Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

Captain Shortwave

Posted
1 minute ago, ITSY said:

Dusting to the west of cambridge now, radar looks good for the next hour or two. Could scrap an inch or two if we’re very lucky. Got an inch in half an hour in Cambridge itself on Monday so when the showers align well, I can see how the more coastal areas have done so well. Heavier snow falling now. (Typical as I need to get a train shortly to london!!)

where is this snow moving doesn't it go up? on gfs

Posted
1 minute ago, ITSY said:

Dusting to the west of cambridge now, radar looks good for the next hour or two. Could scrap an inch or two if we’re very lucky. Got an inch in half an hour in Cambridge itself on Monday so when the showers align well, I can see how the more coastal areas have done so well. Heavier snow falling now. (Typical as I need to get a train shortly to london!!)

Check the train operator website many trains are cancelled

Posted

Just had a 5 minute breather and we’re off again! Wind definitely picking up now drifting will come into play! Haven’t said that in years. Plus will help push more showers inland so all you guys and girls in the West will get some action too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Amazing stuff this morning in North Norfolk woken up to about 5" of snow and its snowed pretty much non-stop all morning. 

Bit worried now as there's a gap in the radar but hoping some more showers will be along soon, hopefully a good bit of convection will dump a load more or at least keep cloud cover up to stop the sun melting it. 

Edited by Richard Waugh
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Heavy continuous snow in Chingford now. Sky’s are solid! Defo streamer setting up 

starting to settle on main roads

Edited by john mac
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

AS expected, the blizzard that started about 100 yards from the Jobcentre has now almost stopped...And, also as expected, none of the employers and but a handful of DWP staff managed to get to work...

I warned them about the snow, when I was there last Wednesday!:yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
7 minutes ago, john mac said:

Heavy continuous snow in Chingford now. Sky’s are solid! Defo streamer setting up 

starting to settle on main roads

Good good, I'm at work in central London, snow is just scraping us here. Will be heading home shortly back to Chingford. Hopefully we get more snow for the rest of the afternoon.

Posted

snow depth of 2.5cm fell from thst band over night at around 4-530 am 

heaviest I've seen for ages 

massive shower approaching looks like it could last a good hour 

showing heavy :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Looks like we have bit of a streamer situation in the south of the region at the moment, the radar is showing showers just feeding in from the sea. We've had another hour or snow of continuous heavy snow.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, Blazerblue said:

Sky is really dark now, heavy snow......again. Is this gonna end today or just keep on coming?

There's a sunny interval coming in from the east...the giant yellow-white anvil cloud following it looks okay!:yahoo:

Posted

Stopped here with clouds breaking and brightening up now which is a shame, looking good many areas of the region but I fear that might be it for over ‘ere

Edited by Nimbusman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

We have a good 7-8 inches here with more falling, and it's drifting slightly in the wind.  I'm unable to go out as even my offroad wheelchair would get melting snow in its electrics in this much. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Really surprised by the amount of snow here - plenty of beefy showers still piling in off the east coast. Nothing like some regions, but for us this far west to get as much as we have, I'm chuffed!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

A11 - cars turned round to go back, lorries to stay on apparently.

A47 currently, pics courtesy of some local delivery drivers. 

A11.jpg

A47.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
Just now, Nimbusman said:

Stopped here and clouds breaking and brightening up now which is a shame, looking good many areas of the region but I fear that might be it for over ‘ere

Don't fear - you've done better than most! A mere 1-2cm here near Cambs 

Posted
1 minute ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

We have a good 7-8 inches here with more falling, and it's drifting slightly in the wind.  I'm unable to go out as even my offroad wheelchair would get melting snow in its electrics in this much. 

To tell the truth i am glad i had to postpone my journey as i like to look at it but i dont actually want to be going anywhere in it.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
58 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Now up to 11cms here, 10 miles west of Ipswich. My interest now is the strengthening easterly wind. First of all, for those in the west of the Region this could see showers reaching further inland. But secondly, the snow lying on tree branches and roofs is already being blown about. I can see problems later as the wind gradually increases. Gusts of up to 40mph by this afternoon will see this dry, powdery snow getting blown off fields, etc., and possibly blocking roads. Despite snow showers easing, will places experience 'ground blizzards' later on?

Arpege gusts 14.00 5a967f9fa5be0_ArpegeGustsWed28Feb14_00.thumb.png.fe608cec9664ea71bb99099189a7422a.png

Edit: Have the Met Office lifted their Amber warning too early? It expired at 10.00 and it's still moderate snowfall here with worsening conditions.

That's my concern, Malcolm - we've got more here than you have, and main roads around here, even the A11 and A47, are closed due to accidents and abandoned vehicles.

• Like 1