Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

Captain Shortwave

Posted
1 minute ago, Jason T said:

Agree J, Also reading through Model thread, For the weekend not looking as mild as first suggested, Although any form of Mildness will be very short lived indeed. Cold trend still favourable...

Like most of the week it seems that tomorrow and Friday will be now cast situations, but hopefully our south-western position in the region will help. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well not too much snow here in the end (An inch or so), but my goodness the cold has been on another level today. A high of -3C which is extrodinary for the time of year.

The cloud is breaking up to reveal some glorious winter sunshine, though that wind is really whipping up and blowing the snow everywhere.

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, Lowestoft Weather said:

People below need to watch out :shok:.

Maybe wearing one these might be worth a go ?

5F36AD85-1C1C-46CA-9A63-01FE42921AE2.jpeg

The neighbour's cats usually sit down below. Might be needing to use one of their 9 lives if that icicle becomes airborne.

Posted

Looking at the radar showers seem to be building in the southern North Sea from mid Suffolk down to the Thames estuary.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Well not too much snow here in the end (An inch or so), but my goodness the cold has been on another level today. A high of -3C which is extrodinary for the time of year.

The cloud is breaking up to reveal some glorious winter sunshine, though that wind is really whipping up and blowing the snow everywhere.

Reminds me of March 1st 1980 when Manston's maximum of 0C made it the coldest March day for x-number of years...Tomorrow will undoubtedly tonk that. As did March 1st 1986...

Not quite as cold as the -22C recorded in Scotland in March 2001, though!:shok:

Posted

Well after being very doom and gloom this morning, we've had snow pretty much all day today. Some of it light and patchy but we've had some really heavy, blizzard-like bursts. Had about an inch, although the wind has created some deeper drifts. Looks very dry now on the radar. Will be nasty out there if it freezes tonight. Glad to see my Cambridgeshire gang got some snow today, and other areas that had been starved this week. Fingers' crossed for a little bit more over the next couple of days

Edited by icy toes

Posted

ln The BBC app bucks has heavy snow showers forecast most of the night - not expected

Posted

Just been out to dig my way to the garage so I can get food from the freezer. A good foot of standing snow but opened the gate onto our easterly facing drive and its 2-3ft deep in drift. No way is the car going anywhere (neighbour tried with his snow tyres on and still got stuck). Nice and bright now but bitter in the wind that's increasing. Don't think we've got any warmer than -2c today.

Is that it for Norfolk....

Posted

The shower broke up.. That seems to be it for today. It will be interesting to see how low the temperature gets here overnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
8 minutes ago, FiftyShadesofSnow said:

Wonder who wins the snow sweet spot in this thread come Fri night...my guess would be Lowestoft...

For this thread, I'd expect areas up near King's Lynn might have done better than us...?

Anywho, Monday's temperature-predictions are a tad concerning; they're going up and down faster than Katie Price's draws!:shok:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)
6 minutes ago, Bricriu said:

The shower broke up.. That seems to be it for today. It will be interesting to see how low the temperature gets here overnight.

I doubt very much that that is the end of the ppn for today. The North Sea is still being very productive, with a good stream of shower activity (albeit lighter) heading towards NW London. Still more top-up's to come.

EDIT: Lovely pictures Moogyboobles!

Edited by Sno' problem
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme warmth And Extreme blizzards.
55 minutes ago, Norfolk_N_chance said:

I don't understand why there are lots of showers to the North and South but next to none over Norfolk? Are we likely to get more showers later?

It's like there's a massive shield diverting the showers and leaving us in the sun

Brancaster and best sledge ever ; )

20180226_160002.jpg

20180228_154115.jpg

20180228_152949.jpg

20180228_153123.jpg

20180228_153032.jpg

20180228_152926.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

An extraordinary day less perhaps for the snow but for the temperature.

It never got above -2.8c here in lowland East London and there's still a bitter wind blowing if you do catch it.

I make that the coldest day for a good number of years (certainly since 2013 if not well before) and for that coldest day to happen on the last day of February rather than say late December or early January makes it doubly remarkable.

