Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
8 minutes ago, FiftyShadesofSnow said:

Agree now...Had enough of The Beast from the East, let's get the chihuahua from the Sahara in.

Agree, a slow thaw and some strong winds to dry out the ground, due to start lambing around the 10th :sorry:

• Like 1

Posted

looking at the  radar  there a big red dot  over felixstowe and its heading  this way could  be interesting  plus as someone else said lots of showers  in the north sea bit like last night bbc weather your get hardly anything ending up with over 6 inches so any thing  could happen to-night!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Copious amounts of snow and ice days
4 hours ago, Will Whittaker said:

Oh dear we got a foot here and drifting. 

Station road in Stanhoe and the road from shammer to Burnham Market down beacon hill are not passable, massive drifts. I would think the Docking to Brancaster road will be blocked if the wind gets up overnight

Posted
48 minutes ago, ITSY said:

Really frustrating for cambridge, this. Too west for 99% of shower activity and too east for frontal systems. Shame to have only got an inch from these epic Synoptics. As ever, NNElies best for us. That said, we've had at least an inch of snow 5 times over 4 months this winter, so can't really complain. Plus who knows what tomorrow and Friday will bring! 

I feel your pain. ! I'm 20 miles west of you in St Neots, and I moan that the showers reach as far as Cambridge then fizzle out, although today we had plenty of heavy showers. Even tonight showers are still forming in the North Sea and heading inland, but all seem to fizzle out now before they get to Cambridge! Lol

Posted
6 minutes ago, tinybill said:

looking at the  radar  there a big red dot  over felixstowe and its heading  this way could  be interesting  plus as someone else said lots of showers  in the north sea bit like last night bbc weather your get hardly anything ending up with over 6 inches so any thing  could happen to-night!!

i saw that blob too on radar but think its a fulse return,i looked on marine traffic website and there was big ship leaving harwich harbour,i seen that happen loads times 

Posted

Well after I got the right hump yesterday, today has well and truly delivered for most of north London and the southern home counties.

Went for a walk in proper blizzard conditions and a wind that makes your face ache - not experienced cold like that since the mid-90s. 

From having thought this cold spell underwhelming on Monday I'm now rating it on par with 2010. 

• Like 1

Posted

Crazy scenes in the heart of London everywhere with a good covering! I managed to find drifts over 20cm deep, monstrous icicles, this is turning into something I’ll never forget. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme warmth And Extreme blizzards.
5 minutes ago, Norfolk_N_chance said:

Station road in Stanhoe and the road from shammer to Burnham Market down beacon hill are not passable, massive drifts. I would think the Docking to Brancaster road will be blocked if the wind gets up overnight

Yes the common road from Staithe is blocked. Not sure about Docking to Brancaster road.

Posted
1 minute ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

I find this very interesting - large gap in the flow over Norfolk! 

Capture.JPG

Looks as if the snow is being sucked down the English channel 

Posted

A little stream heading straight for Harrow - might add half a cm or so. No expecting more than a cm or two this evening. 

Think most of us will be to far east tomorrow for anything notable (i.e. more than a couple of cms), although happy to be surprised!

Posted
3 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Crazy scenes in the heart of London everywhere with a good covering! I managed to find drifts over 20cm deep, monstrous icicles, this is turning into something I’ll never forget. 

You deserve it! I've been following your updates on Twitter and you've done a great job. Nice one.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

Capture.JPG

looking at the radar animation. it is very bizarre.. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Copious amounts of snow and ice days
8 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

Capture.JPG

Is the radar broken in the North East of our region?

Posted
3 minutes ago, Norfolk_N_chance said:

Station road blocking up after tractor with plough just passed through 

Screenshot_20180228-192950.png

Lots of drifting on the back roads now the wind has picked up. Nice photo. good to family having fun. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Norfolk_N_chance said:

Is the radar broken in the North East of our region?

Seems odd! Noticed it earlier here on the coast as it was chucking it down with snow yet there was nothing showing on radar

Posted
14 minutes ago, Norfolk_N_chance said:

Station road blocking up after tractor with plough just passed through 

Screenshot_20180228-192950.png

20180228_155817.jpg

20180228_160118.jpg

20180228_160038.jpg

Posted
20 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Something to note is the wind direction is still steering showers just north of east. The GFS this morning had the winds already going well SE/SSE by this point. Hard to say if it means anything at all BUT if it carries on then that may suggest the low is evolving in a different way to what the GFS was expecting which *may* be good news for us, but hard to say without look at pressure obs from France...

12 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Really interesting as that is very similar to something I just noted,the steering currents are more ENE than the models were expecting at this time, suggesting the low maybe evolving slightly differently than planned at this stage.

Pray HIRLAM is right, 17cms here!

Two posts from Kold Weather that may be of interest to us in here. The second post is a reply to Chris Fawkes' tweet being posted. 

• Like 2