Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme warmth And Extreme blizzards.

Must be a wind up being grouped as we are North London and rural East Anglia. Easterly do effect coastal communities Don,t know why Netweather done this. .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Ice and cold sunny days with blue skies.

A beautiful dry bright and sunny day here and a dry snowless night so far.....disappointed to say the least.

C4B6EBF4-C824-4966-9C25-BB5696B0FBBA.jpeg

Posted
3 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

If you want to see some live snow check this out, Kent again

http://www.camsecure.co.uk/whitstable_beach_webcam.html

Thanks...and while I'm at it I'll watch a video of someone winning the lottery...:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring, Autumn, Snow ..... not, I repeat, not heatwaves!!
3 minutes ago, Big Snow said:

Thanks...and while I'm at it I'll watch a video of someone winning the lottery...:)

I was thinking the same /......... oh we did get snow today, I think around 0.1mm!!

Posted
3 minutes ago, rodthrutheblock said:

A beautiful dry bright and sunny day here and a dry snowless night so far.....disappointed to say the least.

C4B6EBF4-C824-4966-9C25-BB5696B0FBBA.jpeg

Hey, don't complain. Its clear from this that you have had more snow than many in our region :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted

Londoners not amused tonight. I lived there for 21 years and it was rare that we had decent snow, only 79,81,87 and 91 stand out in my memory. 

If it's any consolation, I miss the sultry hot summer days due to the sea breezes round here and there's often a thunderstorm shield in place around Colchester.

Horses for courses I guess. Ultimately being able to buy a 3 bedroom house for less than £200k is what keeps me here.    

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)
26 minutes ago, Team Jo said:

Just watching the radar animation and the showers in the N. Sea look to be intensifying and grouping together. Also helped by a more easterly nudge to the wind.

Yup, hopefully they keep clumping as they move through the Thames Estuary.

Posted

bigger showers now starting to form and very heavy ones heading now easterly 

out from the sea 

should start seeing more coming in land by midnight 

Posted
10 minutes ago, Big Snow said:

I am reaching peak frustration. Can't see anything exciting for north London tonight, showers seem to die as soon as they reach land. Although someone correct me if I'm missing something.

Frustrating couple of days for the north London massive - even that blizzard that crossed London missed me earlier, and dropped an inch in Ealing, literally 15 minutes' drive away.

Hey ho, it's only the weather!

Amen brother. Looking at these charts last week most of us would have been amazed if we weren't under 5cm by now at the very least. 

Still, I've enjoyed the extremely rare phenomenon of wearing full winter clothing on the Tube and still feeling cold. And our Indian folks in the office were staring in awe at the flurrys we had on Monday. For some of them it was their first sight of snow.

• Like 3

Posted

heavy thunder-snow shower heading this way look at all the strikes of the coast!!

Posted
7 minutes ago, Big Snow said:

I am reaching peak frustration. Can't see anything exciting for north London tonight, showers seem to die as soon as they reach land. Although someone correct me if I'm missing something.

Frustrating couple of days for the north London massive - even that blizzard that crossed London missed me earlier, and dropped an inch in Ealing, literally 15 minutes' drive away.

Hey ho, it's only the weather!

I know all about it. I could barely believe it when i drove nearby Ealing. The low temperatures have been the most impressive thing about this cold spell so far:)

Posted

4 minutes ago, Sno' problem said:

Yup, hopefully they keep clumping as they move through the Thames Estuary.

Any idea why they seem to be dying as they hit the estuary? Seems to be the opposite to what's needed for a streamer...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)
1 minute ago, Big Snow said:

Any idea why they seem to be dying as they hit the estuary? Seems to be the opposite to what's needed for a streamer...

Look at what is happening on the North Kent coast. As soon as the winds swing further then they should start making their way further down the Thames. But even then, a Thames streamer (if it does evolve)) can be VERY localised. It isn't a case of will it snow here, more of "Oh...It's snowing". Those around the Thames and South of it fare a better chance, so don't expect anything outside of the warning area. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
5 minutes ago, Wivenswold said:

Londoners not amused tonight. I lived there for 21 years and it was rare that we had decent snow, only 79,81,87 and 91 stand out in my memory. 

If it's any consolation, I miss the sultry hot summer days due to the sea breezes round here and there's often a thunderstorm shield in place around Colchester.

Horses for courses I guess. Ultimately being able to buy a 3 bedroom house for less than £200k is what keeps me here.    

To be fair, if you discount the last 4 winters which were generally crap UK wide, London has had its fair share of heavy snowfall. If you look back through the run of winters from 08/09 to 2012/13, we had heavy snowfalls in each of those winters. Feb 2009, Jan 2010, Nov/Dec 2010, Feb 2012, Jan/Feb 2013. 

Plus in north London we had a good snowfall back in December - 3/4 inches. Many of the places down in Kent getting heavy snow now missed out on that in December. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Showers still making it as far as Norwich but tending to lose their intensity once they come inland by 20 miles or so. Further south they look to be heavier and sustaining quite nicely over the Suffolk coast.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Sno' problem said:

Look at what is happening on the North Kent coast. As soon as the winds swing further then they should start making their way further down the Thames. But even then, a Thames streamer (if it does evolve)) can be VERY localised. It isn't a case of will it snow here, more of "Oh...It's snowing". Those around the Thames and South of it fare a better chance, so don't expect anything outside of the warning area. 

Much obliged for the explanation :)

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, danm said:

To be fair, if you discount the last 4 winters which were generally crap UK wide, London has had its fair share of heavy snowfall. If you look back through the run of winters from 08/09 to 2012/13, we had heavy snowfalls in each of those winters. Feb 2009, Jan 2010, Nov/Dec 2010, Feb 2012, Jan/Feb 2013. 

Plus in north London we had a good snowfall back in December - 3/4 inches. Many of the places down in Kent getting heavy snow now missed out on that in December. 

I've been reminiscing to myself about late January 2003, about four inches in a couple of hours. From a north-easterly, I believe. 

It's a mis-conception that London is snowless, like you say, but it does seem an awfully long time now!

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Let’s compare our cms  in the morning.

at the moment, the people with snow are vastly outnumbered by those without. 

Lets hope the next 12 hours rectifies that!

I'm losing hope. I keep going outside to check if shower clouds are building up, but all i see are the stars. It's hard to take, we have all the boxes ticked for snow, yet the showers are not as frequent or potent,  well inland, as expected- at least so far.

Edited by Bricriu
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme warmth And Extreme blizzards.
7 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

Showers still making it as far as Norwich but tending to lose their intensity once they come inland by 20 miles or so. Further south they look to be heavier and sustaining quite nicely over the Suffolk coast.

Its been crazy here on the coast. Drifting against the pub door. Fall in and out. 

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Big Snow said:

I've been reminiscing to myself about late January 2003, about four inches in a couple of hours. From a north-easterly, I believe. 

It's a mis-conception that London is snowless, like you say, but it does seem an awfully long time now!

There was also a decent snowfall in Cricklewood back in March 2013. Maybe we have to wait till it's March...:rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Very quiet in here. Down to -6c here in Waltham abbey.