picks it up and blows it around. I haven't seen that before. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme....more snow the better
6 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

so this is what a siberian winter is like.... lucky fluggers

I think I'd be totally flugged off with it after a month, 2 weeks would be enough.... maybe 3 times a year ?

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm

Looking at the radar there is a dollop of snow extending from the south Essex coast in the region of Malden and had just reached Watford by about 2130, although there had been some previous light falls.

This looks like being persistent - it is not exceptionally heavy, 'cos the vis is a little over half a mile but over a period of a few hours it should build up depth to few centimetres give Watford a more respectable covering.  

Meanwhile the current temp is -5.1C and snow is getting blown about be the wind, so we may end up with some mini drifts. 

I think snow drifts are one of the best aspects, especially when you get powder snow and marvel at the different formations. 

It reminds me of when I was on night duty once when in plod, I took a car out to te villages in the Chilterns. There was an area when the land fell away to the east and the road was exposed from the east building some great little drifts about a foot to 18 inches deep. 

I kept the car going at a steady 40 mph, powering through these drifts - there was no problem with traction with it being dry powder snow. 

I had the sensation similar to that of a destroyer battling through heavy seas which were breaking over the prow - it was exactly like that only the snow was flying over the bonnet of the car.

It were great, I thoroughly enjoyed that - however not thinking of going for a drive tonight - I was much younger then.  

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
27 minutes ago, Andy H said:

Snow for 2 hours now, heavy then light! But still lucky if we have had a cm! But loving the cold, especially the icicles and biting wind, hoping Friday gives us enough to go sledging with the kids 

According to the radar only about 25% of that dollop has passed over so far, so I would guestimate, say another 3 to 4 hours for Watford.  

As far as the depth is concerned it is difficult to measure because the drifting but I would reckon about a couple cc so far. 

The road outside is the main A41 but that is starting to develop a white patch in the centre. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)
Just now, mike Meehan said:

According to the radar only about 25% of that dollop has passed over so far, so I would guestimate, say another 3 to 4 hours for Watford.  

As far as the depth is concerned it is difficult to measure because the drifting but I would reckon about a couple cc so far. 

The road outside is the main A41 but that is starting to develop a white patch in the centre. 

I live in the Meriden estate and we have a few cms here, the roads are totally covered as gritters do not come down my street. 

Posted
26 minutes ago, Freeman said:

Could that band of showers continue to push NW towards Peterborough, am I seeing things? Nothing forecast on the MO app?

Sorry northerly extent appears to be south Norfolk according to the radar.

Posted

only a dusting here today in Essex not had much at all from this blob of snow. Hopefully a different story tomorrow morning. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, mike Meehan said:

Sorry northerly extent appears to be south Norfolk according to the radar.

When you look at radar you would think we have been hammered, not the case, over half way through and a slight covering here 

• Like 1

Posted

After short, sharp snow showers all day the afternoon ended with glorious sunshine to walk my daughter's dog.  Temp fell to -7 just after dark but has risen to -5.7 and it's snowing again now.  Only 5cms lying, I'm surprised it isn't deeper after so much seemed to have fallen.

I was watching it from the window this afternoon with a little lad of about 7 who is hoping for a snow day tomorrow.  He observed that these snowflakes were coming down, thickly, then suddenly going sideways, and flying back up a "really long way" before spinning round and round and eventually landing.  He said his sledge is red, but it's not one of the really good red ones!

I was 7 in 1963, we didn't have snow days.  What a joy it was to see that child's awe at the first real snow of his lifetime. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW! And a good thunderstorm

Dont post much but noticed this on the radar and thought I’d share. Actually still at school but got cancelled today and should be tomorrow looking at this! 

BE8D6C5C-6331-426F-810B-023FEA6904CB.MOV

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mesoscale said:

I live in the Meriden estate and we have a few cms here, the roads are totally covered as gritters do not come down my street. 

The slating of the roads is only effective down to a particular temperature - can't remember what it is now but I do recall in my youth walking over salt pavements where the gri/salt just has not had any effect. 

For the others who have not, or rarely seen dry powder snow blowing in the wind, one of the advantages of having been in 1942. I recall my step-father driving the family car over the Lincolnshire Wolds from the Midlands. 

The snow did not start until we got to Lincoln, then it started down in flakes the size of half crowns. As we got to the other side the snow was piled at the sides of the roads to a height of about 6 feet in places, obviously as a result of the snow plough going through. Also the snow was being blown in the wind to the extent that the vis was only about a hundred metres at times.

A few miles further on the road was well and truly blocked and we could not make any further progress.

We had to abandon the car and sought refuge in a farm labourers cottage to be joined by others in a similar plight. We were stuck there for three days before we could get out getting a lift in a break down lorry and had to leave the car because the cylinder block had frozen and buggered it.

The country side was littered with downed cables and some of the telegraph poles had been snapped like match stalks.

By that were a brama of a storm, yer tell 'm now and they won't believe yer.  :yahoo:

Sadly two or three days after we got back home it started melting. :angry:

There have been a number of memorable blizzards since and by that I mean proper blizzards, though not every year. 

• Like 4

Posted

Just had a 10 minute walk out there, well wrapped up. That biting wind is unreal and although I felt ok outside as I was walking, I felt shivvery for a good 10 minutes after I came in, never felt anything like it. Only about 2cms here and light flakes put I can see the individual flakes with the naked eye.

Just looked at the warnings for tomorrow and we appear to be under two separate snow warnings at the same time!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Just run the radar sequence and watched the snow north and south of Norfolk converge once it exited the county :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Easygoing, but winter is meant to be white, dammit!

Home after chaos on the rails again.....train failures and points problems aplenty today.

If the HIRLAM grabs are correct, the worst is yet to come....you'd think that some warnings would be extended already though, given that it already visible in the Channel....

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, echodelta21 said:

Home after chaos on the rails again.....train failures and points problems aplenty today.

If the HIRLAM grabs are correct, the worst is yet to come....you'd think that some warnings would be extended already though, given that it already visible in the Channel....

I think you mean the best is maybe yet to come:yahoo:

Edited by Bricriu

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
2 minutes ago, echodelta21 said:

Been watching this since 6pm, I'd say the Meto are wrong based on the radar and HIRLAM. Headless chickens springs to mind. :D 

Posted
1 minute ago, Bricriu said:

I think you mean the best is yet to come:yahoo:

Depends...if it dumps over 8 inches, then it's the best....

Anything less, and I have to try and drive a sledge on metal rails that weighs anything between 157 tons and 475 tons....and that wasn't fun today :rofl:

But yes.....the snow loving child in me hopes we get absolutely ruined by what's coming....:D

• Like 2

Posted

Snow still falling here and looks like it will for a little while yet based on the radar. Tonight's been a real surprise! 

Wonder if we'll have a few more surprises in the next couple of days?! 

Posted

Couple of pics from opposite ends of my line...Fenchurch St this evening.

20180228_212022.jpg

• Like 1