Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

Captain Shortwave

Posted

A couple of CMs here in NW London. Not expecting anything else away from the coasts as the winds veer south easterly. I think Thursdays precipitation will be to far west, although expect another couple of cms on Friday.

Posted

It’s been an event for here thats for sure. The beast took a while but has awakened overnight and delivered, steady moderate snow and now heavy again now! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy Winters, Hot and Sunny Summers - Never Mild!
8 minutes ago, Uxbridge90 said:

There's some coming through fairly soon which might just clip you, other than that it looks fairly quiet from where you are southwards today as the winds change and there seems to be less instability - I'd keep an eye on tomorrow and Friday for anything significant.

On another note - bitterly cold start at -5.3c at the moment but actually fine without the wind, a light dusting over night but still not as good as the snow we got earlier during the winter.

I think your right. London hot a good pasting during December 2017, but that snow was sourced from the Atlantic (Frontal Snow) Whereas the snow we got now is more powdery snow off from the North Sea. I think Thurs/Fri will give us that wet snow in bigger accumulations. :)

Posted

Nothing here in the Cambridgeshire corridor of shame. Seems we might be the only area in the region without snow. Even the heavy stuff coming through on the radar looks like missing us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
21 minutes ago, john mac said:

Anything else coming on the radar for this area?

Doesn’t look like it, all going north of us into N Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire etc. Winds SE now so doubt we’ll see much more today. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, icy toes said:

Nothing here in the Cambridgeshire corridor of shame. Seems we might be the only area in the region without snow. Even the heavy stuff coming through on the radar looks like missing us.

About a CM here this morning but we are right on the edge of where it fizzles out. Looked promising earlier but its all just fizzling as soon as it gets inland - typically what I'd expect from this kind of set up! Never mind. South & East Cambs is just not the place to be in an Easterly... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

@emma- the track still not nailed and could be to far west as a whole.

Anyhow as she draws-and pivots she draws in yet more moisture across the region....highly likely all see snow region wide.

Thurs/fri...

With potential blizzards in prone areas!!

Out west....looking best...as we stand.

gfs-0-54.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, tight isobar said:

@emma- the track still not nailed and could be to far west as a whole.

Anyhow as she draws-and pivots she draws in yet more moisture across the region....highly likely all see snow region wide.

gfs-0-54.png

Looking likely we'll get snow but just how much is the question... the models vary with every output from a proper dump to just a 2-3cm event. 

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, icy toes said:

You’ll be getting yours this morning

i expect s Herts will be one of the lowest totals at our longtitude when the day is out 

hopefully we are just west enough tomorrow to catch the edge of the frontal snow as it pivots nw. Seems unlikely though

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, Matty88 said:

Looking likely we'll get snow but just how much is the question... the models vary with every output from a proper dump to just a 2-3cm event. 

Yes-agree m8.

The potential remains for disruptive amounts.

I personaly look forwards to tracking her making inroads.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Just looking on the met office twitter feed and run the sequence for today and there’s definitely potential for more snow for this region this evening!!

Posted
16 minutes ago, icy toes said:

We have nothing at all in Milton Keynes either.  Had a brief flurry yesterday and a few flakes this morning but nothing on the ground now and nothing else destined for us apart from maybe an inch Friday night /Saturday morning

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
2 minutes ago, john mac said:

Just looking on the met office twitter feed and run the sequence for today and there’s definitely potential for more snow for this region this evening!!

Yes, just seen the precipitation forecast in the Met office app and it even looks like we could get more snow showers this afternoon. BBC app showing the same, heavy snow showers between 12 and 5 for Chingford (but always take the apps with a pinch of salt)

Posted
19 minutes ago, icy toes said:

Look out the window in like 30 mins. A huge blob just passed Ipswich and is gaining strength, heading right to Cambridge.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers, Cold Winters.
20 minutes ago, icy toes said:

That’s amazing IT, I think you are about 20 miles south of me and I am looking out on 4-5inches, those showers coming in off the wash last night is what did it for us. Unfortunately, the big showers to our east look like fizzling out before they reach us.

Posted

Amazing phenomenal- here in uxbridge ..@snow diamonds..

Snowing without cloud cover!!!!

Where the air is so fridged yet picking up moisture with falling flackes /crystals..

In brilliant sunshine.....

20180228_083544.jpg

20180228_083531.jpg

20180228_083522.jpg

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, danm said:

Yes, just seen the precipitation forecast in the Met office app and it even looks like we could get more snow showers this afternoon. BBC app showing the same, heavy snow showers between 12 and 5 for Chingford (but always take the apps with a pinch of salt)

Tbh I don’t bother with apps. If you go on the met office twitter feed and look at the video sequence they put out this morning for the day. You can see what I mean with the wind swinging back more easterly again.

Posted
2 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

Amazing phenomenal- here in uxbridge ..@snow diamonds..

Snowing without cloud cover!!!!

Where the air is so fridged yet picking up moisture with falling flackes /crystals..

In brilliant sunshine.....

Yeah I had that yesterday morning. It’s incredible

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, john mac said:

Tbh I don’t bother with apps. If you go on the met office twitter feed and look at the video sequence they put out this morning for the day. You can see what I mean with the wind swinging back more easterly again.

Me neither...as far as I can tell, apps change in response to each and every model run?

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

Me neither...as far as I can tell, apps change in response to each and every model run?

Yeah they’re crap at forecasting and just change with each run that comes out.

about as much use as a chocolate teapot!!

Posted

I'm eating humble pie. After being annoyed at the lack of snow Sunday/Monday I've now got over 20cm and it's started snowing again. It's mad here in Norwich, all the busses are cancelled, roads at a standstill. My kids went out and the snow is over the top of their wellies (all the schools are closed). 

• Like 3