Had this synoptic set up occurred on December 28th rather than January 28th we'd probably not have got the volume of snow but the temperatures would have been incredibly low and it makes you wonder if some of the brutal frosts of olden times came out of synoptics such as those we are experiencing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, moogyboobles said:

Had a little walk by the Crouch about 7.30 am.

Wind picking up here now and the odd flurry now and then. Almost went for sledge up the hill but the wind chill put me off and a cup of tea won me over.
Nothing can be built from this quiet powdery snow. The lack of underfoot crunch was novel!

snow swf-1.jpg

snow swf-2.jpg

snow swf-3.jpg

snow swf-4.jpg

snow swf-5.jpg

snow swf-6.jpg

snow swf-7.jpg

snow swf-8.jpg

Lovely pictures. Thanks for sharing them.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Sno' problem said:

I doubt very much that that is the end of the ppn for today. The North Sea is still being very productive, with a good stream of shower activity (albeit lighter) heading towards NW London. Still more top-up's to come.

EDIT: Lovely pictures Moogyboobles!

Well it looks like you are right-  light snow here at the moment.:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy Winters, Hot and Sunny Summers - Never Mild!

Hello all!

OK. I'm real sorry but I'm about to RAMP hard! :)

The "Beast from the East" has truly and fully awakened in Central London!

2nd February 2009, 18th December 2010, 25th January 2013 and now adding 28th February 2018 to the list of best snowfall days Central London has gotten (In my lifetime!) :D

Went out and enjoyed the snowfall in Regents Park, snow as the eye could see with blue sky and the sun shining down....

DSC_0985.thumb.JPG.aaaaea20b8afe695f3d489494ec9b9d7.JPG

DSC_0988.thumb.JPG.b7abbcad7b2a7fb6588f6d1be1cbec44.JPG

DSC_0991.thumb.JPG.70daf1d14abd2f77ee8a5047b80a00fa.JPG

DSC_1005.thumb.JPG.9b8207b0f283bb2d4f6b6b856935033b.JPG

:yahoo::D:cold:

The pond froze over....for Central London, that is mightly impressive!!!! :shok:

DSC_1010.thumb.JPG.97a8a00f95170e647a59ab9bfe4cda85.JPG

DSC_1072.thumb.JPG.b0f0d45c2c2ae2c7f3ffd9d32b82866c.JPG

And then....snowmageddon occurred giving heavy snowfall, a -15c windchill with snow blowing right into my face!!! Blizzard, whiteout conditions! :shok::shok::cold::cold:

It was EPIC!!!!!!! :D

DSC_1093.thumb.JPG.e33b4cc838c54fa9fc58b3c080118618.JPG

DSC_1096.thumb.JPG.416063811560a01e6dd52a7438cd312c.JPG

DSC_1112.thumb.JPG.58d7b21da38d082f32d98a632aa660a2.JPG

Best snow day I have ever experienced!!! :D:yahoo::cold:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)
1 minute ago, saint said:

Hey @Sno' problem, another entertaining day so far! Any thoughts on what we could expect going into tomorrow and Friday? 

It's been great hasn't it?

As far as the next couple of days go, I think that we will still see a fair amount of shower activity coming off the North Sea overnight tonight, but the current track of Storm Emma seems to be going slightly too far West for us to be getting too much ppn from it on Thursday into Friday. The further West you are, the more likely you will see heavier snow, but things can and will change. It is very hard to forecast the track of storms, so it will be a case of nowcasting.

Beyond that, the temps look like they will rise from Saturday onwards, so the ppn could easily turn to rain, especially on the Southern edge. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Thank you @Bricriu and @Sno' problem it's been so long I've seen ice on the Crouch.
It's a shame I didn't quite get myself together and out the door fast enough to catch the heavier snowfall. But then it's a miracle I was out, snow is one of the few things that will get me up early!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Copious amounts of snow and ice days

Wind is really drifting the snow off the fields, some of the local single track roads running North to South are now impassable.

Drifting could be the real issue overnight for some of the villages.

Posted
Just now, Shutterbug Netty said:

Super heavy snow here again, covering the bits that had melted within minutes!!

tracking that shower, hoping it is coming my way

• Like 1